Lets talk GEC!

I am more curious as to when the new 78s will hit the production queue. That one really catches my eye as an EDC.

,,,Mike in Canada

So the Calf Pen is here...

Untitled by Benjamin Rush, on Flickr

It's a little bigger than I expected, but overall I really like the size of this frame. While I'm a fan of my Big Jack, I think this size suits me better (again, very excited about the Churchill!).

by Benjamin Rush, on Flickr

I'm a fan of the micarta handles, though the unbolstered ends are a new look for me. I'm not 100% sure what I think of it yet. As a user, though, there's not much to scratch up on this guy. The wharncliffe blade is a nice size, a bit stockier (but surprisingly close in length) to the 13. In the hand, the one-arm blade doesn't feel uncomfortable when closed -- I was worried that my pinky might slip over the point and be uncomfortable in use of the wharncliffe, but this isn't the case for me.

The liner lock is a new one for me on a traditional. It disengages easily and makes a nice *clink* when opening the wharncliffe, but it does have a little lock rock and the wharncliffe has a bit of lateral blade play (nothing too serious, just something I haven't had on a GEC).

The one-arm blade has a nice profile and works pretty well for one-handed opening. I don't think I'll use that feature much, and it looks to be screaming for a clip point mod.

Fit and finish is pretty much on par with my other GECs -- the springs are more flush at half-stop than many of my others, but there is a *very* small gap in between the liners and the backspring. Centering is spot on. Pull on the blades is fairly stiff-- about the same as my GEC 74, a little lighter than my Bullnose.

A couple of size comparisons:
Next to my Beer Scout

With my GEC 14

Overall, I'm glad I picked up this unique offering from GEC. I figure I won't be afraid to use it, and it has some new (to me) features that I'll be able to try out. It probably won't kick my other GECs out of my pocket, but I can see it tackling jobs that I don't want to use my "prettier" GECs for. The frame is a great size overall, and I definitely see myself getting more than one Churchill!

Sorry for the long post, just not a lot out there about this one!

Last edited:

It's a little bigger than I expected, but overall I really like the size of this frame. While I'm a fan of my Big Jack, I think this size suits me better (again, very excited about the Churchill!).

I'm a fan of the micarta handles, though the unbolstered ends are a new look for me. I'm not 100% sure what I think of it yet. As a user, though, there's not much to scratch up on this guy. The wharncliffe blade is a nice size, a bit stockier (but surprisingly close in length) to the 13. In the hand, the one-arm blade doesn't feel uncomfortable when closed -- I was worried that my pinky might slip over the point and be uncomfortable in use of the wharncliffe, but this isn't the case for me.

The liner lock is a new one for me on a traditional. It disengages easily and makes a nice *clink* when opening the wharncliffe, but it does have a little lock rock and the wharncliffe has a bit of lateral blade play (nothing too serious, just something I haven't had on a GEC).

The one-arm blade has a nice profile and works pretty well for one-handed opening. I don't think I'll use that feature much, and it looks to be screaming for a clip point mod.

Fit and finish is pretty much on par with my other GECs -- the springs are more flush at half-stop than many of my others, but there is a *very* small gap in between the liners and the backspring. Centering is spot on. Pull on the blades is fairly stiff-- about the same as my GEC 74, a little lighter than my Bullnose.

Next to my Beer Scout

With my GEC 14

Overall, I'm glad I picked up this unique offering from GEC. I figure I won't be afraid to use it, and it has some new (to me) features that I'll be able to try out. It probably won't kick my other GECs out of my pocket, but I can see it tackling jobs that I don't want to use my "prettier" GECs for. The frame is a great size overall, and I definitely see myself getting more than one Churchill!

Thanks for a great set of pics BenjaminRush BenjaminRush

Next to my Beer Scout

With my GEC 14

Yeah great review. Much more detailed than mine but what I had said you included. Good user!

...It also has lock rock, but then again it is not suppose to be like a modern liner lock.

Lock rock is not specific to traditionals or modern knives. It can happen with both. I have 100 year old liner locks with no lock rock.

The difference between modern and traditionals is that the Walker liner lock drops the spring and adds a pin.

Next to my Beer Scout

With my GEC 14

Nice job on the review! :thumbsup:
Thanks

Lock rock is not specific to traditionals or modern knives. It can happen with both. I have 100 year old liner locks with no lock rock.

The difference between modern and traditionals is that the Walker liner lock drops the spring and adds a pin.

Yes I know. I came over from the modern folder realm. As you know, I am sure, there are several variations in the modern folder world. There are a lot of creative modern folders and not all of them have a pin. Grant and Gavin Hawk are just a couple of creative makers that come to mind. One big difference are the tolerances and if there is rock lock on a new knife in the modern world it is a huge no no and goes right back for a replacement. That is a huge safety issue since that is where all the tension is and lock rock is an early sign of lock bar failure and disengagement of the blade. I have a pretty vast collection of moderns from Medford to Ramon Chaves to Olamic to Spyderco and ZT. None of them have rock lock because if they did, they were returned to the dealer or manufacture for replacements. These calfs, I am quite certain, all have this rock lock we are talking about. It is just in the build. I am not sure what you mean about "dropping the spring." The spring bar? Excluding it?
Also this calf has an "L" cut in the top of the lock bar where is engages and locks the tang of the blade. There is no tension on the calf with the liner lock, like a modern has. It is just a different animal. I do not know why I am saying this. You know this. Sorry. Ha ha ha.
Did you pick up the Calf Pen?

Last edited:
By "the Walker liner lock drops the spring", I meant that a traditional liner lock has a spring and a Michael Walker liner lock does not have a spring. Traditional liner locks had a spring like "slipjoints". You are correct that there are a lot of other modern variations. I only compared a traditional liner lock to the original Michael Walker liner lock. I understand what you mean. There are differences between hand crafted and machine made, for example. I just don't want people to think that sloppiness is inherent to traditionals. There are some exceptional examples of hand crafted knives. There are also some changes in manufacturing... machining and automation, etc... that make the manufacturing of some traditional knives more similar or even the same to the manufacturing of modern knives. As one example, Moki makes very traditional knives as well as very modern knives for Spyderco, Lionsteel has recently made traditional knives, and Case has made Bose collaboration knives using WireEDM to cut out the parts.

Last edited:
New production schedule posted:

AUGUST-18-768x994.jpg

SCHEDULE-9-11.jpg

Wow, lots of handle choices for the 78! Wish we knew what the jigged bone color will be for the Northfield.

Looks like I'll need that Maher and Grosh.

I'm excited to see the "spear shield".

Wow, that is intriguing as all get out. I like the idea of pick bone as well. Does anyone know or have a guess if this is going to be a three spring like the 79 or a split back? I was thinking the former until I saw that the secondaries are pen/clip. That seems more like a potential split back setup...

Back