Lets talk GEC!

i believe gec's doing a run of northwoods hawthorne jacks -- could be wrong, but i think those use the 38 pattern. maybe they're just putting out a gec/tid/nf 38 alongside the northwoods release. seems like that would be efficient from a manufacturing/business standpoint.

Pretty sure the Hawthorne is on the 48

Jamie That's a mythology knife! The Stag of Legend :D

I'm just hoping they change the forthcoming run of the 38s, I don't care for that Toothpick look skimpy Turkish Clip blade they're proposing at all. They could make a truly fantastic Penknife from it, big Clip with a Wharncliffe, Coping or Modified Pen. All steel with Tat-Tails including a full stainless option. Peach Seed light bone, a dark Horsecut, Stag, Osage Orange, Smooth Camel,and Ivory Micarta and Red Cloth Micarta!! Well, got to have some dreams to keep the reality of life at bay...:eek::thumbup:

Thanks, Will

Let's all hope that GEC decides to honor the "Will" of the people...:D

Sorry, guys. Just couldn't resist :p

I don't even mind that cali clip IF the blade on the other end is a stockman style sheepsfoot. Gives a combo of a slicer and a worker and that would be just perfect with me. The toothpick pattern was not a popular release for GEC based on my browsing habits, stock sat on dealers shelves for years!

You're right that they didn't catch on much, but they're awesome knives. I love the Toothpick pattern; Especially GECs rendition. It's not a small knife.
80f0190130f7d5d947d21c6dfed6ed64.jpg

I don't know it's just me, but it seems that appart from the 15s, some 73s and the occassional 38, not much of GEC stuff is carried frequently by the masses here. There seems to be a big noise every time something new is produced, then people carry or take pictures of it for a couple of months and then it's put in the safe with all the previous models. The 61s, 62s, 57s, 56s, 55s and many others, all wonderful patterns that (at least I) hardly ever come across on the forum these day. All the excitement with the 85s and 33s, long gone, it seems. I'm excited about the arrival of the #13s because with some, well, probably a lot of luck, I might get my hands on my first whittler, which we all know will be a splitback and well made. I came a bit late to the game and missed most of the legendary patterns made in the years past, which I of course regret. Much of the current stuff didn't really hit the spot for me. But as we say over here, patience is God's ointment.

I think more people hoard GEC knives instead of using them. The percentage would be pretty slanted towards safe Queens with my guess. Then as time goes on, the knives go up in value and it's hard for someone that wants to use it and missed the initial release to justify purchasing such a knife to use. Imho if the knife is sold after 6 months of release on the black market that knife is most likely switching from one private collection to another with a very small percent chance of it then becoming a user unfortunately. This is just my observation of course.

yeah, i had the rather odd experience of finding a copy of my beloved and carried 47 viper in hemlock jigged bone while perusing that auction site. i had purchased the knife from a forum member (thanks, lakerunner!) for under $100 -- the auction listing was offering it for well over $200. my 47 viper was one of the first traditional slipjoints i ever bought; if it had been over $200 from the start, i'd never have been able to justify the purchase to myself, and i would not have discovered the potential enjoyment of owning and using a well-made traditional slipjoint. i could have started my slipjoint journey elsewhere, but first impressions do matter, in my opinion.

I don't know it's just me, but it seems that appart from the 15s, some 73s and the occassional 38, not much of GEC stuff is carried frequently by the masses here.

In response to your post, I show my GEC users. I think the problem is that most people that can afford GECs have enough of them that they can't all get carried very much. I have some that will never be carried, some that get carried once in a great while on a whim, and then these few that get carried a good bit. But even these don't see a lot of pocket time . . . I just have too many knives and like to switch around.

Stainless elk stag #48. This is my favorite carry when working a job where I eat a lunch. Perfect for apples and sandwiches, etc., and doesn't look "dirty" to those who don't understand patina.
GEC48open_zps0f00d20c.jpg~original

Stainless horsecut stained green tea bone #53. Just a great large stockman, and surprisingly pocket friendly for a knife over 4".
userSScuban_zpsc172ce00.jpg~original

Carbon micarta #48, modified. I reground the long spey into a drop point and the regular clip into a large sheepfoot. This one stays next to my easy chair.
48modpatina_zpsepmbjdll.jpg~original

Carbon burnt arrowhead bone #73 jack. Another that I worked on, turned the spey main into a drop, and the pen into a coping.
73JackModOpen_zps9076e4de.jpg~original

Carbon autumn gold bone #92 jack. I reground the spear main into a clip. This may be my favorite two-blader.
EurekaEDC_zpsd41f8788.jpg~original

Carbon burnt stag #23. I use this one in the garden, lots of cutting power here.
23stagLL_zps3a7a5ecc.jpg~original

Carbon burnt stag #85. Nice stag, just a good medium sized pocket carry.
StagonWood_zps575f5bb1.jpg~original

Alan, I'm trying to get back at you for beating me to the stainless elk #72 for sale. You had me by 4 minutes. :grumpy:

So here! :D

1923e39f-0300-4b9d-b0c3-fe9c2e65aee0_zps749da3ff.jpg~original

Stainless horsecut stained green tea bone #53. Just a great large stockman, and surprisingly pocket friendly for a knife over 4".
userSScuban_zpsc172ce00.jpg~original

Jeff, I've got that same model but I only have this one picture of it. I completely agree with your thoughts. All three blades on mine have wicked good snap, the knife is very solid and tight, and it has an excellent in hand feel. I'm not ready to rotate out my Queen Railsplitter just yet but when I do, my Stained Green Tea #53 Stockman is number one or two on the list to take its place. Really a great knife.

Thanks, Rick, right on all points. I just love the low riding blades . . . and you still have a mark side sheepfoot nick.

Jeff, love seeing all the knives you have moded and carry. The eureka is still my favorite with that clip blade. Great work as always.

Last edited:
Back