Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Is the Johnny on the Spot GEC knife considered to be a camp knife?
That's a good question, the fact it has a knotch to hold bits leaves me a "bit" perplexed, but last moose hunt we had a cordless drill in camp to post some polar bear deterrent around windows and doors at the shack in the bush,it ran out of power.hmm enquiry minds want to know.but punch preferred 😀

That's a good question, the fact it has a knotch to hold bits leaves me a "bit" perplexed, but last moose hunt we had a cordless drill in camp to post some polar bear deterrent around windows and doors at the shack in the bush,it ran out of power.hmm enquiry minds want to know.but punch preferred 😀
Originally many years ago there were "automobilist" knives that had a screwdriver blade with a 1/4" square hole it. These were Prest-O-Lite knives, and the square hole was for opening and closing the valve on the acetylene gas tank that powered the headlights. Later there were similar knives that had a skate key instead of a Prest-O-Lite key.

I didn't know until this year (thanks to Jack Black Jack Black kindly sending me a copy of his article) that this pattern was the common traditional scout knife pattern in the UK. I absolutely love the design. it looks a bit smaller and more handy than my full size rope knife/USN Rigging knife.

I think that next time people are floating their dream forum knives, I will be switching mine from a Whaler to a Sea Scout knife.

I didn't know until this year (thanks to Jack Black Jack Black kindly sending me a copy of his article) that this pattern was the common traditional scout knife pattern in the UK. I absolutely love the design. it looks a bit smaller and more handy than my full size rope knife/USN Rigging knife.

I think that next time people are floating their dream forum knives, I will be switching mine from a Whaler to a Sea Scout knife.
The Ulster Sea Scout knife was one of my decade long grail knives that I was looking for... a very thoughtful member of The Porch knew this and although I don't think he wanted to part with it, he decided to give me the opportunity to add it to my collection. I have all of the original Dwight Divine Scout knives in pretty decent shape; the ULSC4C (BSA #1503) has a broken can opener so I am always on the watch for a better example of that one. It's the one bottom left in my picture. The Ulster Girl Scout knives are really great EDC's... a scaled down version of the larger Boy Scout model.

My final "grail" knife for my Ulster Scout collection is the ULCC4B, which is similar to the original ones only with mother of pearl handles. I think waynorth waynorth posted a picture of one in the past, I might have to look for that in the BF threads and link to it. Beautiful knife. <EDITED... SEE NEXT POST>

I found a regular Ulster model of the Sea Scout at a local antique shop which stunned me... I had not seen that one posted anywhere before, added that pic below.

https://scoutknives.net/index.php/boy-scout-knives-1/ulster

ULSTER-BS1.JPG
ULSTERS-1A.JPG

Last edited:
Charlie's was an Empire mother of pearl Scout knife... still a beauty :D

I did buy an Ulster mother of pearl scout knife off of "the Bay" one time... but it was a fake. Someone added MOP handles to the standard BSA #1502. The seller had no idea and he returned my money at least. He gave me the "I was selling it for a friend" routine... LoL. ;)

Real nice collection, Kevin!! You are a dedicated seeker of the beautiful!!:D
FYI, Empire also made a Pearl Scout!!:cool: Probably as hard to find as an Ulster though! This is my second one. I had a "place-holder" relic until I finally found this one!!:p;)View attachment 1513819 View attachment 1513820 View attachment 1513824 View attachment 1513826 View attachment 1513828 View attachment 1513829

The Ulster Sea Scout knife was one of my decade long grail knives that I was looking for... a very thoughtful member of The Porch knew this and although I don't think he wanted to part with it, he decided to give me the opportunity to add it to my collection. I have all of the original Dwight Divine Scout knives in pretty decent shape; the ULSC4C (BSA #1503) has a broken can opener so I am always on the watch for a better example of that one. It's the one bottom left in my picture. The Ulster Girl Scout knives are really great EDC's... a scaled down version of the larger Boy Scout model.

My final "grail" knife for my Ulster Scout collection is the ULCC4B, which is similar to the original ones only with mother of pearl handles. I think waynorth waynorth posted a picture of one in the past, I might have to look for that in the BF threads and link to it. Beautiful knife. <EDITED... SEE NEXT POST>

I found a regular Ulster model of the Sea Scout at a local antique shop which stunned me... I had not seen that one posted anywhere before, added that pic below.

https://scoutknives.net/index.php/boy-scout-knives-1/ulster

View attachment 2484238
View attachment 2484240

That is a very nice collection. That Girl Scouts knife does look like a very nice size for an every day carry scout knife. I love these classic scout patterns, each and every one.

Here are a couple oddball Solingen-made 182-style humpbacks. One is branded REX and the other is marked only with the mysterious number 404701. I'd love it if anybody knew anything about either of these makes. I've been told that the stylized Solingen word mark was introduced in 1972, so I know the mystery knife is later than that.

hbwZAj4.jpg

VPDoZM5.jpg

M0je6SE.jpg

hhMbAnF.jpg

tN7yIrV.jpg

Here are a couple oddball Solingen-made 182-style humpbacks. One is branded REX and the other is marked only with the mysterious number 404701. I'd love it if anybody knew anything about either of these makes. I've been told that the stylized Solingen word mark was introduced in 1972, so I know the mystery knife is later than that.
Here is a Boker and a Remington - very similar!!!Boker rem scout comp 1.jpgBoker rem scout comp 2.jpg

Back