New Dual Survival Personality is no Longer a secret

This show has become the crapfest that all the other "reality" shows are. I can no longer watch it.

I think it would be great to have Cody, Les and And Andrew Zimmerman togher on a week long survival. Or stick him with one of the two for a few shows. In a way it would be boring as no one going to jump of cliffs stab boars with a spear or do anything stupid like bear. But you know they are not going to starve for a week with Andrew around. Besides Zimmerman has the best personalty to keep us all coming back and I bet there would be more survival how to and common sence then all others put togher. Andrew would have to try everything they do him self.
One of the most fun survival shows I seen was with Andrew on that island. He never plays the macho man to impress anyone. he just made it fun and enjoyed it. I bet with all his travels he picked up more ideas and how to then most people out there. He always joined the guides on the adventures.
Well its was a thought for a great show. Who else is with me???

Sasha

Funny you mention this. The one Bear Gryllis show that I enjoyed was because of his co-star, Will Ferrell. "Mommy!"

I'm sick of it all. Every bit of it is 'made for TV'. It's a damn shame that even the SF guys are selling out (eventually) for endorsements.

R. A. Barnard II USAF(RET) 3403 S.E.R.E.

It's a damn shame that even the SF guys are selling out (eventually) for endorsements

You've seen the pittance we call a "retirement check" after taxes, Tricare and SBP...You would take an endorsement as well!

Lets me honest money talks. We would do some acting if the paycheck was good. I won't blame any of them trying to make a living.
We had the show dual survival on all day today. So while doing the dishes and cleaning my place and watching the show. I noticed that Cody was putting Joe ideas down almost everytime. Talk about trying to create drama . Was he trying to make Joe idea look bad or what.Now man woman wild show was so much better. The more I watch it the less i like it.. Watching the reruns today all day It really hit me just how little the show is about survival and how much it is drama between two guys. Who act like the odd couple.

Each episode I watch this season makes me like last season better. The same goes Joe Teti vs. Dave Canterbury. I think Dave has a greater knowledge base and more importantly a greater passion and aptitude for actual teaching. Joe makes Dave look downright humble and that's saying a lot.

This season seems more contrived and well, stupid. I think the this show officially jumped the shark when Mr. Teti whipped out his knife and killed the boar in Hawaii. WTF ?!? Did you see that crazy look and body language he had right after? Was that acting or did he go to his special "killing" place?

Exactly.I think it was bad acting. The whole show is scripted (what they get, how they go, where they go, what they find, what they do, a pig, a cow hide etc, etc). Cody follows the script half-ass the new guy is trying too hard. It became dull to watch. What a shame.

It's the bossy and bitchy show now. I like what skills and knowledge I can glean from it, but it is about entertainment now.

I think I would enjoy this show much better if they were in scenarios that the average American is likely to encounter. Getting lost in Yellowstone Park or the White Mountains in NH. Being stranded on Mt. Hood, or hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. How many average Americans are stranded during African safaris?

Each show should start or end with a recommended list of "must haves" when venturing out into the terrain that's covered in that week's show and showing how to properly use it.

I'm starting to warm up to Joe, even though I miss the interaction between Dave and Cody. Cody clearly has a chip on his shoulder this season and you can tell he's the unoffical shot caller of the show. It would be cool if every few episodes they have a third wheel along for the adventure...Bear, Les, or perhaps someone who works in that capacity like a SERE instructor or a local guide from the area of interest.

I think I would enjoy this show much better if they were in scenarios that the average American is likely to encounter. Getting lost in Yellowstone Park or the White Mountains in NH. Being stranded on Mt. Hood, or hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. How many average Americans are stranded during African safaris?

Each show should start or end with a recommended list of "must haves" when venturing out into the terrain that's covered in that week's show and showing how to properly use it.

I'm starting to warm up to Joe, even though I miss the interaction between Dave and Cody. Cody clearly has a chip on his shoulder this season and you can tell he's the unoffical shot caller of the show. It would be cool if every few episodes they have a third wheel along for the adventure...Bear, Les, or perhaps someone who works in that capacity like a SERE instructor or a local guide from the area of interest.
I'd like to see that too but I don't think "educational programming" is on Discovery's radar anymore. I used to love the channel but I'm tired of them filming morons who can't make it in society and calling it reality tv. Not this show so much but the gold rush and shows like it bug the hell out of me. A bunch of D bags being D bags. Great programming. :rolleyes:

Very true. I notice with all of these new reality shows, the camera never stops for longer than a couple of seconds for each frame. We live in such an ADD afflicted culture where people need constant stimulation in order to keep them interested. The incessent movement of camera angles and zooming in and out drives me crazy. It's one of the reasons I stopped watching certain shows like Overhaulin' and some of the other car related shows.

It's unfortunate that a guy like Ray Mears will never get to do a show of his own in the 21st century "flash over substance" world we live in.

Very true. I notice with all of these new reality shows, the camera never stops for longer than a couple of seconds for each frame. We live in such an ADD afflicted culture where people need constant stimulation in order to keep them interested. The incessent movement of camera angles and zooming in and out drives me crazy.

Agreed.

They are almost as bad as commercials. I noticed one frame per second with some commercials which (tin foil hat on) makes me think whether the whole subliminal messaging thing is back on. Why not implement the "psychology" behind commercials onto actual programming? You might as well forget about plots. I had the misfortune of watching one of the Transformers movies and I felt like I was going to have epileptic seizures.

I love watching the show with my 13 year old. He likes the skills, and it keeps him interested with theatrics such as killing the boar. I like it because my boy is interested in some of the same things I am. We've seen all of the Ray Mears shows, and Les is too boring for the kid, (tho I do like Survivorman), and Bear is too over the top for an intelligent teenager.
The only difference between Joe and Dave that I've noticed, is Joe hasn't said "bush-hippie crap" yet. Love that phrase. I think quite highly of Lundin, but if I ever meet him, I'm saying bush-hippie crap.

Seriously, the show is a bit lame, since it is essentially Cody sitting down and being calm and realistic while his cohort tries to liven-up the show by adding excitement. In a real survival situation, without cameras, they'd get along fine and get tasks done that made good survival sense without bickering. But overall, it's better than most stuff on TV.

I thought the last show with them starting in the caves was the best so far. I enjoyed the Mylar balloon exercise.

I agree. I thought he was a total dbag and now I am seeing Cody that way (expects flames). Cody may be more knowledgeable but he is such as douche in this season...

I don't see either of 'em as d-bags. This season is significantly more scripted and the headbutting is unavoidable.

I felt they should have tied the balloon at a good height over their camp site.

What would you recommend they should have used to tie it up at a good height with? Don't recall them having kite string or anything similar. Just curious...

What would you recommend they should have used to tie it up at a good height with? Don't recall them having kite string or anything similar. Just curious...

I don't know. I would have let them figure it out. Cody always comes up with some sort of root vine or branch bark he weaves into a string.

Back