Mod'ing The CS Trail Hawk

LOL my foot still has not healed from where I stood on the bottom edge of my modded norse hawk that was leaning against my bedside table when I woke up to use the can.
I usually keep my hawk close to the bed but I was sharpening it and did not put it away properly.

Glock17jhp, the VietNam tomahawk does not seem like the handle is attached for maximum strength/throwing . I would like to see that head style with a thicker eye for a slip joint fit so you could throw it more without breaking it. if you throw any one enough, eventually you are going to break handles.

Agree...
But now I know why the VTAC has a non-wood handle...
I own a VTAC, but i want to replace the VT with a Frontier hawk from CS...

i found a box on my front porch today when I got home from work. I figured it was my three tomahawks from Galati but then thought otherwise when I picked it up. Much too light to be two Trail Hawks and a Frontier Hawk, I thought. But it was all three. I still have a hard time believing how light and handy these babies are.
But now I am starting to wonder if they are too light to put to work. So I will put it to the experts,....are these tough enough to use as a camp ax or in my BOB to make shelters or should I stick with my Riflemans Hawk? I would probably use it on nothing thicker than 3 inches in diameter.

They will work as a camp ax, but I wouldn't consider that as a primary role. As with any hatchet or ax, the heavier models will chop wood better...
Tell me about Galati... this is the first time I have heard the name...

Ebay is actually a good place to snag these CS hawks. 18 or 19 dollars, maybe another 7 or 8 dollars shipping.

I sent my Cold Steel Vietnam Tomahawk back to Cold Steel (broken handle from throwing it, and hitting handle-first a half dozen times)... they sent me (in exchange, at my request) a Frontier Hawk yesterday... and 3 spare handles!!! The original handles (the short ones they offer) are 19"... so I already cut it down to 14"...
MAAAAAANNNN!!! That wood seems MUCH harder than the handle on the Vietnam Tomahawk!!! Hard to cut, hard to 'shape' a bevel on the end like the original, etc... And it appears to be thicker than the Vietnam Tomahawk's handle... Should work much better for throwing... Oh, and I still have the ATC VTAC, too... I am a very happy camper!!!
I suppose I need to post a picture, since I cut the handle shorter...

ColdSteelFrontierHawkHandle.jpg

Blue Sky,

Yes, there is a set screw on the side not showing...

The shorter handle length makes it feel a lot better in the hand... it is the same length as the ATC VTAC, but only 7/8 oz. heavier...

ColdSteelFrontierHawkATCVTAC.jpg

(Frontier Hawk: 19 3/4 oz. - ATC VTAC: 18 7/8 oz.)

Not sure how throwing will be affected by my shortening the handle from 19" to 14", but I would expect faster rotation on the way to the target, plus the distance to the target will probably need to be a step or so closer...
I'll find out for sure...
If I had to use it in a fight, I'm sure the shorter length will be an asset (I'm not after the additional 'leverage/power' associated with the longer handle)...

savagesicslayer,
how well does it chop, limbs ,firewood and so on.....???? does it stay sharp??
buzzmonkey

Back