Lets talk GEC!

Really excited for my #15s from this run. I'm getting (at least) a clip point red micarta, ebony spear, and Ancient (I believe).

I'll be doing youtube videos on each and comparing them.

Long pulls on the single clip blade #15's in micarta!!! Excited that I landed one in black black linen. Won't be long til these ones are done. Also excited to see the progress on the upcoming TC barlows!
Rt2cZyV.jpg

Aside from Charlies's SFO, the M&G is the knife I've been anticipating the most out of this run of 15s. I plan on getting one in Cocobolo, though the bone looks pretty good too.

2I2Tpst.jpg

phDtnng.jpg

Those look really nice.

Really excited for my #15s from this run. I'm getting (at least) a clip point red micarta, ebony spear, and Ancient (I believe).

I'll be doing youtube videos on each and comparing them.

Those look really nice.
NICE! I just paid for my black linen, waiting for my Ancient email....o_O

Hello,

I've the great pleasure to use, as my everyday knife, a 48 SFO Charlie Campagna .

41714896955_4d9c97d0a6.jpg

I've a technical question about it.
I've bought two of them, one for my collection and one to use it.

My problem is that this knife gives off a very unpleasant smell of something like the WD40 oil. I've tried to clean it with some acetone, vinegar ... no result .
I though it could come from the oxidation of the brass but I also use the two blades 48 on the picture and it doesn't smell like the first one .
If you have an idea :(

Â
The oil that GEC bathes their knives in has been described to me as very similar to wd40 - although it is more viscous than wd40.

I personally really like the smell, and always enjoy opening the tube on a new purchase.

I would also suggest buying nose plugs, or try to catch a cold before visiting GEC if you don't enjoy that smell:)

Hello,

I've the great pleasure to use, as my everyday knife, a 48 SFO Charlie Campagna .

41714896955_4d9c97d0a6.jpg

I've a technical question about it.
I've bought two of them, one for my collection and one to use it.

My problem is that this knife gives off a very unpleasant smell of something like the WD40 oil. I've tried to clean it with some acetone, vinegar ... no result .
I though it could come from the oxidation of the brass but I also use the two blades 48 on the picture and it doesn't smell like the first one .
If you have an idea :(

Â

You could try washing it with warm / hot water and dish soap. It's what I always do with new knives. Afterwards I flush it with hot water and dry it with paper towels and some compressed air at the pivots. Then I let them rest for a while to make sure all water is gone and oil it.

zolthar zolthar has offered good advise. Dawn dishwashing soap and very hot water will remove the oil (along with the smell). I use compressed air to get what moisture is left out of the knife. Harsh chemicals are not necessary to clean a new slipjioint and may do harm.

Alcohol may work, A. I use it to remove oil from bone or stag before I dye it.
Glad you are intending to carry it, A!!
I am still carrying my Paris-patina-ed one!! I improved the edge a bit, and it is a very good knife!!
CC

I am grabbing one of the M&Gs as well, pick bone will be my choice! Sadly, I missed out again on the TC offerings so one of these will have to appease me.

Aside from Charlies's SFO, the M&G is the knife I've been anticipating the most out of this run of 15s. I plan on getting one in Cocobolo, though the bone looks pretty good too.

2I2Tpst.jpg

phDtnng.jpg

Last edited:
Got my #15s in Red Linen Micarta (clip point) and Gabon Ebony (Spear Point) today. Both nice knives, but with some differences. Here's a 1 Minute Overview of the clip point:

I'll post the 1 Minute Overview of the spear point tomorrow, and will do a Knife Talk comparison video on these two and the TC Ancient on Friday when I get mine.

Anyone else who got their clip points, did yours have incredible action like mine?

(I did end up finding a small Gap at the butt of the handle between the spring and liner, but that's small potatoes)

All the 15's have great action this run, so that means the bail and chain versions will also be the same high quality build since they must already be built. The pictures appear to show an extra set of liner holes for the bail.

They have the recipe right on this batch.

Seems like the 46's need a chain as much as a boys 15!

And why do you want to get rid of the smell?! Its old tobacco, hound dog, whiskey and machine oil.

Anyone else who got their clip points, did yours have incredible action like mine?
Yep. Action is fantastic on my red micarta and haven't tried flushing it yet. Fit and finish is perfect as far as I can tell, aside from a small scratch on the blade. Dead flush open and closed. I'm amazed at the value on these. My black micarta and ancient are in the mail. High hopes for tomorrow.

The only thing that would improve my new 15 in red linen would be the addition of a second blade or cap lifter. :)

Otherwise, pretty much perfect.

ETA: I've been sniffin' my GECs but haven't really noticed any kind of smell. Maybe I'm hard of smelling?

Sad to see, but some flipper already has an Ancient Barlow on the bay for $400 buy it now.
And another listed with 18 bids on it!!
Seems there are always a few immediately in the aftermarket.
I had a miserable old Aunt who's one spark of wisdom that I recall was, "don't whine and cry if you miss the bus! Another one will come along soon enough!!"

And another listed with 18 bids on it!!
Seems there are always a few immediately in the aftermarket.
I had a miserable old Aunt who's one spark of wisdom that I recall was, "don't whine and cry if you miss the bus! Another one will come along soon enough!!"

Kind of the outlook I have adopted, Charlie. It is too easy to get bent out of shape when missing out on a high demand release. I remind myself that there will always be good knives to be had, you win some and you lose some.

Congratulations though, on yet another highly successful TC release, you have a lot to be proud of.

Back