LionSteel Shuffler

I don't think your luck is the issue. I think you are looking WAY too hard for problems. Nearly every one I have handled has a little daylight between liner/spring if looking from the well; I even specifically mentioned this in my first video. As to needing a perfect edge or perfectly flush springs in all three positions - you may need to go custom for that. Knives made in volume in factories of men are never going to be perfect; only those that have seen enough crap to realize a well assembled knife see perfection in those that are 95%. Somewhat like a sliding scale....

Thank you for your response. I had a feeling that I was overanalyzing everything and that these "issues" do not represent any major problems. I apologise if it seemed that I was overly pedantic. I have to say, I am very happy with how well this knife slices through apples, it always puts smile on my face every time I do so!

Also, I placed an ebony sheepsfoot on notification; I'm really looking forwards to it!

Last edited:
Since no one else chimed in; with horn I'm guessing nothing is killed for it. Some animals(maybe all, No expert) drop their antlers/horns every now and then so yeah.
thanks for comment. only antlers are shed i believe, horn has to be cut from the (live or dead) animal. I'm hoping it's primarily a meat harvest, still researching.

Could this be any more Blonde or any more beautiful??? The other side is a perfect match. Also, nicely thin behind the edge. I get .016 on both of mine. Vast improvement, imo. Hopefully the R3 Roundhead will be thinned down as well.
Can't wait for my favorite blade shape on the Dom.:thumbsup:
wL9hj9S.jpg
that is gorgeous! im going with the Ram's horn on the Dom, hoping it's a pretty as yours.

Here's my new Shuffer in stag, and recent RH 2nd gen in Bocote. Really happy with these great knives. the clip point is styling on the otherwise straight profile of knife, a surprisingly welcome change, though i like the spearpoint just as much. Now, for the sheeps foot addition to the family, common Dom!

ShufflerStag_sm.jpg RoundheadBocote.JPG

Got my Shuffler on Tuesday, and I've carried it since... I love single blade clip points, so this guy is right up my alley. Even beyond that, I'm loving it. My first run Roundhead was thick behind the edge for my taste, but this one is juuuuust right. The thickness behind the edge was .014 at the belly, .016 right behind the tip and .015 down by the choil. Very impressive. I was pleasantly surprised by the sharpness out of the box, and a few minutes on the strop brought it up to wicked sharp. Really nice snap, and very fluid opening and closing. Nicely matched bocote... zero complaints! Thanks Mike!

20180220_204302-403x795.jpg

I've carried my Shuffler this past week since receiving it. As might have been guessed from my first look review, I wasn't as blown away as I expected to be from the reviews of the Shuffler and Roundhead I saw here. It had a gritty action, smooth covers, and an aesthetic machining defect. However, I put mineral oil (which I now fully believe is a magical substance that brings knives to their peak walk and talk) in the joint a couple times and now it is much smoother. I still think it could benefit from flushing, but I just haven't done it yet. I would strongly urge LionSTEEL not to use whatever sparkly copperish lubricant it used on this run on any other runs. I do think it's probably on the low end of a 5 pull, compared to a SAK, than above but it's smooth and has better snap now. The machining defect has mellowed somewhat, or maybe I just don't notice it as much. I appreciate the thin edge, great steel, and useful blade shape. Finally the smooth carbon fiber covers haven't bothered me in use, but I haven't used it when very wet yet. I still think I'd like to sand it down a bit, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on what sandpaper grits to use and such.

Overall, I'm really liking it and glad to have one. I'll probably get a Roundhead 3 and Dom.

Two fantastic blades!! Light, sharp, good W&T, well put together. Good job Mike and Lion Steel, thanks!!!
Like others I am wondering, what is the glossy surface on the White CF? Plan on carrying the micarta so I smoothed it's covers with 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper followed by a coat of bee's wax. Turned out well and it's been in my pocket since.

m0hHv7N.jpg

This was the reference for the white carbon fiber, and I know it was just a reference, but I think I'd like this finish much better than the glossy finish it came with. I have been looking up info on finishing carbon fiber and it looks like I could start with around 150 grit Sandpaper and work up to 400 or 600 to get about that finish. Any recommendations outside of that?

