Lets talk GEC!

Steel is stronger, so you can use less, saving even more weight.

Brass now costs about $1.75 a Lb. Steel costs about $ 0.40 a Lb.
This price differential has probably always been reality in manufacturing knives. I think that the reason that Barlows were popular for so long in the old days is that they were cheap, using liners rivets and bolsters of steel.

1. Steel and brass are both alloys.
2. Brass is an excellent thermal and electrical conductor.
3. Steel structures have more fatigue life and strength.
4. Brass’ ductility is very helpful in making jewelry and decorative products.
5. Brass is hygienic and non-corrosive compared to steel.

The best example of the beauty of the all-steel is that of these twins, the supreme knife!!!

2199yci.jpg

Both metals have their place in the Traditional world, and have had them for a long time.

Brass being softer is easier to stamp or cut out, it can look nice in contrastive way too but as everybody who wades through my posts know, I don't like the stuff too much...:D It has a very pungent odour, is greasy and has the tendency to green foam verdigris.

I greatly prefer all steel construction, carbon or stainless or nickel silver liners. Yes I KNOW they're 'white' brass but they don't green up or smell;)

GEC's all steel back springs are very impressive F&F items, can put certain customs to shame I'd boldly say! Certainly they need a bit of oil attention to stop rust, or worse, rust seizure:eek: but tight and gap free is the order of the day and that's got to be applauded. Here's a GEC Eureka all steel Tidioute, brilliantly finished knife-its safequeen twin in Ivory Bone is the same quality. Can't see the back springs here but they're wonderful to just look at:D

PyzXPYV.jpg

It looks like the "no bail and chain" versions are going to hit first. For which my wallet is thankful, it needed an Whaler break.

Speaking of which, those club knives look pretty amazing!

I am keeping my #15 acquisitions conservative. I am getting one in the antique yellow bone with the bail and chain and one in Ebony without. I also hope to scoop up one of the M&G SFO's since that is going to be a 2-blade version. My timing was poor on the Ancient TCs so I am hoping luck favors the patient and I can find one afterwards for a decent price. I guess that is still 3 with the hope of 4, but I still deem it conservative.... :D

The proposition of a totally unique gec was brought up as a possibility for the next NEXT forum knife I figured it would be fun to dream up your ideal GEC forum knife. It’s probably a bit to early to start a ‘19 forum knife thread:D, and since this is really just more for pipe dreams I figured I ought to leave it here.
Personally my ideal knife would be a 3 1/2” swell end pen knife(possibly on the Northwoods Bear Lake(?) pattern since it’s not a northwoods exclusive) with spear main on the fat end and coping secondary in all steel construction. In a perfect world it would be covered in some stag with a bar shield(I seem to remember that they will still use shields on stag if the SFO asks for it, but I could be wrong.). A runner up would be a deep red bone with a random jig pattern, and smooth white bone coming in at third. I would buy 3!
I hope someone takes charge early next year. It would be amazing to have free range with some of their older patterns and possibly a unique pattern.

The proposition of a totally unique gec was brought up as a possibility for the next NEXT forum knife I figured it would be fun to dream up your ideal GEC forum knife. It’s probably a bit to early to start a ‘19 forum knife thread:D, and since this is really just more for pipe dreams I figured I ought to leave it here.
Personally my ideal knife would be a 3 1/2” swell end pen knife(possibly on the Northwoods Bear Lake(?) pattern since it’s not a northwoods exclusive) with spear main on the fat end and coping secondary in all steel construction. In a perfect world it would be covered in some stag with a bar shield(I seem to remember that they will still use shields on stag if the SFO asks for it, but I could be wrong.). A runner up would be a deep red bone with a random jig pattern, and smooth white bone coming in at third. I would buy 3!
I hope someone takes charge early next year. It would be amazing to have free range with some of their older patterns and possibly a unique pattern.
I like the suggestions so far! One of my most used knives is a Case Tuxedo. I would love to see GECs take on the swell center pen.

The Tux also features a very attractive long pull on the main blade and a tidy nail nick on the secondary. ;)

Isn't that pretty much the #33 Conductor?
Not really. I've not handled a 33 but it seems a lot more robust than the tuxedo.

If you look at pics of both you would see that they look pretty different. The Tux has a spear blade, which the conductor doesn't have, and the pen blade is much slimmer on the Tux.

They are both swell center pen knives, I'll give you that.[/QUOTE]

So it looks like the bail, thus the knife, is actually attached to the chain? I'm not sure I'm crazy about this.
IMG_4179.jpg

So it looks like the bail, thus the knife, is actually attached to the chain? I'm not sure I'm crazy about this.
IMG_4179.jpg
I'll be honest, I'm not even sure I know how that works. Kinda glad I didn't try and reserve any with the bail and chain to be honest.

Those are gonna go fast!

If I didn't land an Antique TC reserve and one of the Clip point 15s, I would be all over these!
I landed both the red and black clip but only ended up with a stby for the ebony and bone spear. I hope now my stby's come through. These are looking pretty good. Love the bone so far.

I'll be honest, I'm not even sure I know how that works. Kinda glad I didn't try and reserve any with the bail and chain to be honest.

Agreed. Not to mention, I don’t know many people who wear clothes that would accommodate the “button attachment thingy”. My understanding is these are supposed to attach similar to the old pocket watches - I don’t think I have ever worn something that would accommodate a pocket watch as an accessory (i.e. the vest of a 3 piece suit). Then again I am in shorts and flip flops most of the time when I’m not at work lol.

Agreed. Not to mention, I don’t know many people who wear clothes that would accommodate the “button attachment thingy”. My understanding is these are supposed to attach similar to the old pocket watches - I don’t think I have ever worn something that would accommodate a pocket watch as an accessory (i.e. the vest of a 3 piece suit). Then again I am in shorts and flip flops most of the time when I’m not at work lol.
I mean yea, I work for the railroad but I'm a jeans and t-shirt kinda guy. You watch though, the bail and chain will be off the hook....No pun intended and we'll be the silly ones who didn't reserve. :(

Back