Let's talk Northwoods

Good surprises in the mailbox are always welcome. USPS expected it to be here Tuesday, showed up today. Nice contrast on the FMW burlap, happy with my first Northwoods.

Mxl7Qlh.jpg

bQMAFtl.jpg

WjUvg01.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty significant! I wonder how that escaped notice.

I think it would have been noticed if the blade was off center when closed but on the northwoods the saber grind rides the liners and forces the blades to center even if they are bent slightly. It would probably only be noticed if it got in the way of the blade closing which it only slightly did which caused me to look at it. Had it been a millimeter straighter at the tip I wouldn’t have noticed it myself.

Had to straighten the blade on mine. It was getting jammed up a little while closing and I looked and the blade was crooked. Bent it a little and now it closes perfectly. Not sure you can see it in the pics
View attachment 1267624 View attachment 1267625
I was going to post about the same thing, but I wasnt sure if my mind was playing tricks on me.
How did you go about straightening it? If you dont mind my asking. Is there a novice level fix?

Last edited:
I was going to post about the same thing, but I wasnt sure if my mind was playing tricks on me.
How did you go about straightening it? If you dont mind my asking. Is there a novice level fix?
I put a small c-clamp on either side of the bolster to keep it from loosening with the connected part of the clamp on the spring side so the blade can still close. I then put the blade in a vise up to where the blade grind and the tang meet so the tang is still visible, and then bend it whichever way is needed. I usually wrap the blade in some tape to protect it from the vise teeth. I’ll the close the blade to see if it is centered and working properly or if I have to go further or go the other way. If it’s good the I take off the clamp to make sure it didn’t loosen. If it did then it needs to be tapped back tight this sometimes puts the blade slightly off center again so the process is repeated if necessary. If it didn’t loosen then it’s done the bolsters are usually un-marred. If it loosened and needed tightened then the bolsters need to be sanded and polished. There’s a thread about it with another method that others use as well and more detail and pics of the one described above. I think if you’ve ever taken the wobble out of a blade the this would be easy enough for someone.

I put a small c-clamp on either side of the bolster to keep it from loosening with the connected part of the clamp on the spring side so the blade can still close. I then put the blade in a vise up to where the blade grind and the tang meet so the tang is still visible, and then bend it whichever way is needed. I usually wrap the blade in some tape to protect it from the vise teeth. I’ll the close the blade to see if it is centered and working properly or if I have to go further or go the other way. If it’s good the I take off the clamp to make sure it didn’t loosen. If it did then it needs to be tapped back tight this sometimes puts the blade slightly off center again so the process is repeated if necessary. If it didn’t loosen then it’s done the bolsters are usually un-marred. If it loosened and needed tightened then the bolsters need to be sanded and polished. There’s a thread about it with another method that others use as well and more detail and pics of the one described above. I think if you’ve ever taken the wobble out of a blade the this would be easy enough for someone.
Thank you very much for the detailed post! When it comes to the bending, is it a minimal even pressure or should lightly tap it? Thanks again for the response

Thank you very much for the detailed post! When it comes to the bending, is it a minimal even pressure or should lightly tap it? Thanks again for the response
I don’t tap it at all, I hold the handle as if I’m tightening a bolt and want it as tight as I can get it without stripping it. If it’s like a clock I don’t think I ever bend it further than 1 o’clock and probably check it after 3 minutes of bend something like that. Also think of it like shooting a gun squeeze don’t pull or yank it, no need to be aggressive, that’s what will break it.

Love the pictures of the newly released NW, and congrats to the lucky ones to endure the madness! I just received my saw cut Heritage and already know it’s a keeper. I just noticed that the grove lines on the covers goes down from left to right, is this a first for a GEC sawcut? More knowledgeable members might shed some light. Cheers!

Not my first knife purchase of the year but it is the first new knife to arrive. I couldn't be more pleased with my first Northwoods. Beautifully made - the sawcut bone is nice and rich, the all steel construction is especially a treat, and the unique spear is going to make for a terrific tool.

DfLOhjm.jpg

Back