My Manix 2 Maxamet Just Snapped !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel free to elaborate. I don't take any of this personally and I embrace disagreement.
No, it is clear you like to argue and type a lot. I won't be playing that game. You can see my previous responses as well as the responses of just about everyone else if you need clarification on why I think you are wrong.

Hopefully the work week will bring a response from spyderco.

*snip*
I think it was just a poor example of customer service in this instance.

That’s how I see this as well. Spyderco is an awesome company that makes awesome products. Sal frequents here and consistently tries to make things right.

I believe this is just an unfortunate case where customer service was lacking.

Last edited:
*snip*

That’s how I see this as well. Spyderco is an awesome company that makes awesome products. Sal frequents here and consistently tries to make things right.

I believe this is is just an unfortunate case where customer service was lacking.
Or customer service didn't like the attitude of the customer?
If one person sends spyderco an articulate email explaining the issue and another jumps straight on a forum and calls it a POS who is most likely to get a replacement.
Spyderco are like any one of us...once in a while someone gets a f**k you.

Or customer service didn't like the attitude of the customer?
If one person sends spyderco an articulate email explaining the issue and another jumps straight on a forum and calls it a POS who is most likely to get a replacement.
Spyderco are like any one of us...once in a while someone gets a f**k you.

Sal and company have demonstrated time and again that they do not stoop to that sort of response. (At least I've not seen it.)
And kudos to them for that. I'd be disappointed if it were otherwise.

Me?, yeah...you might get some vindictiveness from me. I own that.

I have had three Spydercos with dangerously weak locks and one that liked to open in my pocket. The typical responses I received from Spyderco were excuses, not results. When I complained to them that the scissors on my new Clipitool were unable to cut a burr from my dog's fur, they said that cutting hair was outside of the intended use and that they should only be used on paper. Really? I've never heard that sort of rubbish from Victorinox.

I'm surprised at Spyderco's response. I also believe that most of the damage to the blade occurred during some earlier (unknown) usage, and the drywall simple completed the failure.

The blade's design and choice of steel definitely seem to be a poor pairing. Offering to replace the blade for a reasonable fee, even with a less exotic steel, would have been a much more appropriate response.

I read every post in this thread, and saw no indication that we believe that Spyderco should offer an unconditional warranty for their blades.

The only steels where the existing blade designs are problematic for some, are the ones that are well known to be the most brittle, such as Maxamet and S110V.

The standard production and less expensive S30V would be a better choice for scoring drywall.

Maxamet is much harder and is more abrasion resistant and especially well suited to cutting hard and abrasive materials. A well-designed Maxamet blade (that doesn't break at the plunge grind, when tip cutting) would easily outperform a S30v blade and be highly desirable for people scoring drywall.

Spyderco cant be expected to redesign their knives every time certian segments of the market demand these types of high wear resistance steels.

Spyderco can and has redesigned knives for different steels (H-1) and have their CQI (continuous quality improvement) process in place to make design changes, as needed. Spyderco has plenty of existing knife designs that do not have sharp plunge grinds and other unnecessary stress risers. As stated earlier, it's not that hard to do and is a common best practice in the industry. What segment of the market demands high-wear resistance steels? I suspect the main market is the craftsmen and trade workers that are cutting hard, abrasive materials (like the OP). These are people that are probably going to want to cut with the tip of the knife and apply some lateral force on the blade. I get that there are some cardboard cutters who like to nerd out on how much cardboard they can cut without ever applying lateral stress to the blades, but that is a very small market.

Spyderco goes farther than any company on the planet to make sure that independent and credible people (Larrin) have steel samples so they can accurately report on the properties of the different steels so people have a clear understanding of what they're buying.

While I do believe it would be a best practice to include a clear warning in the box, Spyderco is under no obligation to replace the knife even though no such warning is included. They have put the information out there.

Spyderco has disclosed absolutely nothing useful about Maxamet. Here is exactly what Spyderco's website says about the knife:

The Manix™ 2 Lightweight Maxamet® combines the lightweight construction of our award-winning Manix 2 Lightweight with a blade crafted from Carpenter® steel's Micro-Melt® Maxamet alloy. Maxamet is an extremely hard high-speed powdered tool steel possessing properties that transcend conventional high-speed tool steels and approach those of cemented carbides - the ultra-hard materials used to machine other steels. When Carpenter developed this amazing alloy for the rollers in their steel mills, they sent samples to various companies in the knife industry to evaluate as a blade material. Although many tried, Spyderco was one of only a handful of companies to successfully develop the specialized methods necessary to machine, heat treat, and grind this demanding material to yield reliable, high-performance knife blades.

This knife's full-flat-ground, leaf-shaped blade takes full advantage of Maxamet's properties, offering a superior combination of strength, low-friction cutting performance, and point utility.

