Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Very lovely 6445R screened porch screened porch ! I don't think you're looking at a failure of chrome plating though -- this is just 80-100-yr old carbon steel that has a few spots. Did you really pay $25 for it? This knife is worth 8-10x that amount, in my opinion anyway.

Congratulations!

Myron
Thank you. I thought $25 was a steal, given condition and prewar can-opener. I still resisted it, because I have many such knives of many ages, and I was buying something else, but this is my only Case Scout., so I had to go back for it.

Zqmutr3.jpg

Last edited:
If you're asking "Is the punch/awl/reamer between two blades normal?"
On all my scout/camp knifes that blade is between a blade and liner.

If yours is between two blades, can you open the punch/awl/reamer without opening one of the other blades first?

If not, it sounds to me like someone had the knife apart and reassembled it wrong.

Yes, the awl inside the main blade. I will take pics of it open, because it's also been ground to a mini-screwdriver. It seats well, but just looks odd.

My guess is a previous owner took it apart for whatever excuse, then reassembled it wrong ... reversed the main and punch/awl/reamer positions.
"Normally" (at least on all of mine with a top side in-line punch. SAK puts the punch on as a bottom tool) the spear point and punch share the same spring, with the punch on the outside, between the blade and liner, the punch's nail nick is the only one on the pile side, and is accessable without opening another blade first.
View attachment 2449762
(Left to Right: (offshore) Marbles MR592; circa 1980 Ulster "Official BSA"; Böker "Magnum" from roughly 2017; 1975 Army Reserves issued "Demo" knife; 2023 Marbles MR278)

My Scout Camp knives with a pen blade rather than a punch (AKA: "Engineer's Knife") have the pen blade in the same position and opening from the pile side.
View attachment 2449763
(Left to Right: Czech Republic Mikov; circa 1947 to 1955 Imperial; Vic Evogrip 10 to show the typical position of the SAK top side pen blade (or fingernail file, depending on model) and bottom side punch.)

EDIT:
On all of mine the main blade and can opener are pivoted on the same end.

Last edited:
One of the best large Scouts / Campers available today is this 4.25" closed RR Stagbone. Main spear blade is just over 3 inches in length (its a beast). Blades are carbon steel. Love the large size and impressive quality for the $25 price. Nice line impressed bolsters and black scale liners. No gaps in the springs! Just thrilled with the knife...

RR-Stag-Scout-C-2.jpg

Jiki Jiki , looking at the can opener, I am guessing that the thumb stud goes on the lip of the can.

I also guess that there is a reason that this type of can opener is not produced anymore.

Back