Lets talk GEC!

The 62 Maverick is another one that doesn't seem to have much of a following either.
62a6d09a0c810b44c03fff45e98e8639.jpg

Beautiful example you have. I find it a funky setup but I don't have standard tastes when it comes to blade selection. I bought one and it is the only gec knife I ever returned. The clip was weird and small so it was like having 3 secondary blades on one knife. I am also not the biggest fan of pen blades. At the time it was released and still to this day, I applaud gec for their unique offerings. They can't please us all, all the time :)

On the carbon Micarta 48
The patina has a very damascus look, on the main blade.

Yeah, it just turned out that way. Having used it a bunch since the photo was taken, the patina evened out, and it doesn't look like that anymore.

I don't know it's just me, but it seems that appart from the 15s, some 73s and the occassional 38, not much of GEC stuff is carried frequently by the masses here. There seems to be a big noise every time something new is produced, then people carry or take pictures of it for a couple of months and then it's put in the safe with all the previous models. The 61s, 62s, 57s, 56s, 55s and many others, all wonderful patterns that (at least I) hardly ever come across on the forum these day. All the excitement with the 85s and 33s, long gone, it seems. I'm excited about the arrival of the #13s because with some, well, probably a lot of luck, I might get my hands on my first whittler, which we all know will be a splitback and well made. I came a bit late to the game and missed most of the legendary patterns made in the years past, which I of course regret. Much of the current stuff didn't really hit the spot for me. But as we say over here, patience is God's ointment.
Some of us carry them. The 48 jack, 33, 68, and 61/62 are probably my favorite patterns. Then there is the 92 frame....One of the best of all time IMO.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

In response to your post, I show my GEC users. I think the problem is that most people that can afford GECs have enough of them that they can't all get carried very much. I have some that will never be carried, some that get carried once in a great while on a whim, and then these few that get carried a good bit. But even these don't see a lot of pocket time . . . I just have too many knives and like to switch around.

Stainless elk stag #48. This is my favorite carry when working a job where I eat a lunch. Perfect for apples and sandwiches, etc., and doesn't look "dirty" to those who don't understand patina.

Stainless horsecut stained green tea bone #53. Just a great large stockman, and surprisingly pocket friendly for a knife over 4".

Carbon micarta #48, modified. I reground the long spey into a drop point and the regular clip into a large sheepfoot. This one stays next to my easy chair.

Carbon burnt arrowhead bone #73 jack. Another that I worked on, turned the spey main into a drop, and the pen into a coping.
73JackModOpen_zps9076e4de.jpg~original

Carbon autumn gold bone #92 jack. I reground the spear main into a clip. This may be my favorite two-blader.

Carbon burnt stag #23. I use this one in the garden, lots of cutting power here.

Carbon burnt stag #85. Nice stag, just a good medium sized pocket carry.

Jeff, those arw some great knives! You showed me the modified 73 once when I asked for some advise. It inspired me to make a similar mod on my 73 jack last week. I only filed the top of the spey though, to make the tip more pronounced, din't want to mess with the edge to turn it ina propper droppoint, I find the belly great for cutting food. I'll have to take some pics of it. It's not the best or biggest modification, but IMO not bad for a job done by a rookie with a regular nail file. :D

I only have two GECs so far, the first was a gift from Will Power. I count on getting more, but as a university student my funda are limited, also I have somewhat of a harder time getting the good ones as an European. All my knives get carried, at least at first, that's also my intention when I buy them. Thus I try to keep the number down and get knives I know I'll like. I'm aware how the secondary market works and I respect people collecting knives, holding them pristine. It will be a joy looking at them in several decades.
I like GEC especially because of the fit, not just the finish. Although we all agree it helps a lot.

Justin, great to see those, must be a joy using them. :)

Beautiful example you have. I find it a funky setup but I don't have standard tastes when it comes to blade selection. I bought one and it is the only gec knife I ever returned. The clip was weird and small so it was like having 3 secondary blades on one knife. I am also not the biggest fan of pen blades. At the time it was released and still to this day, I applaud gec for their unique offerings. They can't please us all, all the time :)
I couldn't agree more Jeff. It's a nice looking design with a good size (3 3/4" closed) but each blade is of secondary size. I've never carried mine.

I really like the 85 frame. I waited all last year for the '16 Washington Jack and it never came. I say we are way overdue for a WJ!

This is an 85 that certainly gets use. Wish they would do more NS liners though and I think the next run COULD be without the EZ-Open notch for a change :rolleyes: A Teardrop looks better without them I think.:)

IMG_4416.jpg

I just got my first GEC, a 73 in cocobolo. It's a beautiful knife, and even though I did do my research, it's still a bit bigger than I expected. How are you guys liking the 83? Has anyone handled one of those and a case sway back gent?

I too could handle the 85 with the eo notch and a longer coping like the 77 barlow since it won't have the notch.

While we are at it a second the notion of no brass pins!!

I would like a stockman first though. Maybe Mike will come through and get us an sfo of both in all steel with micarta or some random jigged bone. :D

This is an 85 that certainly gets use. Wish they would do more NS liners though and I think the next run COULD be without the EZ-Open notch for a change :rolleyes: A Teardrop looks better without them I think.:)

IMG_4416.jpg

Great knife Will![emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Daniel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my first GEC, a 73 in cocobolo. It's a beautiful knife, and even though I did do my research, it's still a bit bigger than I expected. How are you guys liking the 83? Has anyone handled one of those and a case sway back gent?
The Case Swayback is a perfect size and sweet looking pocket knife. Though they are very close in size the straight back of the GEC 83 wins it over for me as a user.

73, 83 comparison

Did someone say 85s? About time for a run of those I would say. :D
85s.JPG

Nice collection of 85's there, pistonsandgears! :thumbup: I have a Smooth Autumn Gold from the last run, and like it a lot. But - every time I see a posted pic of the Bloodwood, I think it's the best looking of the bunch.

I think the GEC #85 Antique yellow jigged bone with 2 blades is just about perfect. Now if I could only get somebody to sell me one lol. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back