Lets talk GEC!

I feel like I need to clarify that I am going to try like hell to get a black plum 47 in the loliscramble and put immediately in use.

I think effort is the wrong word. Uniformity and uniqueness is more what I am referring to. I personally like all jigging on gec knives. I just prefer the more unique jigging patterns when compared to a more uniform approach like on the black plums. Your waynorth looks awesome Jiki Jiki
Random jigging vs uniform jigging is certainly a different discussion and one I would agree with the preference of random over uniform.

Yeah effort is the wrong word - ‘care’ is better to describe what I meant. And its not that I dislike the jigging, its fine. Its more frustration - that when all the other aspects of the knife are so well done, they may as well go for something of higher visual quality to complete the deal

Yeah effort is the wrong word - ‘care’ is better to describe what I meant. And its not that I dislike the jigging, its fine. Its more frustration - that when all the other aspects of the knife are so well done, they may as well go for something of higher visual quality to complete the deal
If you are implying that they don't care I disagree with that as well.

On the other hand if you are saying there is levels of jigging and you believe that this is one of the lower levels and the choice to use it was poor, I would say you are entitled to your opinion.

If we stay with that premise, this is the Tidioute line and I would expect them to use the "lower" tier jigging.

All righty then. There is only one knife left on the schedule. What is our Christmas present going to be from GEC? Or no new schedule before Christmas?

These mask requirements have been getting down right silly around here.
EGj9J20.jpg

Ok quick couple of questions, first does all of GEC's barlows have a corresponding jack on the same frame? Second I wonder if they'll do an 86 barlow, not that I could snag one if they did lol.

All of the Barlows they have done have had a corresponding Jack - 77s, 15s, 14s, 25s. An #86 Barlow would be really cool but yeah, it might break the internet.

I also think they could tweak the 97's a bit and do a daddy barlow but thats asking to much I reckon :p

That would be an interesting design direction. Out of all of the old catalogs that I have perused that feature the large swell center jack (or coke bottle), I haven't seen any that would qualify as a sort of Barlow, nor have I seen any originals.

That said, S&M made one with a neat bolster stamp and though it has an end cap, it would be a passable looking daddy barlow. If GEC ever endeavors to make the #97 again, I would love to see them do a bare head version. Otherwise, I am still holding out for a medium coke bottle jack - that would be pretty swell (pun kind of intended :D).

Ok quick couple of questions, first does all of GEC's barlows have a corresponding jack on the same frame? Second I wonder if they'll do an 86 barlow, not that I could snag one if they did lol.

All of the Barlows they have done have had a corresponding Jack - 77s, 15s, 14s, 25s. An #86 Barlow would be really cool but yeah, it might break the internet.

What Dylan said. :thumbsup:

Here are some photos, ‘cause why not? :D

#77 Barlows

ZeHqa51.jpg

#77 Yankee Jack

ua5jySI.jpg

#15 TC Barlow

zz1yTJv.jpg

#15 Huckleberry Boy’s Knife (Farm Boy)

dxj3aXO.jpg

#14 TC Barlows

LbyXkbb.jpg

#14 Lick Creek Boy’s Knife

5p7QAvQ.jpg

#25 Barlow

Fp6i7o0.jpg

#25 Little Jack

gHGzNZG.jpg

I keep hoping they’ll do a curved Barlow some day. Maybe on the #74 pattern? :D

PAChk2V.jpg

For the sake of consistency, here’s the non-Barlow #74 (which is the same knife :D).

F0TgGlE.jpg

They have made the Madison Barlow for Northwoods. This is an odd one, because Northwoods don’t use GEC’s pattern numbers. Some of them are obvious (and often released at the same time as standard GEC runs of the same pattern), but these were made starting back in 2014 (don’t quote me on that ;)) and, at least back then, had no GEC pattern equivalent. I found a 2016 Instagram post from GEC’s account that referred to it as the “44 Pattern Northwoods Madison Barlow,” but GEC has since made the #44, which is a gunstock pattern and obviously isn’t the same as the Madison.

22o9I70.jpg

While I haven’t been able to find any concrete confirmation, I think the #43 Oregon Trapper that GEC first made in 2018 is the same pattern as the Northwoods Madison Barlow. I only have one of each, but they are almost identical in size/shape.

kxC7oY1.jpg

#77 Barlows

ZeHqa51.jpg

#77 Yankee Jack

ua5jySI.jpg

#15 TC Barlow

zz1yTJv.jpg

dxj3aXO.jpg

#14 TC Barlows

LbyXkbb.jpg

5p7QAvQ.jpg

#25 Barlow

Fp6i7o0.jpg

#25 Little Jack

gHGzNZG.jpg

PAChk2V.jpg

For the sake of consistency, here’s the non-Barlow #74 (which is the same knife :D).

F0TgGlE.jpg

They have made the Madison Barlow for Northwoods. This is an odd one, because Northwoods don’t use GEC’s pattern numbers. Some of them are obvious (and often released at the same time as standard GEC runs of the same pattern), but these were made starting back in 2014 (don’t quote me on that ;)) and, at least back then, had no GEC pattern equivalent. I found a 2016 Instagram post from GEC’s account that referred to it as the “44 Pattern Northwoods Madison Barlow,” but GEC has since made the #44, which is a gunstock pattern and obviously isn’t the same as the Madison.

22o9I70.jpg

While I haven’t been able to find any concrete confirmation, I think the #43 Oregon Trapper that GEC first made in 2018 is the same pattern as the Northwoods Madison Barlow. I only have one of each, but they are almost identical in size/shape.

kxC7oY1.jpg
That curved barlow idea is sweet looking! I love the looks of the Madison but thats pretty much unobtainium for me lol. Noting how similar certain patterns are, if you round the pivot end of a 23 a bit,and remove the hump in the middle of the handle, its dang near identical to the 21in frame.
vWTZGIY.jpg

:D

#77 Barlows

ZeHqa51.jpg

#77 Yankee Jack

ua5jySI.jpg

#15 TC Barlow

zz1yTJv.jpg

dxj3aXO.jpg

#14 TC Barlows

LbyXkbb.jpg

5p7QAvQ.jpg

#25 Barlow

Fp6i7o0.jpg

#25 Little Jack

gHGzNZG.jpg

PAChk2V.jpg

F0TgGlE.jpg

22o9I70.jpg

kxC7oY1.jpg
Great posting my friend .

Harry

I'd be ok with that... :D

Q4xJiCI.jpg

Large patterns aren't really my thing, bulky in the pocket etc. But this is an outstanding array, the more so because the Tidioute user is clearly the best one. Not merely because it's been taken into use, but the simplicity and harmony of the knife endow it with a special quality.

Tidioutes are often like this in contrast to their more dressy Northfield cousins ;)

Really looking forward to the 47. One pattern I've been after. Can't wait to see what's next. I'm really partial to canoes.

Back