Lets talk GEC!

Need a little more detail, please! which hand? which side of the nail nick etc.

Being left handed (in a right handed world) I have gotten used to opening things backwards and/or upside down :eek:

With the #71 in my left hand (nick facing me), my right hand index finger is on the pile side and my right thumb is covering the nail nick. I then just bend my wrist (similar movement to opening a pull tab can of soda/beer from the 60's).

I'm actually lifting the blade up out of the frame.

Using this type of pinch puts more finger on both sides of the blade and requires less force/strength to open a knife. It also makes it impossible to bend or break a fingernail. :)

I think by “guitar pick pinch” he means rather than pinching with your fingertips you would use the tip of your thumb and the side of the first knuckle on the index finger-if that makes sense.

I think by “guitar pick pinch” he means rather than pinching with your fingertips you would use the tip of your thumb and the side of the first knuckle on the index finger-if that makes sense.

Well Said! That's exactly what I do (usually a little more thumb than just the tip) ;)

:thumbsup::cool:

IMG_4093.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

What is (or is there) an advantage to steel liners and bolsters?

I'm thinking about finally buying a #15 :eek: and it would be used *only* for fruit & veggies.

I would appreciate any help or advice :)

I'm thinking about finally buying a #15 :eek: and it would be used *only* for fruit & veggies.

The biggest advantage of Steel Liners instead of Brass Liners is that Steel Liners will not cause VERDIGRIS and turn Stag or light colored bone a very ugly green . Steel Liners are also a little stronger but I have not found that it mattered that much to me .

Harry

The biggest advantage of Steel Liners instead of Brass Liners is that Steel Liners will not cause VERDIGRIS and turn Stag or light colored bone a very ugly green . Steel Liners are also a little stronger but I have not found that it mattered that much to me .

Harry

Thank You Harry :)

Harry's right, in many cases brass can bring out The Green Giant:eek::eek:

It's softer, it smells foul:( I find all steel construction to be generally tighter and much lower in gaps:thumbsup:. GEC are particularly good at making all steel knives too.

Thanks Will :)

Great! I'll certainly get one :D

I think the biggest advantage of steel for the liner is its strength. If you squeeze an opened knife you may see some flexing on a knife with brass liners.

Brass, also has many good advantages.
First off is friction coefficients, brass on steel will slide with less friction than steel on steel.
Corrosion should also be considered. Although brass can corrode it does not rust. A neglected all steel knife can seize closed. The same knife with brass liners may have a rusty blade but you will have a better chance of getting it opened.
Steel liners can rust in the blade well but don't forget the other side of the liner.

All steel is very traditional and works fine. I don't think the high demand for all steel GEC knives are because the are superior but rather that they are currently trendy. I do have a few all steel model 14 and 15 knives and like them, especially the couple in Ebony.

I understand more weight variation is caused by the different handle material.

And that some people just prefer the looks of all steel.

Back