Mod'ing The CS Trail Hawk

Show me the blued version!!!! :cool:

First off, the photos of the parked Trail Hawks do not correctly depict the true color of the heads, which are very dark in the pictures, but a much lighter gray color in reality. The heads look much better than represented in the pictures...IMHO. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Next, I am sorry to report that I am disappointed in the express blued version...but Billy will get that hawk...Billy don't come here, and Billy don't know spit from shinola about hawks ;) . IMHO, the finish on the express blued version is "blotchy" and not a uniform finish like the parked hawks. Mind you, this is merely my subjective assessment of the appearance of the blued vs. parked finishes. Your mileage may vary. In addition, this is by no means a criticism of the work GS has done which -- as evidenced by the parked heads -- is simply superb.

Q's .02 fellas

Oh yeah...and one other thing...I was originally gonna name these units ThawQs...however...after what GunSnob has done I can no longer take ownership of this work. Therefore, I'm gonna name them the after the man who made them what they are and one of the greatest parked battle implements the world has seen.

Fear the GSM1 Thawk :eek:

Offered my Thawk Battle Systems LLP "Parked Polished 'n Ready To Pound" :cool:

Meanwhile, 'ol Q'll be sandin' handles for the next couple of weeks fellas. :yawn:

First off, the photos of the parked Trail Hawks do not correctly depict the true color of the heads, which are very dark in the pictures, but a much lighter gray color in reality. The heads look much better than represented in the pictures...IMHO. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Next, I am sorry to report that I am disappointed in the express blued version...but Billy will get that hawk...Billy don't come here, and Billy don't know spit from shinola about hawks ;) . IMHO, the finish on the express blued version is "blotchy" and not a uniform finish like the parked hawks. Mind you, this is merely my subjective assessment of the appearance of the blued vs. parked finishes. Your mileage may vary. In addition, this is by no means a criticism of the work GS has done which -- as evidenced by the parked heads -- is simply superb.

Q's .02 fellas

Hmm, I wonder what the deal is with the bluing then. I've seen a blued Norse hawk that looked pretty good IMO.

Hmm, I wonder what the deal is with the bluing then. I've seen a blued Norse hawk that looked pretty good IMO.

Perhaps it is simply my subjective opinion which is perhaps based soley upon how freakin' awesome the parked hawks look. :confused:

can you soak the paracord after you put it on or do you have to do it well your wrapping or do you have to do it at all and one more question how to you keep the first part of the paracord from backing off is there a special knot or something?:confused:

Q
Could what your seeing in the blued head be the differences in the texture of the casting? I thought the head seemed much rougher, less uniformed in texture, when furnished but the color was even.

Also the photos were taken right after they were oiled. Some thing it wouldn't hurt to do after they were wrapped in the paper in the package.

can you soak the paracord after you put it on or do you have to do it well your wrapping or do you have to do it at all and one more question how to you keep the first part of the paracord from backing off is there a special knot or something?:confused:

The 550 cord is soaked before doing the wrap. Wrap the wet cord as tight as possible. It will shrink as it dries making the wrap even tighter. Below are the instructions I used for the 500 wrap. Note that these instructions are for a knife handle wrap but the technique works fine on a Trail Hawk. In addition, note that the wrap adds considerable thickness to the haft. If you have smaller hands, you may want to start the wrap higher to allow a low grip on an unwrapped portion of the haft, much like GunSnob wrapped his GSM1. ;)

http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips___Tricks/PARA-CORD_KNIFE_HANDLE/body_para-cord_knife_handle.html

Q...Could what your seeing in the blued head be the differences in the texture of the casting? I thought the head seemed much rougher, less uniformed in texture, when furnished but the color was even...

I dunno...I'll take a look see tomorrow.

QAlso the photos were taken right after they were oiled. Some thing it wouldn't hurt to do after they were wrapped in the paper in the package.

Don't understand. Are you telling me to oil the heads GS? If yes, what oil? Rem Oil?

Cut her off, and sanded her down. I love the thing ALOT more now.:D
p8300391jm1.jpg

Q
Yes a Little oil will be good. The raping paper will wick some of it out.

Rem oil or any lube/protector is fine.

Listen up fellas. Snobie has finished the parking my heads, and he also made a few "adjustments."

T A K E A F R E A K I N ' L O O K A T T H I S!!!

Holy freakin' sweet mother of pearl! Those look amazing! I, too, would be concerned about marring those sweet mirror finishes, but what the hey...might as well use 'em for what they were intended.:cool:

Gun Snob,
Can the lay person parkerize a trail hawk? I have never done anything like that but I want to mod a CS trail hawk by refining the burrs, edges, burn stripes into the handle, do some wrapping with leather, and parker it. Do you think it can be done or does the finish take a lot of specialized equipment?

Can the lay person parkerize a trail hawk? I have never done anything like that but I want to mod a CS trail hawk by refining the burrs, edges, burn stripes into the handle, do some wrapping with leather, and parker it. Do you think it can be done or does the finish take a lot of specialized equipment?

You can borrow most of it from Mrs. Nomad Rocky. :)

:eek: BUT HONEY! IT WAS FOR MY HAWKS!

This may help you understand the process...

http://www.pjsproducts.com/faq.htm

Hey Mr. Snob,
I received a nice new CS Norse hawk today that might look nice parkerized or blued.

Thanks CitizenQ. Seems easy enough. I am afraid of messing up my cookware and I don't have any junk cookware. Any suggetions?

Ok, another question. I really like the reddish stains and am thinking about staining the handle with something like the red mahogony, will it look goofy with the gray parkerized head? Should I stick with the ebony as pictured above?

Back