Lets talk GEC!

Isn't the TC supposed to be last in the line? Numerous prior to the covid shutdown perhaps. Plus I'm not too sure either Charlie C or Mike L will want to take on this task once again, can you perhaps suggest another qualified representative then?

The 2019 Forum Knife only happened because the 93 pattern was augmented by a significant SFOs and since we hear that GEC are not taking on new SFOs there you have it. Hope that's not too much complaining spoiling things? ;)
I didn't realize you were such an expert on the subject, apologies. I'm sure I'm not the only member tired of the same old complaints over and over again. You hate brass. We get it.

As has already been pointed out the Forum Knife was an 86 not a 93. And there is no reason GEC couldn't do another club knife for us, is there? You don't have to volunteer to do it, and maybe nobody wants to, I don't really care one way or another.

People are constantly all "boo hoo, I can't get GECs like I used to! " and this is a way that every member can get one without the rat race.

I didn't realize you were such an expert on the subject, apologies. I'm sure I'm not the only member tired of the same old complaints over and over again. You hate brass. We get it.

As has already been pointed out the Forum Knife was an 86 not a 93. And there is no reason GEC couldn't do another club knife for us, is there? You don't have to volunteer to do it, and maybe nobody wants to, I don't really care one way or another.

People are constantly all "boo hoo, I can't get GECs like I used to! " and this is a way that every member can get one without the rat race.

I dont think hes claiming to be an expert, just drawing a conclusion based on GEC's new stance on SFOs as of last year. Noone is saying its impossible, just unlikely given the current state of affairs. Probably much more unlikely if the insiders such as Mike/Charlie wouldn't spearhead it for the group. I wouldn't blame them if they didn't want to, its probably a massive headache to undertake even if GEC says yes.

I dream of a partnership with GEC such that we always get a forum knife. I'd even get one if it was a French Kate, LIG Canoe or anything with a comb or fork on it. The whole forum knife thing is pretty special and represents a lot of gratis effort on the part of folks who support the hobby. I regret missing the 2019 forum knife.

you girls/guys have such great ideas for the annual BF knife here, as such I haven't a good idea to offer - but please,
a GEC made knife that's not too small - thank you

Forum Knife from GEC?
How bout a set of Bunkhouse Steak Knives?
Set of four, pick a handle material, and done. :cool::thumbsup:
That's something my whole family and I could get a lot of use out of.

Are there any pictures out there of folks using these steak knives as actual steak knives? The idea of a 1095 GEC edge roughing through a steak and smashing into a porcelain plate gives me shivers.

I'd have to make a set of wooden plates.

Are there any pictures out there of folks using these steak knives as actual steak knives? The idea of a 1095 GEC edge roughing through a steak and smashing into a porcelain plate gives me shivers.

I'd have to make a set of wooden plates.
I don't have the steak knife, however I do have the slicer. (Middle below)
A $35 1095 knife? I use that thing for everything in the kitchen. It is super handy. If the edge rolls over hit it on the ceramic rod and poof razor again.

hEIruOU.jpg

I dont think hes claiming to be an expert, just drawing a conclusion based on GEC's new stance on SFOs as of last year. Noone is saying its impossible, just unlikely given the current state of affairs. Probably much more unlikely if the insiders such as Mike/Charlie wouldn't spearhead it for the group. I wouldn't blame them if they didn't want to, its probably a massive headache to undertake even if GEC says yes.
GEC continues to do SFOs. The evidence is the Barlows last month. Yeah, the forum knife is a lot of work. We hear all about it every single year. If it's too much work, it won't get done, simple as that.

It might be time to rest on our accomplishments and let the tradition die. I, for one, have never been less interested.

We have no idea who might be willing to do what, so there's really no need to come in the thread and act like such a thing is just unthinkable. If the forum knife is a GEC, I'll be in. No other traditional brand holds any interest to me, with the exception of Boker (just a little).

GEC continues to do SFOs. The evidence is the Barlows last month. Yeah, the forum knife is a lot of work. We hear all about it every single year. If it's too much work, it won't get done, simple as that.

It might be time to rest on our accomplishments and let the tradition die. I, for one, have never been less interested.

We have no idea who might be willing to do what, so there's really no need to come in the thread and act like such a thing is just unthinkable. If the forum knife is a GEC, I'll be in. No other traditional brand holds any interest to me, with the exception of Boker (just a little).

Were all just drawing conclusions based on what we have read/heard and this is a forum where people present their thoughts. You almost seem annoyed with these assumptions, and I cant help you with that. There are already plenty of reasons why a GEC forum knife would be unlikely, maybe not completely unthinkable. If you do a little bit of reading back in the threads that last TC run was kind of a last hurrah for Charlie's SFOs, at least for the time being. GEC promptly turned around and started producing that signature SFO style as an in-house offering. I hope I am wrong, and I hope they allow SFOs in the not so distant future.

The person responsible for the forum knife should get paid id think. Either a little something on top or it should be a paid job for bladeforums. Something else is if a person has done a few of them, they might get a system down to limit the headache.

Were all just drawing conclusions based on what we have read/heard and this is a forum where people present their thoughts. You almost seem annoyed with these assumptions, and I cant help you with that. There are already plenty of reasons why a GEC forum knife would be unlikely, maybe not completely unthinkable. If you do a little bit of reading back in the threads that last TC run was kind of a last hurrah for Charlie's SFOs, at least for the time being. GEC promptly turned around and started producing that signature SFO style as an in-house offering. I hope I am wrong, and I hope they allow SFOs in the not so distant future.
I'm all caught up on my reading, thanks. I read this forum and this thread in particular every single day.

And lately it has been littered with newcomers who can't seem to get it thru their heads that this isn't the place to talk about the buying process, and to just generally bitch about how GEC goes about their business. There is an appropriate forum for that and this isn't it. So I guess I am getting a little sick of putting up with that all the time.

Why do you think a forum knife is unlikely from GEC? Who have you talked to?

I mean, we're just talking here right? No harm in a little harmless speculation, right, since this is a forum where people present their thoughts.

Oh, and Modoc ED Modoc ED , if you think a Buck would make a good forum knife, cruise right on over to the Buck forum and start a thread on it, instead of obviously trolling this GEC specific thread.

I'm all caught up on my reading, thanks. I read this forum and this thread in particular every single day.

And lately it has been littered with newcomers who can't seem to get it thru their heads that this isn't the place to talk about the buying process, and to just generally bitch about how GEC goes about their business. There is an appropriate forum for that and this isn't it. So I guess I am getting a little sick of putting up with that all the time.

Why do you think a forum knife is unlikely from GEC? Who have you talked to?

I mean, we're just talking here right? No harm in a little harmless speculation, right, since this is a forum where people present their thoughts.

Oh, and Modoc ED Modoc ED , if you think a Buck would make a good forum knife, cruise right on over to the Buck forum and start a thread on it, instead of obviously trolling this GEC specific thread.

I’ve already presented my thoughts, have a good one!

Back