Lets talk GEC!

African Rosewood is from the same genus as Bubinga, but are two different African hardwoods.
Respectfully, I'm not sure this is correct. It can certainly get confusing with exotic woods.

The reason I'm interested is that I've used a fair amount of bubinga (definitely genus guibourtia) in my own work, and the color and grain on the knives is pretty different than what I've seen. Of course the knives are small samples--my work has been with stock suitable for furniture and cabinet work.

Here is some info from the Wood Database, which in my experience is a pretty solid source.

Kosso (Pterocarpus erinaceus) This hardwood isn’t commonly seen in North America, but is a Pterocarpus species related to the more commonly seen African Padauk. Appearance-wise, it bears a very close resemblance to the related hardwood Muninga. It’s sometimes referred to as African rosewood, though it’s technically not what would be considered a true rosewood (which, strictly speaking, is comprised only of species in the Dalbergia genus).

Bubinga (Guibourtia demeusei, G. pellegriniana, and G. tessmannii) A much loved hardwood, perhaps among the most popular of African imports alongside species like Zebrawood and African Mahogany. Bubinga is also seen with a wide variety of figured grain patterns, and is sold in a wide variety of forms ranging from guitar backs to giant tabletop slabs.

This is a little knife I handled from a scrap of bubinga left over from a consignment to build a desk. The color is very close to true on my screen, and the dark mineral streak looking stuff is very characteristic. This picture was taken before any finish was applied.

nNTucYN.jpg

The GEC Cripple Creek #14 jigged bone and stag I own have pinned shields. As mentioned by Jiki Jiki , certain shields such as the Cripple Creek can lose their fine detail during the buffing stage.
From the 2018 run? I thought all of CC shields were glued.

You’re right, African hardwoods can be very confusing, and much of the information online lumps them both together. As your source sites, Bubinga is genus guibourtia demeusei, pellegriniana, or tessamannii. But African Rosewood is genus guibourtia coleosperma. African Rosewood is not a true rosewood, as all true rosewoods belong to genus dalbergia. Bubinga and African Rosewood are similar, but definitely different. In general, Bubinga is more highly figured than African Rosewood, but not always.

You’re right, African hardwoods can be very confusing, and much of the information online lumps them both together. As your source sites, Bubinga is genus guibourtia demeusei, pellegriniana, or tessamannii. But African Rosewood is genus guibourtia coleosperma. African Rosewood is not a true rosewood, as all true rosewoods belong to genus dalbergia. Bubinga and African Rosewood are similar, but definitely different. In general, Bubinga is more highly figured than African Rosewood, but not always.
Good stuff. Thanks!

I've actually been curious about what oil GEC uses for their knives? Does anyone know or is it just a generic type of machine oil?

GEC 14 back in 2018. You forgot? Don’t you remember the buffalos falling off?
Right! Forgot!!
Welding the pins discolors the face of the shield, or melts it if made of inferior metal, and buffing them clean is almost impossible without ruining the detail!! Hence, GLUE!!

I'm curious, can someone elaborate on the 'Guardians of the Lamb Foot'?
It's a thread here on the Traditional Subforum, run by Jack Black, dedicated to the Lambsfoot knife... only Real Lambsfoot knives are allowed to be posted.

Not a GEC question, but I’m trying to post some GEC pics! Up until today, I was able to resize pics and directly load them from my photo album on my device. Today, I can only insert a URL from a host ( I use Imgur). Am I missing something or has it been changed to just URLs and Jiki Jiki didn‘t notify me?

Not a GEC question, but I’m trying to post some GEC pics! Up until today, I was able to resize pics and directly load them from my photo album on my device. Today, I can only insert a URL from a host ( I use Imgur). Am I missing something or has it been changed to just URLs and Jiki Jiki didn‘t notify me?
Did you have a paid membership that just expired?

I had the same issue. My pictures from my phone are now too large to post directly. I had to take a screen shot of the picture to reduce the size of the picture and that allowed me to post the photo. Not ideal but works until I figure out a better way.

Back