Lets talk GEC!

2021 is the year of the GEC mini-trapper, I just know it.

I love the mini trapper pattern, but here's why I don't think it will happen. A traditional trapper (of the clip/coping type like the mini trapper) is 4-1/4 long. A typical mini trapper is 3-1/2. And the GEC 48 trappers are 3-7/8, which is right smack dab between the two traditional sizes. Maybe they go a little smaller for a mini, but seems like the 48 frame pretty much covers both.

I love the mini trapper pattern, but here's why I don't think it will happen. A traditional trapper (of the clip/coping type like the mini trapper) is 4-1/4 long. A typical mini trapper is 3-1/2. And the GEC 48 trappers are 3-7/8, which is right smack dab between the two traditional sizes. Maybe they go a little smaller for a mini, but seems like the 48 frame pretty much covers both.

If GEC is cutting parts with wire/water/laser versus stamping them like in the 1950's, they can build whatever they want without incurring horrendous tooling charges for punch dies....... Every new project can start out with a blank sheet of paper rather than relying on a dusty, worn out die set to get the job running..... Cutting machines can run all night, lights out..... Bill and Randy can come in in the morning with stock ready for the days production.......

Wish the would dust off the Northwoods Bear Lake dye sets and make a GEC version.
I’d like to see that too. The Northwoods Bear Lake pattern is the 59 on GEC’s production totals. They could also make a reverse pattern of the 59 and call it the 58.

I’d also like them to make GEC branded knives on the Northwoods 31 pattern. The 31 is the pattern for the Norfolk Whittler.
vxNmGN1.jpg

Last edited:
If GEC is cutting parts with wire/water/laser versus stamping them like in the 1950's, they can build whatever they want without incurring horrendous tooling charges for punch dies....... Every new project can start out with a blank sheet of paper rather than relying on a dusty, worn out die set to get the job running..... Cutting machines can run all night, lights out..... Bill and Randy can come in in the morning with stock ready for the days production.......

I think Bill has already established the he builds whatever the hell he wants. :) It's not about economics, it's about him thinking "been there, done that." I don't claim to know how he thinks, or else I'd explain why we don't have a coffin jack or a sowbelly yet, just throwing my thoughts out there. It will be fun to see what happens!

What type of cutter do they have? Does it have an auto-feed/alignment? Can it handle all types of steel, brass, nickel silver, and slabs? I guess my understanding of the equipment they had, and the capabilities, has been incorrect for some time.

What type of cutter do they have? Does it have an auto-feed/alignment? Can it handle all types of steel, brass, nickel silver, and slabs? I guess my understanding of the equipment they had, and the capabilities, has been incorrect for some time.

I'm not sure what they have beyond punch dies which are dedicated to a specific shape, material and thickness...... Clearances in the die changes based on material, hardness, thickness..... In other words die sets are very specific to what they are punching......

Water jet cuts by using grit in the water..... It is like a pressure washer on steroids...... It can cut metallic or non metallic materials...... The cut path is computer controlled...

Wire cutting is like a cheese slicer with the wire moving and it being electrified..... In other words it cuts material by arcing through it...... The cut path is computer controlled........ Will not cut non conductive materials.......

Laser cutting will cut metals and many non metallics....... The cut path is computer controlled........

There are material suppliers that offer cut services to buyers..... Bill could order 1000 liners from ABC Brass Company and they would be cut, delivered and ready to be assembled into a knife...... Many companies lease machine tools versus buying... The company I retired from had many CNC machine tools on lease..... Bill has many options to optimize his production...... But maybe his desire is to keep it the way it was 50 years ago?

I assume GEC has a desire to not get loaded up with debt and high operating expenses, so they have the freedom to make what they want to make.

I am sure they could get fancy laser machines and stuff like that, but it would detract from the old fashioned nature of the product and most GEC fans would be heartbroken. I like GEC because each knife is made by craftsmen, not machines.

I am hopeful they won’t change anything, except the way they ignore all my brilliant suggestions for new knife patterns and cover materials.

The BRRT was cut with some sort of CNC machine the sausage fork as well if my memory serves me. Possibly the 35 spear blades as well.

They have updated some of their equipment as they can afford it. I think many people vastly over estimate the amount of money GEC has in the bank for such additional expenditures, rentals, outside contracting. If there were an investment that they could make that would pay for itself in the short term - I'm sure they have enough sense to make that decision. But being shutdown earlier in the year and the inability to stay full staffed since would have to put them in a bind. I know that if I were running on credit; I probably would have folded this year. I know they have a waterjet and a cnc unit. But they are manned equipment, not assembly line robotics - thus they can do some jobs more productively than in the past.

I am sure GEC’s accountant told them to reduce the bikini girl yacht party expenditures by at least 25% for fiscal 2021.

Maybe this means we will get a short run of lady legs?
Man I want an ebony French Kate also want another splitback whittler

A proper French Kate should have pink mother of pearl covers!

Also, the boot should be slightly modified to make it a better cap lifter.

French Kate’s for everyone!

They have updated some of their equipment as they can afford it. I think many people vastly over estimate the amount of money GEC has in the bank for such additional expenditures, rentals, outside contracting. If there were an investment that they could make that would pay for itself in the short term - I'm sure they have enough sense to make that decision. But being shutdown earlier in the year and the inability to stay full staffed since would have to put them in a bind. I know that if I were running on credit; I probably would have folded this year. I know they have a waterjet and a cnc unit. But they are manned equipment, not assembly line robotics - thus they can do some jobs more productively than in the past.
I would say it’s a case of if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, no clue what’s going on internally but externally they seem fine. They are selling everything the make and it’s a rare exception to see anything stay on the shelf at the retailers.

Back