Lets talk GEC!

Same here but somehow I got in there while it was still green, I’ve had the worst luck lately though so I’m going to have to try to score an 85 or two the hard way, which I haven’t been able to do for months, always too late, hopefully they’ll make a lot.

I'm in the same boat with you guys :thumbsup:

Yes, these are split back with a wedge. ;)

Thanks for filling me in! This news makes me even more excited about being lucky enough to get one reserved. Seems like I've been collecting whittlers recently. I picked up a 29 and 62 now I'll be adding the 38. With all these whittlers I really need to stop procrastinating opening that pack of basswood and start whittling!

Just need to make sure I have enough bandaids ready to go......

I think a lot will be searching for the 85 and the 38.
NEgAbx4.jpg

If you have an 85 coming and plan on keeping it as a collectible be aware that the majority of all prior runs had blade rap. A dent or notch on about the middle of the sharpened part of the knife if allowed to close normally. There's a lot of info about it in this forum. Personally I feel like this is a good thing as GEC is packing as much blade as possible, but for those that collect these it can be upsetting when it first arrives and you want to hear that bear trap snap closed and find dents in the blade. Maybe none will have it this time, I hope all have it because that would tell me GEC is continuing on business as usual and stuffing the blade well with as much fat spear as possible :). My user 85's sharpened out the blade rap notch with one simple sharpening. It's amazing to me that they can cut it that close.

I'm of the Bose school of thought that you shouldn't let your knife snap shut to prevent your scales from cracking. :)

36 seconds in.

To add on the lack of the EO notch keeps the lines of this wonderful frame intact. For those who prefer the notch it can be added but it can never be taken away. I'm enjoying a little Dixie stag while I wait for my micarta invoice.;)
8brwII1.jpg
I have to agree about the EO notch. When I first started collecting 85s, all I wanted was the EO! I passed on several non-eo versions (much to my regret). Now, I cherish the non-EOs most of all. I wish they'd do a run of bona-fide Northfields with no EO and a sheild other than the corset! (don't get me wrong, I think the corset sheild is probably one of the finest choices for the 85 frame. But with two large runs featuring that shield, I'd love to see some variety). A federal would look amazing and a bomb might be interesting.

Where the heck is the GEC 38 Whittler thread?!

I have the Bloodwood version on Standby at CK. Here's hoping! I would have tried for one of the jigged bone, but I'm a little ashamed to say that GEC jigging doesn't get me excited very often. I sure do love their smooth bone, Micarta, and wood covers though!

I let my GEC's slam shut with authority, and I thumb flick open my Sebenza's. I'm a pocket knife rebel :D. Oddly enough, I don't push the blades open with my thumb.

I prefer to be a hypocrite and gently close my traditional knives and then aggressively spydieflick my Spydercos... I think I need to go self-reflect, lol.

Last edited:
I didn't get any blade rap on my Forum Knife 2011 the initiator of the 85 pattern, some did, many didn't. The crown lifter is a bit awkward on it ....;) you need to whip it off fast, technique thing:D
No rap on an EZ Open Stag either nor on this 2 blade Jack shown, and they DO look better without the notch in my view.

As for careful closing v slam them I do both..old vintages merit care, Laguioles mostly need to be closed manually unless they have a stop pin but 85s have a kick so it should be ok to let them rip. Just got a new CASE Stockman, after washing it out and oiling it's just great to hear the TALK after the WALK!

JggQoSJ.jpg

Back