1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by sunnyd, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    The guard not so much as the end of the blade. When the guard rolled past the cam on the welt, the tip wanted to rock up into the upper stitches. That area is not normally welted. It is now.

2. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Dylan, I noticed this in the other thread! Wow! This is an absolutely beautifully made knife. :thumbsup: :)

Bloefield and Pàdruig like this.
  3. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Western L48 (pre-1960)
    [​IMG]

4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I just got this one in today, and made a quick leather sheath to replace the plastic one that comes with them.
    [​IMG]

chuck4570, spike116, edbeau and 12 others like this.
  5. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    A gift from a student. Rocky Menefee fixed blade:

[​IMG]

6. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I found out that Cold Steel was making a knife very similar to the Western W49 so I had to check it out. Got it in the other day and had a good chuckle.... In typical Cold Steel fashion they went and made the knife enormous. It's so absurd that I actually kind of like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    "That's a knife!"

8. hawaiianhawk

hawaiianhawk

Dec 25, 2009
    Wow, they really went and expanded that Wild West Bowie. The W49 is not a small knife.

chuck4570 likes this.
  9. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    Holy cow! I just gotta ask, when does a blade go from "knife" to "small sword" ?? Good looking knife though :thumbsup:

chuck4570 and Aryan29 like this.
  10. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Maybe when it's a Grosse Messer?! ;)

[​IMG]

11. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I still need to make a sheath or scabbard for it, which I may start after work today depending on how I feel.
    [​IMG]

It started as this
    [​IMG]
    I just modified the blade a bit, made the guard, and attached the silver cutlery handle.

12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Very cool project :thumbsup:

chuck4570 likes this.
  13. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Thanks.
    I was inspired by the common Victorian era Sheffield made dress bowies which of course is not something I could ever afford.
    The knife cost me $50 ,and the carving fork I took the handle off cost me $5.
    That's much leas than authentic examples run, and at least the handle is Sheffield made. :D

The plan is a center seam sheath with a stud, hopefully I can pull it off.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Very imaginative :) Looking forward to seeing the completed project :thumbsup:

chuck4570 likes this.
  15. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Hopefully it turns out okay.

I'm not 100% happy with how the swedge came out, but nobody does a long swedge like the Sheffield cutlers uses to.

chuck4570 and Jack Black like this.
  16. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Whatcha do with the old handle???

chuck4570 likes this.
  17. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I still have everything except the pommel nut, which went back onto the tang before gluing.

chuck4570 and Ebbtide like this.
  18. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    New arrival! I'm chuffed.
    [​IMG]

chuck4570, Bloefield, jmh33 and 5 others like this.
  19. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Kabar.jpg P5260185.jpg
    I ordered myself a US Army Kabar for Memorial day and it came in today! Woo, Merica! So Ive been using my military type knives around the house here. Im thinking I might need to get an Air Force Survival knife for July 4th...maybe a MACV SOG knife from Bark River if I find a suitcase full of money on the street... :D lol

20. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    A Western L36 variant, this one a Craftsman branded knife with a beautiful tooled sheath, approximately late 1940s.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]