ZlCts4g.jpg

This was the reference for the white carbon fiber, and I know it was just a reference, but I think I'd like this finish much better than the glossy finish it came with. I have been looking up info on finishing carbon fiber and it looks like I could start with around 150 grit Sandpaper and work up to 400 or 600 to get about that finish. Any recommendations outside of that?

ZlCts4g.jpg
Let us know how that worked out. I am not a fan of the white CF either and contemplating to put my shuffler up for sale or mofifying it. But that’s risky as it will then be mine forever and I mostlikely botch the mod.

Let us know how that worked out. I am not a fan of the white CF either and contemplating to put my shuffler up for sale or mofifying it. But that’s risky as it will then be mine forever and I mostlikely botch the mod.

I've used mine some, not that I couldn't sell it, but it's a keeper at this point. I figure I probably won't mess the scales up that bad and if I do I'm sure there's somebody who can make them.

Take the slabs off and look at the back....

The one I received yesterday was really bad, although I think it was just because of some kind of factory defect. I only opened and closed it about a dozen times before it felt like two pieces sandpaper rubbing together, and metal shavings started falling out. I just put it back in the box, filed a return request, and shipped it back to CollectorKnives this morning. I put in another order for one of the white carbon fiber ones last night, so I'm crossing my fingers that I have better luck with that one.

The knife came back today and is perfectly fine. I think you will just need to get accustomed to a slipjoint breaking in when new. I can see where maybe a tiny burr on the corner of tang may have been wearing off but experienced no significant tension right out of the box and a drop of oil made it purr like a kitten.

Both of my Shufflers benefited greatly from a good flush. I'm sure the lubricant they use is a great lubricant, but it just slows it down too much for me. Once cleaned out, it seems like the Shuffler may have even better snap than the previous versions. By a smidge..
u15tjLw.jpg

Ramrodmb Ramrodmb -Mark, those make nice additions to your growing horn collection!!! It's really cool that you have both a light and a dark horn Shuffler. :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
The knife came back today and is perfectly fine. I think you will just need to get accustomed to a slipjoint breaking in when new. I can see where maybe a tiny burr on the corner of tang may have been wearing off but experienced no significant tension right out of the box and a drop of oil made it purr like a kitten.
My apologies then. I'm very new to slipjoints. The action on the Roundheads I have just seemed so much smoother to me, which is why I felt there must have been something defective with this one. I'll take this as a learning experience to be more patient with a new slipjoint knife. What's a good oil to use to help with the break in process?

While I do like my Shuffler, it could stand to be ground a little thinner, mine measured about. .021” and near the tip is .024” behind the edge. Compared to some of the GEC blades these are thicker. I heard that the first run was thick and the later ones are thinner, not easy to get thinner so this just might be a compromise as it will cut and take more abuse but a small slip joint wouldn’t normally be put to real hard tasks.
G2

edited to add a photo, should always add a photo ;)
working on a sheath for my Shuffler...

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Last edited:
My apologies then. I'm very new to slipjoints. The action on the Roundheads I have just seemed so much smoother to me, which is why I felt there must have been something defective with this one. I'll take this as a learning experience to be more patient with a new slipjoint knife. What's a good oil to use to help with the break in process?

I bought the yellow bottle of lighter fluid by the checkout at walmart; emptied it and let it dry; then filled it with Slick50 about 15 years ago. Use it daily and still haven't refilled it. The lid makes a great applicator and the oil is good for lubricating and cleaning. For a little more, the Seal1 liquid I have been using lately to treat carbon blades when they come in the shop - has had great reports for this function as well. It is a CLP, so it might be a better general use product.

Back