Lets talk GEC!

GEC/Pandemic story of the day for me!! Today my friend Ron showed up at my seldom-visited door, and masked, presented me with this 2006 knife!! He said it was to repay me for some help I had given him (before 2020!!)!!
When I realized it was from the inaugural GEC year, my heart gave a little leap!!
What a wonderful surprise!!
I tucked a 2007 example I have into the pictures for comparison. The brown knife is now the earliest GEC I have, I think!!
No tube, I will have to research what the handle is called on this (obviously Remington influenced) beauty!!2006 1.jpg 2006 2.jpg 2006 3.jpg 2006 4.jpg 2006 5.jpg

Last edited:
Did you all know that the term "splitspring whittler" first referred to a whittler configuration that had a spring split partway (all one piece), so that the smaller secondaries could each ride on half of the spring at one end??
That is why I tend to prefer the term "wedged spring" whittler for the more modern day whittlers with that wedge between those two separate springs!

I remember reading up on that when I first became interested in Whittlers and completely forgot that. Thank you Charlie.

View attachment 1511621

More good news. Full disclosure, I cannot confirm this 100%, but I have heard from a good source that the 38 will be a split back whittler! I sure hope that turns out to be the case. Heads will now begin to explode. I have never had a true split back two spring whittler, and it would be great fun to try one out. Plus the Grindlings have become true classics of the highest order. This one might as well.
Hang in there EngrSorenson EngrSorenson
You are correct @Nebrasketball , we are on a roll right now. Which do you prefer, your customs or these GEC’s?
I also appreciate Red handled knives such as your's are .
I certainly hope that you are correct about a 38 Split Back Whittler . I really appreciate the design and ability to make a Split Back .

Harry

Did you all know that the term "splitspring whittler" first referred to a whittler configuration that had a spring split partway (all one piece), so that the smaller secondaries could each ride on half of the spring at one end??
That is why I tend to prefer the term "wedged spring" whittler for the more modern day whittlers with that wedge between those two separate springs!
This fruit knife from 1865-1885 has a split spring as you described.
7x6TRy0.jpg

The parallel springs of the pocket carver are spilt by a precisely made bit of metal. It barely pushes the springs apart yet each of these smaller blades still rides on a single spring.

though most of this is correct, this technically isn’t true- the catch bit does separate the blades, but it only acts as a spacer. It’s trimmed to fit around the springs.

Would you mind explaining the difference between parallel and divergent split springs for me? Also why do you prefer one over the other?

divergent springs are works of art and allow the most blade to fit in the blade well by neatly nesting the blades. They are harder to make but in this humble knife knut’s opinion it’s the greatest accomplishment of a traditional slip joint manufacturer.

I do like any Whittler configuration except the three spring variant. It’s like the 1980’s minivan of the bunch- practical but not particularly elegant. The stockyard Whittler is nice enough, but they missed an opportunity to make a nice 2 springer on a handsome frame.

divergent springs are works of art and allow the most blade to fit in the blade well by neatly nesting the blades. They are harder to make but in this humble knife knut’s opinion it’s the greatest accomplishment of a traditional slip joint manufacturer.

I do like any Whittler configuration except the three spring variant. It’s like the 1980’s minivan of the bunch- practical but not particularly elegant. The stockyard Whittler is nice enough, but they missed an opportunity to make a nice 2 springer on a handsome frame.
These will be wedge back. A Grinling with a wharncliff if you will.

GEC/Pandemic story of the day for me!! Today my friend Ron showed up at my seldom-visited door, and masked, presented me with this 2006 knife!! He said it was to repay me for some help I had given him (before 2020!!)!!
When I realized it was from the inaugural GEC year, my heart gave a little leap!!
What a wonderful surprise!!
I tucked a 2007 example I have into the pictures for comparison. The brown knife is now the earliest GEC I have, I think!!
No tube, I will have to research what the handle is called on this (obviously Remington influenced) beauty!!View attachment 1511846 View attachment 1511847 View attachment 1511848 View attachment 1511849 View attachment 1511850
That is so cool, Charlie! Makes for a great addition to your already spectacular collection. Good things happen to good people.

Back