Lum Tanto

Hey "Makariotes" being you like the C-46 Lum Tanto Folder so much I think you owe it to yourself to check out one of the Sprint version of the fixed blade LUM TANTO. The very first run was done in AUS-8 which I wasn't terribly crazy about in that blade steel for plain edges ( although I do like it in Spyderedge). But the Sprint version has VG-10 which I've always found to be a very dependable hard use steel.

The handle on the fixed blade LUM is just awesome and most of them come with a gorgeous sheath as well. You might just want to test drive one of those while you're at it. ;)

You are right JD, I should get one of those too; I saw them when they came out but was totally broke, I will keep an eye out for one, at this point I have to have one just to pair it with the C46; I cannot imagine the awesome designs Bob Lum would be putting out right now if he was still here; he will be and is missed, what a great designer he was! I'm probably just a voice crying in the wilderness, but I really think Spyderco should bring this tanto folder back with a compression lock, I bet it would fly off the shelves.

You are right JD, I should get one of those too; I saw them when they came out but was totally broke, I will keep an eye out for one, at this point I have to have one just to pair it with the C46; I cannot imagine the awesome designs Bob Lum would be putting out right now if he was still here; he will be and is missed, what a great designer he was! I'm probably just a voice crying in the wilderness, but I really think Spyderco should bring this tanto folder back with a compression lock, I bet it would fly off the shelves.

What I especially liked about Lum's Tanto designs was the fact that they were very functional>> whereas many of the other tantos I've had over the years I didn't really find all that functional. Lum's more streamlined tanto design was truly unique among tanto designs and like I said I actually consider my "user" C-46 Lum Tanto a good part of my EDC/User rotation.

He truly had beauty and function put together where anyone could much appreciate it. Yeah I was really sorry that he passed away so early.

Amen to that JD; you can see his art even with other models he made, like the Benchmade Onslaught and mini Onslaught; the big one is a real slicing monster, just beautiful, and it also has a hole in the handle a la Spyderco. Now I need a Chinese Folder and I'll be happy though not totally satisfied. Thanks for your comments.

I love the shape of the onslaught blade as well, had one for a while the major thing I didn't like about it was the pocket clip.

Amen to that JD; you can see his art even with other models he made, like the Benchmade Onslaught and mini Onslaught; the big one is a real slicing monster, just beautiful, and it also has a hole in the handle a la Spyderco. Now I need a Chinese Folder and I'll be happy though not totally satisfied. Thanks for your comments.

You forgot to mention Benchmade 760 LFTi

You're right!! I've been looking for one of those too! Man that is an awesome blade, and yours looks brand new, wow. I love big blades.

It would look good in the midst of these:
f0f94702cbb366b03dd870425bf8dada.jpg

You're right!! I've been looking for one of those too! Man that is an awesome blade, and yours looks brand new, wow. I love big blades.

I'm the other way around, looking for the Spyderco Lum Tanto folder!

Ya the 760 is a beast with M4 steel
Btw, it is far from new I carry it a lot and there are some fine scratches on the blade that's why no close up shots

It would look good in the midst of these:
f0f94702cbb366b03dd870425bf8dada.jpg
Congratulations, that's a Beautiful trio of Lum's you have there. Lums blades just have an awesome flow to them if that makes sense. I myself have lusted for one of Spyderco's first run fixed bladed tanto's that he designed.

Bob Lum was quickly becoming a major, well known knife designer and was becoming a knife-lover's household name like Bob Loveless or Bill Moran or anyone like them. Again his designs were not only beautiful they are very functional as well. Yeah I would love one of those BENCHMADE model 760 units. I also really liked the DejaVoo that BM did as well and I can only imagine how many more designs he would have done with Spyderco because it seemed like he had a great business relationship with the Great Spyder Factory.

His Spyderco Sprint VG-10 version of his fixed blade model is very high on my "gotta-have" list of great blades that I constantly update and maintain. I always loved the original Spyderco fixed blade model but I didn't think AUS-8 blade steel offered me what I would have wanted from a fixed blade utility knife. Even though I do like AUS-8 on Spyderedged blades. But the VG-10 fixed blades I have perform great and it's evident with Spyderco using it in most of their Japan made models since early in the year 2000.

Bob Lum's Spyderco folders and fixed blades will be around for many years to come I'm fully confident of it.

I agree with everything you said JD, that fixed tanto is also in my got to get list, as well as the Benchmades. Amazing functional and beautiful designs.

Congratulations, that's a Beautiful trio of Lum's you have there. Lums blades just have an awesome flow to them if that makes sense. I myself have lusted for one of Spyderco's first run fixed bladed tanto's that he designed.

Thank you! Yeah I am in the same boat.

Hello everyone, FNG here with a question? I used to pop in here years ago. Unfortunately, I am going to be selling off alot of the rarer Spyderco knives and was wondering if this is the place after I pay for the upgraded membership? Thanks for any and all help!

Welcome back! The right place to sell your knives is the "knife exchange"; click on "forum" and scroll down to about the middle of the page, then "for sale by individuals", once you're there you'll see the choice "for sale: production folders" or if you have fixed blades then choose "fixed blades"; I hope that helps.

The lum tanto is my absolute favorite knife. If I could only have have one knife, it'd be one of these.

fd2d183b7bdd63041b81e1963814da84.jpg

The lum tanto is my absolute favorite knife. If I could only have have one knife, it'd be one of these.

fd2d183b7bdd63041b81e1963814da84.jpg

Wow, I don't know who owns all of those, but what a lucky guy! If I had them all I'd be totally satisfied. That's like having a 1992 Mercedes Benz 500E in 5 different colors.:p

Wow, I don't know who owns all of those, but what a lucky guy! If I had them all I'd be totally satisfied. That's like having a 1992 Mercedes Benz 500E in 5 different colors.:p
They're all mine. Thanks for the kind words =)

Beautiful knives!
They look just as good closed, but don't see as many photos that way...

I'd like to have a Sprint one day

Back