Lets talk GEC!

I like the beer scout just the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing about it :rolleyes:

VTc58Uu.jpg

The sheepfoot blade suits the overall aesthetic.

Happy for clip points to be made but I would rather they be called something else - whether that is the existing ‘radio jack’ or something new.

Last edited:
I like the beer scout just the way it is.

The sheepfoot blade suits the overall asthetic.

Happy for clip points to be made but I would rather they be called something else - whether that is the existing ‘radio jack’ or something else.

Agreed, I think the beer scout is suited well with the sheepsfoot. I should have said a run of radio Jack's/crown lifters with clip points. I doubt there will be any pattern coming out with a bottle opener anytime soon though.

I wonder if any of the new boys knives have shipped yet.

I hope the GEC crew has a great holiday weekend and gets in lots of rest and relaxation! :thumbsup:

I wonder if any of the new boys knives have shipped yet.

I hope the GEC crew has a great holiday weekend and gets in lots of rest and relaxation! :thumbsup:

I think GEC posted on social media that the antique jigged bone 15’s (no bail/chain) will ship to dealers after the long weekend.

I think GEC posted on social media that the antique jigged bone 15’s (no bail/chain) will ship to dealers after the long weekend.
Nice, thanks!
The 15 as a single blade is generally a little slim for me, but I'm still going to end up with at least a couple with bails and chains.
I was just perusing the 14 thread and laughing at how I was wishing for bails and chains on those 2 years ago.

Nice, thanks!
The 15 as a single blade is generally a little slim for me, but I'm still going to end up with at least a couple with bails and chains.
I was just perusing the 14 thread and laughing at how I was wishing for bails and chains on those 2 years ago.

I want one of these real bad, but I’m holding off because I did get a reservation on an ancient TC. That will have to do as I have more knives than I can use. I’m also really interested in one of the 44’s in brass. We have a lot to look forward too this year.

I'm very excited for the new 44s to come out.
I have a reservation on a Tidioute Gabon Ebony.
I've told myself "No 44s!" but I know when they start rolling out...

The ebony should be very nice!

I've heard some grumbling about "no new patterns" but with both the 43 and 44 new this year, I think that's pretty good. A couple years ago, a common complaint was that GEC had no standard patterns in stock at dealers. Now how well is that concern addressed? Trappers? Yep. Stockman? Yep. Sodbuster? Yep. Moose? Yep. And still we get some short runs and SFOs. ETA: Oh, and the Churchill! Geez, how could I forget the 35?? You can still buy one of these masterpieces!

Thank our lucky stars for Great Eastern Cutlery! :)

Last edited:
A dealer on the auction site has jigged bone #15's available just fyi. ;)

I have just stumbled across GECs lately. Now I want one or 3 and am finding them a little tough to find the one I want. Plus I am having a hard time finding the size of some of these knives. I finally got to handle a couple today at SMKW. The 71 and a 43. There was another but I can’t remember which one. If any one minds how big are the 74 ranch hand and the 15 farm boy. I really liked the thinness of the 43 but I like the blade shape of the 71. So I held off getting either for now. Any help for a new guy to these knives would be appreciated.

I have just stumbled across GECs lately. Now I want one or 3 and am finding them a little tough to find the one I want. Plus I am having a hard time finding the size of some of these knives. I finally got to handle a couple today at SMKW. The 71 and a 43. There was another but I can’t remember which one. If any one minds how big are the 74 ranch hand and the 15 farm boy. I really liked the thinness of the 43 but I like the blade shape of the 71. So I held off getting either for now. Any help for a new guy to these knives would be appreciated.

The 74 Mustang is a drop point like the 71 with handle shaped like the 43. https://bladeforums.com/threads/a-c...ands-all-that-are-a-part-the-74-herd.1462038/

I own and carry several of the 71 and I would recommend it.

Hey Mike! When I was new, I basically spent a bunch of time reading and looking at files on the GEC Homepage/webpage. Some of the links have been a bit wonky lately, but still...I think all the basics are there.

To at least answer one of your Qs, the 15 farm boy is 3.5 inches closed. Welcome to the Porch!

In case this helps, here's a photo of a GEC 15, 74 and 43 so you can get an idea of shape and size comparison. I don't have a 71 but it should be the same closed length as the 74, which is 3-7/8".

Great Eastern Cutlery's website has a drop down under knife releases that lets you search by pattern and will give closed length and other stats on each model, which is also helpful, in my experience.

Welcome!

27502814037_52b0fd6dbe_c.jpg

I’ve been in a similar situation because no local dealers have GECs and so I’ve tried to make this year an exploration year: I buy different GEC patterns new or on the secondary market and then get a feel for them in hand as well as the action. Then I sell them at cost plus shipping and fees to the next guy. So far I’ve managed to break even (I’ve tried about a dozen or so knives and have $6 more than I paid, between losses and gains on particular knives) on what I’ve sold to others.

GECs are so popular you are almost guaranteed to make back what you put in, unless you buy off of the Bay.

Back