Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Now I get it! I've always looked at the hole in the handle of these knives, and thought "that's an odd place for a lanyard tube..."
But, seeing it next to the sheath in your photo, I now understand that it's a system designed to hold the knife in its sheath! Am I understanding it correctly, that the leather thong loop is threaded through the hole, and then looped back over the butt of the handle?

That is correct

Nice job breathing some life into that old stacked-handle knife, Poez! Do you know who the maker was? I didn't see any identifying marks in the pics.

Thanks Smithhammer! I am pretty sure it is RH36 knife, though it indeed has no markings whatsoever, not even a trace.

Right now it looks a bit unbalanced, the blade is too shiny after all the cleaning and regrinding. But as it gets covered with patina I hope the pitting will be less noticeable and overall look better.

Last edited:
Thank you JB !!! I can respect that with ALL my heart :)
:SALUTE: to all who are serving or have served our country

Her great uncle was killed in a freak training accident aboard the USS Yorktown (CV-5) just days before it was sunk. He was awarded the DFC posthumously for his actions at Bougainville a few months earlier. He was defending the USS Lexington (CV-2) against Japanese bombers. The family still has the bell from the destroyer named for him.

Thank you for your service to our country Jim.

Last edited:
AWESOME JB !!! Incredible actually. Thank you for sharing that.
All gave some and some gave all. Her great uncle's service is not forgotten nor unappreciated :SALUTE:

Old School Dervish Zanshin:

668cf03f-68c3-4ef9-ae7e-815c3e10b1b2_zps8e9a74a8.jpg

John doesn't do many fixed blades these days.

I just picked this knife up at a thrift store. I haven't done anything to it yet. It definitely needs an oil rub...

The blade has seen better days, and it is not the best example for markings, but the price was right.:D

20150215_174106_zpskghcd0we.jpg

20150215_174125_zpswhxjmraw.jpg

20150215_174136_zpsvnyivp24.jpg

I have a similar project and cannot get the pin out of the pommel... how did you do it?

I first drilled one end of a pin not too deeply, just to allow the very end to contract on itself if necessary and then hammered it out using a nail set - from the same side. It would probably go out OK without drilling, but I thought that would be a good idea, and not too hard to do.

Last edited:
X 2! That blade has a lot of potential (and built-in mojo). I'll be curious to see it after it's been given the spa treatment. :thumbup:

Thanks guys!

Since it isn't in great shape, I figure I wouldn't be hurting anything to give it the full treatment, right? If it was in better shape, I would leave it alone. I'll repost it after.:thumbup:

Somewhere down the road I'll make a little sheath too.

My Puma White Hunter my Dad gave me. He got it in Germany in the 60's

puma.gif

I have the same exact knives I got from my father, he bought it in the 1969 from South Ridge mall and payed $35.00 for it.Was a lot of money back then.

New purchase: 3.25" blade coureur de bois knife from Dean Oliver (Rivertraders) with sheath by Ralph Williams (Bear Tooth Leather). (Wampum belt is a old family item.)

The sheath has a belt loop, but the whole thing is small enough that it easily disappears into the pocket of an outdoor coat.

tumblr_nkchgvx5rT1r4zf5xo2_1280.jpg

Back