Mod'ing The CS Trail Hawk

Brown just dropped off my box from H&B. The Medieval Spike throws like a champ, Hits like a truck and looks way cool. I hit a pine round I use for knife throwing with the spike and it sunk to the top of the flair.

See no problem.

Now were is a Zombie when you need one?

Ahhh, so you like that one, do ya?

Picture264.jpg

14" is just about what a Vietnam Tomahawk is...
This is from memory, though... I am at work...
Like some say, much shorter and you lose efficiency...
Although, Gerber makes an 8" hatchet...

I joined the forum yesterday. Then I found y'all & have a confession to make...I've been a Tomahawk'aholic longer than some of you have been alive! As a youngster I trickshot Long Rifles and threw tomahawks to entertain tourists at long-forgotten "Western Themetowns" called Kaintuck Territory & Guntown Mountain. From Atlanta Cutlery, to Cold Steel, to 2hawks, to customs, to my own designs currently being carried by some Airborne Ranger Types (101st), I have always LOVED tomahawks. This thread, in particular, has re-energized my interest. Very, VERY pleased to meet y'all!

This is GREAT! I'm breaking out a bunch of old designs when I get home & get started again. I've often thought a 3/8" (maybe 1/4") thick, one-piece 'hawk made of D2 with a skeletonized handle specifically designed to lace 550 cord would be a treat. Or maybe a Titanium (lightweight) superfast fighter? I just never imagined there were actually OTHER seemingly normal guys who thought so much about tomahawks.

Press On!

Welcome!

Share some designs!

Y'all are lucky 'cause I just bought Mrs. Ghost Tracker a 10.2 MEG Sony "Whammer Jammer" of an SLR camera. I say Whammer Jammer 'cause I don't know jackspit about the thing...other than it was what she wanted. I hope, for what I paid for it, it'll take a pretty good photo!

Details to follow.

Good to meet you all. Thanks for all the great ideas and pics for the trail hawk. I have always had an obsessive fondness for hawks and hatchets, from hand forged hawks I carry at rhendezvous and historical trekking, wonderful flintedge hatchets from grandpa and larger norse throwers...
The smallest hawk I use is a mouse hawk from crazy crow. It was originally a gift to my youngest daughter, but she decided to exchange it for one of my heavier 1 lb. heart hawks as she likes to throw a heavier hawk. I enjoy it's usefullness and light weight in my over stuffed possibles bag so much, I knew I needed a CS trail hawk for my modern kit, and the mods to the trail hawks that i've seen in this thread are really nice and inspirational.
...more to come as I fiddle with the trail hawk...

Mark

Thanks to this thread I ordered a CS Riflemans Hawk. Ordered it on Tuesday and it came today (Thursday) from Galati. It is very impressive but pretty damn heavy, I see why alot of you guys have the Trail Hawk instead. So tomorrow I will order a Trail Hawk and maybe a Frontier Hawk as well for winter projects.
Just what I needed,.....another obsession.

Midwest Dave,
I bought the rifleman's hawk first too. Liked it...but it is heavy. For smaller work I really like the trail hawk. Much better at carrying also.

Just ordered two Trail Hawks and a Frontier Hawk and am eager to start stripping, staining, painting, carving and wrapping.
Look what you people started.

This thread definitely rekindled the Hawk Nut in me! I had several hawks laying around that were screaming for customization including two ATC Rainier Scouts, a Ranger Knives Renegade and a Cold Steel Norse Hawk. I will post them in another thread after making some more progress but this has been a very fun thread. And yes... I Have gone looking and NEARLY purchased a Trail Hawk of my own LOL. How long are you guys going on the handle?

My first was 19" on the handle (standard factory). My next two are gionna be 24" handles.

I was partial to shorties around 19" myself but after playing a little and getting more accurate a longer stick seems like the way to go. I guess a variety is nice.

Waaaaa!!!
I bwoke my 'Cold Steel' Vietnam Tomahawk!!!
The wife and my son and one daughter were throwing it today, and it hit handle-first...
Waaaaa!!!
I spwit da hamdle wength-wise... an half fell off!!!
Fired-off an email to Cold Steel to ask if I can swap it for a Trail Hawk...
It would be a much better choice for throwing I feel now...

Still got my ATC VTAC, though... now I understand why they upgraded the handle from hickory to 'plastic'...

Thats just bonding.:D
QUOTE]

+2 on the bonding. I just don't feel right with an edged weapon till I have at least lost a little blood to it. (some people call it clumsy, I just like to call it careless......oh wait, oh, never mind. The first time you accidently "stub" your bare foot toe on a battle axe blade you know you need to find better places to stash your weapons (that one bled way more than cutting the top off my knuckle with the matching sword). The only time it really bothered me was when I was talking to my friend behind the knife counter where he worked. I was looking at a smallish knife for my wife to carry in her purse and closed a small folder.......oops I noticed the entire pad of my pinky finger was sitting on the counter, no longer attached (fat stubby sausage fingers and little tiny folder don't match) and my friend behind the counter had used up all their band-aids on a bunch of other morons earlier that day, so he had none left me, his moron friend. :thumbup:

Glock17jhp, the VietNam tomahawk does not seem like the handle is attached for maximum strength/throwing . I would like to see that head style with a thicker eye for a slip joint fit so you could throw it more without breaking it. if you throw any one enough, eventually you are going to break handles.

My Thawk Battle Systems LLP "Parked Polished 'n Ready To Pound" Modified Trail Hawks will soon be marked with the following authenification brand. Sould arrive next week via SnailMail...

38634515_tp.jpg

Hehehe :)

Back