New 14 run

Thanks GEC/DLT:thumbsup:. Really liking the snakewood and I'm a big fan of the oak leaf shield (perfectly proportioned too)! The Northfield is nicely trimmed and the fit/finish on my example is spot on. Should have gotten a tortoise shell but I already have way too many of these...:eek:

ICJchx5.jpg

I think it is a gorgeous knife. I'd lose the blade print but otherwise she is a real beauty.
I had initially posted this in my Photoshop thread...but took it out because I didn't want it to look like I was criticizing those who actually designed the knife and especially those who like it just how it is. Not my intention at all. In my opinion though, I thought it would also have looked great with a few minor tweaks. A few of you have commented on your opinions as well and I thought you might like to see what it would look like. All I did was remove the etch and made the tang stamp print a tiny bit smaller. I left the shield alone because I think it looked just fine. The bone looks good, bolsters are nice and I think it is a great looking #14 either way.
Custom_14_AAPK.jpg

Turned out nice! Not a huge fan of all the labeling, but it is a forum knife so I understand the promotion. In the end, it is a unique enough knife that I ordered one. Should be here tomorrow, I'm excited to see it.

I have been enjoying my new 2 blade 14 (the Northfield jigged bone) for the last few days, and, for the most part, I think it is a fantastic little knife.

But, in support of Darren, here are a couple of my little nitpicks. The blade etch is too small. Better to have just left it off. The next thing is so minor I hesitate to even bring it up, but the pattern number being split on the pen blade (3 numbers per side) bugs me. The other side of the master blade is stamped GEC CAR. Why not put the pattern number on the reverse of the master and split GEC and CAR on the pen?

Anyway, the Northfield trim on the 14 takes some getting used to, you know, brass liners and pins instead of steel everything, glossy blades. I liked the 'pen behind main' setup on the 2016 run and having the pen in front of the master blade is kinda taking some adjustment on my part. The little points on the swedge are sharp, like others have mentioned, but I don't mind that. It showed up nice and sharp. GEC has really upped their game in that regard. I still am not quite sure how I like the jigging, but the color is nice. A nice subdued color for a dressy little pocketknife.

The pulls on mine are stout! I would give it a 7/8 with the pen at least a 6 or so. No way I could pinch either open, just FYI for those interested. I can certainly see this little number working its way into my rotation and I think Lyle was a genius to go with a 2 blade variant for his SFO!

I was away for the weekend at an Oktoberfest celebration. This little guy was waiting for me when I got home. I think it is a fine knife, though there is something about it that is slightly off putting. When I compare it to my 2 blade 14 in Ebony, it does not have the same feeling of substance. I am guessing that it has to do with the fact that the one I have in Ebony has steel bolsters and liners and is slightly thicker. It fills the hand a bit better than this new one in bone.

Regardless, it is a pretty little knife and I am going to tote it around today and see if I can really take a liking to it. I should be getting a stag variant in the next couple of days. I intentionally sought out an example with thicker slabs so we will see how it turns out.

5dDIdo6.jpg

I was away for the weekend at an Oktoberfest celebration. This little guy was waiting for me when I got home. I think it is a fine knife, though there is something about it that is slightly off putting. When I compare it to my 2 blade 14 in Ebony, it does not have the same feeling of substance. I am guessing that it has to do with the fact that the one I have in Ebony has steel bolsters and liners and is slightly thicker. It fills the hand a bit better than this new one in bone.

Regardless, it is a pretty little knife and I am going to tote it around today and see if I can really take a liking to it. I should be getting a stag variant in the next couple of days. I intentionally sought out an example with thicker slabs so we will see how it turns out.

5dDIdo6.jpg
Oh, that looks wonderful.

Mark side not as much texture as pile. Not too fat, nicely hafted with concave as seen in last pic. Pen blade is thinner than clip, making it's spring also thinner and results in a slightly lighter pull, about right.

GEC14stag-1.jpg

GEC14stag-2.jpg

GEC14stag-3.jpg

GEC14stag-4.jpg

Couldn’t resist any more there going fast so just scored a Gec#14 Sambar Stag-16 from traditional pocket knives :thumbsup:
It’s all your fault Harry and Chief :)

When I compare it to my 2 blade 14 in Ebony, it does not have the same feeling of substance. I am guessing that it has to do with the fact that the one I have in Ebony has steel bolsters and liners and is slightly thicker. It fills the hand a bit better than this new one in bone.

5dDIdo6.jpg

I just got mine and compared to the single blade 14s I like it much better. It just feels much more substantial and better in hand. I know that there are still some 2-blades on the way but I still wish that more of these had been 2-blade versions like the '16 run.

Back