Lets talk GEC!

Do it! There’s no finer look than a polished edge on a GEC. It’s the first thing I do when I get a new one.

Hey Dan, thanks for the encouragement :thumbsup:.

I just finished sharpening both my # 15 and my # 77 .

I am happy with the results and glad I did it :thumbsup:.

A whittler like you may object to the crisp bevel shoulders and request that they be rounded off but I failed whittling school the first day :cool:

Factory edge ( we all know it really )

1BbQGb8.jpg

Sharpened at 18 degrees per side so and can later after some use touch it up on my sharpmaker at 20 degrees for micro bevels as needed.

Kzv29sh.jpg

My 93 Ram and my BF knife both came super sharp from the factory however I think GEC needs to improve their game on the spear blades.

Cheers

Hey Dan, thanks for the encouragement :thumbsup:.

I just finished sharpening both my # 15 and my # 77 .

I am happy with the results and glad I did it :thumbsup:.

A whittler like you may object to the crisp bevel shoulders and request that they be rounded off but I failed whittling school the first day :cool:

Factory edge ( we all know it really )

1BbQGb8.jpg

Sharpened at 18 degrees per side so and can later after some use touch it up on my sharpmaker at 20 degrees for micro bevels as needed.

Kzv29sh.jpg

My 93 Ram and my BF knife both came super sharp from the factory however I think GEC needs to improve their game on the spear blades.

Cheers
You do have a talent for giving an edge a mirror finish. Like your work.:thumbsup:.

38s are gonna be nice. Not for me. But I can't wait to see what the forum members land! Was hoping for some farmer jacks!

I'm with you there :cool: Not only Farmer's Jacks but the 38 frame still has unrealised potential as a Penknife type too. Northwoods did one as Wharncliffe/Pen but the frame gives opportunity for other pairings as a 2 blade single spring knife: Clip/Pen Spear/Pen Drop-Point /Pen or put a small Clip as secondary as on a Norfolk knife or a small Sheepfoot or Coping as secondary, lots of scope :thumbsup:

im one of those crazy guys that thinks a pocket knife is a general use tool that can be used for whittling, so I like what you’ve done there. I have a couple case knives with super thin bevels that I never carry because I cut more stuff with my pocket knife than wood. All my GEC’s kind of look like yours except that sharpening system you use does an amazing job making the edge uniform and crisp. Hand sharpening naturally leaves a very slight radius on the bevel.

Several members reached out to me and attempted to help me find a Glitter Gold TC, for which I'm very grateful. (I seem to be known as a fan of the stuff, just because I continue to lobby for a Glitter Gold PunchNut for the Forum Knife ;))

We all came up empty handed, until @untytled offered me his at a porch-friendly, non-profiteering, break-even price. Thank you so much! Let me know if I can ever return the favor.

This one will stay with me, and it will sport a patina before long. Gotta take lots of pictures while the etch still shows!

8QeMSyd.jpg

Several members reached out to me and attempted to help me find a Glitter Gold TC, for which I'm very grateful. (I seem to be known as a fan of the stuff, just because I continue to lobby for a Glitter Gold PunchNut for the Forum Knife ;))

We all came up empty handed, until @untytled offered me his at a porch-friendly, non-profiteering, break-even price. Thank you so much! Let me know if I can ever return the favor.

This one will stay with me, and it will sport a patina before long. Gotta take lots of pictures while the etch still shows!

8QeMSyd.jpg
That’s awesome! Good on both involved!:thumbsup:

8QeMSyd.jpg

That's fantastic news!!!

8QeMSyd.jpg

Looking good! Glad you were able to get one. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Several members reached out to me
I have a similar story, only I was the one that did the reaching out for my newly acquired 13 (carrying it today). I clearly wanted to buy one and instead of gouging, I also got a “porch-friendly” price. Thanks to Tomsch. Just thought I would jump on the “positivity bandwagon” today, Lord knows we could all use it!:)

I'm with you there :cool: Not only Farmer's Jacks but the 38 frame still has unrealised potential as a Penknife type too. Northwoods did one as Wharncliffe/Pen but the frame gives opportunity for other pairings as a 2 blade single spring knife: Clip/Pen Spear/Pen Drop-Point /Pen or put a small Clip as secondary as on a Norfolk knife or a small Sheepfoot or Coping as secondary, lots of scope :thumbsup:

I’d like to see a pen configuration as well. A nice size clip primary, with a pen or coping secondary riding on a single spring.

8QeMSyd.jpg
#starvetheflippers

:D:D;)

Back