This statement is clearly misleading, even if it is not false. Providing samples of steel (that have not been heat treated by Spyderco) to Larrin is in no way providing adequate disclosure. The vast majority of people that buy Maxamet knives probably aren't experts on steel or reading Larrin's articles. Larrin does his own heat treatment, which is not done to Spyderco's procedures. Larrin produces limited charpy-v-notch test data, which gives some indication of relative toughness between steels, but in no way can be used to determine whether a Manix 2 Maxamet blade will fail for any particular application.

If you know the maximum lateral force that can be applied to the tip, without breaking the blade, please do tell everyone. If you know the maximum lateral force that can be applied without causing fatigue crack growth, please do tell everyone. If the knife maker doesn't disclose this information, it is reasonable for a knife buyer to assume that the blade will not snap, when used for cutting.

I think most people share the opinion that the OP made a reasonable assumption, based on the information that was available to him.

51Bk8j2wceL._AC_.jpg

"I was fine...and then I just snapped!"

I like the Dodge Demon analogy.

I guess fundamentally this all is just a matter of expectations, and as previously mentioned, I'd also like to see a warning in the box so as to help manage those expectations.

Despite being relatively new to folding knives of this level, when I bought Maxamet, from the onset I've been under the belief that if I break it, I'll just need to buy a new one.

For all of you who successfully score drywall with Maxamet and S110V, and those of you who expect Maxamet to be able to handle it, keep in mind the sheer amount of pressure some people use, far more than what's required. That one point is a major variable.

I think this debate we're having is a healthy one for the readers of this forum as a whole.

I dont like to see broken knives!!!

Honestly, would you purchase a knife for $200 simply to see if it could whittle hair? It's a knife. There are certain parameters which can't or shouldn't be ignored.

"Hey, Ed, can I borrow your knife?"
"No can do, amigo, it's Maxamet."
"Oh, sorry. I wanted to cut something."

Really? Forgive me if I don't think that was the intent behind bringing it to market.

Honestly, would you purchase a knife for $200 simply to see if it could whittle hair? It's a knife. There are certain parameters which can't or shouldn't be ignored.

Really? Forgive me if I don't think that was the intent behind bringing it to market.
Thats the problem....what do u want???
You can't praise a company for experimenting and pushing the envelope on one hand then wonder why the steel they give you for amazing edge retention is brittle and one dimensional.
Any study into maxamet suggests to use heavy handed apes it is just an expensive letter and vox opener.
Usually to open up boxes containing tougher knives.
People ask for maxamet without quite realising what there asking for?
Pick a knife and steel suitable for your own needs....once in a while it goes horribly wrong

It seems that a Maxamet blade is rather unforgiving under lateral pressure. Spyderco should consider including a warning note.
Spyderco's written response to the warranty claim is poor. Denying the claim is understandable if not justified...but that letter?
"We are happy to see that your knife has been put to good use...not a warranty issue." Why "good use" when it appears that they mean misuse. And why "happy" when it appears that they mean sorry.

It seems that a Maxamet blade is rather unforgiving under lateral pressure. Spyderco should consider including a warning note.
Begs the question why pony up $200 without proper research.
The information is available.

Ed is wise for not loaning his Maxamet knife. The best steel for loaning to others is 8cr13mov and Spyderco does offer knives in that steel.

Most people would argue that a pocket knife should not be used for scoring drywall. My opinion is that it depends on the steel, and Maxamet is not one that I could recommend for drywall.

Begs the question why pony up $200 without proper research.
The information is available.

I have long studied the information. I have a couple of Maxamet knives. I also have knives in K390, M4, Cru-Wear, S90V, 204P, REX 45, S110V, S60V, 52100 among others.

Further, I know that simply scoring wallboard, as indicated by the OP, is not something that "should" cause a Maxamet blade to fail.

So, is the OP deceiving us? I can't guarantee that he hasn't. Is Shawn deceiving us? Why should he?

In any case, a more comprehensive reply from Spyderco is required to put the matter to rest.

Ed is wise for not loaning his Maxamet knife. The best steel for loaning to others is 8cr13mov and Spyderco does offer knives in that steel.

Most people would argue that a pocket knife should not be used for scoring drywall. My opinion is that it depends on the steel, and Maxamet is not one that I could recommend for drywall.

What you didn't realize is that Ed's friend only wanted to slice a banana. But please, continue...

So, is the OP deceiving us? I can't guarantee that he hasn't. Is Shawn deceiving us? Why should he?

In any case, a more comprehensive reply from Spyderco is required to put the matter to rest.
Here lies the problem.
Only one person knows the truth.
Spyderco cant win.....maybe the truth involves questions of one's honesty and turns one pr issue into another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back