Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Just finished up this knife yesterday morning. Will be my new moose hunting blade. 1/8" D2. 10" OAL with 4.75" blade.
kQ3QK9S.jpg

Wanted something like a nessmuk, smaller than my brisa and stainless for food prep. I bought this Buck just to try it and play with modifications. I ground down the handguard, gave the handle parts a less shiny finish and made a trad pouch style leather sheath. I will do a slight resharpening to try different bevel. Let's see how this works.

oKlREvR.jpg

Wanted something like a nessmuk, smaller than my brisa and stainless for food prep. I bought this Buck just to try it and play with modifications. I ground down the handguard, gave the handle parts a less shiny finish and made a trad pouch style leather sheath. I will do a slight resharpening to try different bevel. Let's see how this works.

oKlREvR.jpg
Did you change your mind about the Grohmann boat knife for the purpose?

oKlREvR.jpg

It's interesting to try side by side the Brisa nessmuk, this Buck and the Grohhman boat knife. I made a dinner of liver, potatoes and some zucchini spiced with lemon, thyme, garlic and pepper. Cutting the liver and zucchini I used these knives all in turn. The Buck, now that I have re-sharpened it, cuts meat effortlessly, but slicing the zucchini I noticed how the shoulder of the hollow grind drags in the material when cutting deep. The boat knife has a bit of the same problem because of the saber grind, as does the Brisa nessmuk, they wedge in materials. Cutting meat is about the same, allhough the Buck hast the slight edge here. So really there is no substitute for full flat grind in food prep. The ergonomics however in the boat knife are much better than in the Buck, followed closely by Brisa.

Wow - my friend that’s a beauty!

- many thanks, Duncan :thumbsup: It's my first Bowie from a UK maker - lovely fella called Bones - sadly I don't think he's making any longer.

I'm awaiting some details, but believe the blade is likely 5100 bearing steel.

Just received, so a few more pics...

Bones Bowie 01 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

Bones Bowie 02 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

Bones Bowie 03 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

Bones Bowie 04 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

Bones Bowie 05 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

Bones Bowie 06 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

Bones Bowie 07 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

- many thanks, Duncan :thumbsup: It's my first Bowie from a UK maker - lovely fella called Bones - sadly I don't think he's making any longer.

I'm awaiting some details, but believe the blade is likely 5100 bearing steel.

Just received, so a few more pics...

Bones Bowie 01 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

Bones Bowie 02 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

Bones Bowie 03 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

Bones Bowie 04 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

Bones Bowie 05 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

Bones Bowie 06 by Paul Chui, on Flickr

Bones Bowie 07 by Paul Chui, on Flickr
Wanna trade? This one is fully customizable!
it0TK2y.jpg

Back