1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. rockgolfer

rockgolfer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Beautiful example you have. I find it a funky setup but I don't have standard tastes when it comes to blade selection. I bought one and it is the only gec knife I ever returned. The clip was weird and small so it was like having 3 secondary blades on one knife. I am also not the biggest fan of pen blades. At the time it was released and still to this day, I applaud gec for their unique offerings. They can't please us all, all the time :)

2. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah, it just turned out that way. Having used it a bunch since the photo was taken, the patina evened out, and it doesn't look like that anymore.

3. JustinR

JustinR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Some of us carry them. The 48 jack, 33, 68, and 61/62 are probably my favorite patterns. Then there is the 92 frame....One of the best of all time IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  4. ISKRA

ISKRA

Sep 19, 2016
    Jeff, those arw some great knives! You showed me the modified 73 once when I asked for some advise. It inspired me to make a similar mod on my 73 jack last week. I only filed the top of the spey though, to make the tip more pronounced, din't want to mess with the edge to turn it ina propper droppoint, I find the belly great for cutting food. I'll have to take some pics of it. It's not the best or biggest modification, but IMO not bad for a job done by a rookie with a regular nail file. :D

I only have two GECs so far, the first was a gift from Will Power. I count on getting more, but as a university student my funda are limited, also I have somewhat of a harder time getting the good ones as an European. All my knives get carried, at least at first, that's also my intention when I buy them. Thus I try to keep the number down and get knives I know I'll like. I'm aware how the secondary market works and I respect people collecting knives, holding them pristine. It will be a joy looking at them in several decades.
    I like GEC especially because of the fit, not just the finish. Although we all agree it helps a lot.

Justin, great to see those, must be a joy using them. :)

5. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I couldn't agree more Jeff. It's a nice looking design with a good size (3 3/4" closed) but each blade is of secondary size. I've never carried mine.

6. AShearer

AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    85's are one of my weaknesses. Please stop[emoji3][emoji3]

7. skivic

skivic Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Red linen micarta 71 in stock at DLT right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. pistonsandgears

pistonsandgears Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Did someone say 85s? About time for a run of those I would say. :D
    [​IMG]

9. TX_planes

TX_planes

Jan 30, 2014
    Yes, please a run of 85's (single blade).

10. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    I really like the 85 frame. I waited all last year for the '16 Washington Jack and it never came. I say we are way overdue for a WJ!

11. Baldy McBalders

Baldy McBalders

Jun 28, 2014
    IMAG0530.jpg
    I could get behind another run of 85s!
    Thanks,
    Brian

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

12. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    This is an 85 that certainly gets use. Wish they would do more NS liners though and I think the next run COULD be without the EZ-Open notch for a change :rolleyes: A Teardrop looks better without them I think.:)

[​IMG]

13. SadSappySucker

SadSappySucker

Jul 20, 2014
    That's a beautiful knife Will, and I fully agree about them looking better without the easy open.

14. rcaf2008

rcaf2008

Sep 28, 2012
    I just got my first GEC, a 73 in cocobolo. It's a beautiful knife, and even though I did do my research, it's still a bit bigger than I expected. How are you guys liking the 83? Has anyone handled one of those and a case sway back gent?

15. texmex03

texmex03

Nov 17, 2014
    I too could handle the 85 with the eo notch and a longer coping like the 77 barlow since it won't have the notch.

While we are at it a second the notion of no brass pins!!

I would like a stockman first though. Maybe Mike will come through and get us an sfo of both in all steel with micarta or some random jigged bone. :D

16. Knife freaky

Knife freaky

Dec 1, 2016
    Great knife Will![emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Daniel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    The Case Swayback is a perfect size and sweet looking pocket knife. Though they are very close in size the straight back of the GEC 83 wins it over for me as a user.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

73, 83 comparison
    [​IMG]

18. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Nice collection of 85's there, pistonsandgears! :thumbup: I have a Smooth Autumn Gold from the last run, and like it a lot. But - every time I see a posted pic of the Bloodwood, I think it's the best looking of the bunch.

19. t.willy

t.willy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2016
    I think the GEC #85 Antique yellow jigged bone with 2 blades is just about perfect. Now if I could only get somebody to sell me one lol. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  20. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    My # 83 ...

[​IMG]

Onearmbladenut likes this.