Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

I just got some diamond rods for the Sharpmaker. Just so I don't way over or under do something, how many stokes are we talking to re-profile to 15 each side the Mikes Roundhead Barlow? I know there isn't an exact science but just curious if its a 5 minute affair or hour long.

How long would it take to re-profile a GEC 1095 on diamond, typically?

Thanks

I just got some diamond rods for the Sharpmaker. Just so I don't way over or under do something, how many stokes are we talking to re-profile to 15 each side the Mikes Roundhead Barlow? I know there isn't an exact science but just curious if its a 5 minute affair or hour long.

Thanks
I normally don't use my sharpmaker for re-profiling since I use my edge pro instead. But I imagine the concept would be the same . Take your time using very light pressure and smooth even strokes . Once you feel a burr go to the next side . I wouldnt think it would take that long with a diamond rod .

Wow, looks like all sold out except for the abalone.

Cornballs... I was about to grab another CF. Oh well! I'm hoping for another run. I'd say these were quite the success.

Wow, looks like all sold out except for the abalone.

Cornballs... I was about to grab another CF. Oh well! I'm hoping for another run. I'd say these were quite the success.
I just ordered a Stag this morning to go with my CF and Just checked after reading your post and there still showing in stock with the stag and abalone .
On a side note props to Mike and CK for there fast shipping "again"
I ordered first thing this morning and within a hour received tracking info :thumbsup:

A few points worth mentioning;

1. GEC's in my experience are ground thinner than the Lion Steel, say approx. .015" vs. .025" behind the edge. This means there is much more steel to be removed. Perhaps twice as much??
2. M390 is going to sharpen much slower than 1095 even using diamonds due to both its hardness and wear resistance. Perhaps 2 to 3 times as much effort??
3. Spyderco Diamond rods are not that coarse (400 mesh I believe) nor do they have much surface area. As such, this will take some work to reset the edge to 30 degrees inclusive.

While I have never back beveled a knife to 30 degrees on only a Sharpmaker, I have used the diamond rods enough to know how they cut. I have also reprofiled enough GEC's to that target or even more acute, to have an idea of the effort involved. I would say it is very probable you will spend at least an hour taking a stock GEC to a 30 degree edge, especially the tip on a spearpoint and many times that to achieve the same results on the Lion Steel. While this represents only an opinion on my part, I would expect considerable patience to get it done.

Thanks
I'm thinking this will not be the last post to come up about sharpening M390.
If you are used to 1095 and the traditional stainless steels aka 440A, 420HC, you're going to find re-profiling M390 on a sharpmaker very slow. Especially if you're waning to go all the way to 15 per side.

I took mine to 18 per side on a KME guided diamond system, On the santos I started with a 320 diamond stone, then a 600 diamond and went to 1500 diamond on the CF. Depending on how many breaks you take, 1 1/2 to 2 hours per blade.

If I had a sharpmaker I would shim it up and sharpen to 20 per side. Then little by little over time you could re profile to 15 per side.

Profiling can be slow but it's not any harder sharpening M390 with diamonds than it is to sharpen 1095 with an oil stone.
I built a 3 x 12 strop to keep the edge up before it gets to dull. That way I rarely have to touch up M390 with the diamond stone.

hmm makes me wonder if a wider diamond bench stone is the answer. I feel like I get better result holding a spyderco rod in hand then the typical setup....maybe because I am matching the factory angle vs the preset ones. I also have a harbor freight belt sander I picked up and never opened but would need considerable practice on something cheap before I attempt that.

Coworker got an wicked edge or something similar and likes it but mentioned smaller blades being harder to do so wasn't sure if that was the answer.

I reprofiled mine to 30-degrees on a Sharpmaker with the flats of the diamond rods. I marked both sides of the edge with a black Sharpie, and alternated strokes on each side in sets of three. The whole job job took me about 20 minutes, until the black marker was completely removed from bot sides of the edge. Then I added a quick 40-degree microbevel, which took only a few seconds.

I reprofiled mine to 30-degrees on a Sharpmaker with the flats of the diamond rods. I marked both sides of the edge with a black Sharpie, and alternated strokes on each side in sets of three. The whole job job took me about 20 minutes, until the black marker was completely removed from bot sides of the edge. Then I added a quick 40-degree microbevel, which took only a few seconds.
So you just kept sharpening at the 30 until it finally removed the sharpie from the apex? Then microbevel?

I haven't done this yet on the Lionsteel, but m390 isn't too bad for me on a Wicked Edge. I've done other knives with more material removal and it on average would take me half an hour. I don't expect this to be much different.

If anyone is having real difficulties with this steel, I'll happily reprofile your blade for you at no charge. I usually do GECs at 16 degrees per side, but this is a bit broader so I may be able to go down to 15. I'll find out tonight.

As I sit here watching tv,guys please tell me I'm not the only one fondling the beautiful smooth carbon fiber on my new Barlow from Mike at CK
Yes your not alone although peridocaly I'll slide it back in its leather sheath then smell and feel the European leather briefly :D before I slide the carbon fiber beauty back into my loving hands.

Back