New Umnumzaan Pivot

Personally I like the old Pivot since it fits the knife style so well.

The new Pivot looks like an off the shelf part where the original pivot looks like a custom part.

For people who are involved in manufacturing what would the actual part cost difference be between the original custom pivot and an off the shelf pivot?

Where I work we do a basic 4X parts cost to final product cost so whatever the difference in pivot part cost is really 4X that amount.

Just trying to put manufacturing and cost containment into perspective.

Actually, I would do bad things to good people for a plain jane Umnumzaan.

I love my plain jane Sebs, but I'd trip a nun for a
Sebenza with milling work on it. I really dig it on the Umnumzaan.

As for the pivot, I've changed my mind. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with the "25" set up now, having one with the old style in my pocket as I type has something to do with it though.

If I didn't already have one I'd opt for the older style.

Does that make any sense?:confused:

Trying hard to warm up to the new pivot since I planned my next CRK to be an umnum but I just can't! The new pivot makes it look more feminine and way less bad ass. Was gonna wait until my cc was paid off but I might have to make an exception before they're all gone.

Trying hard to warm up to the new pivot since I planned my next CRK to be an umnum but I just can't! The new pivot makes it look more feminine and way less bad ass. Was gonna wait until my cc was paid off but I might have to make an exception before they're all gone.

They can ano it pink and put sparkles on the thumb studs and it STILL wouldn't be feminine. The Umnumzaan is and will ALWAYS be badass, no matter what changes it goes through :thumbup::cool:

Sure, it makes production easier and the knife easier to take down. But it gives up the good looks and uniqueness of the original pivot. The last thing I wanna see is another run of the mill pivot design.

They should have kept the pivot design the same and just added a standard hex key in the center.
That way it makes the knife easier to take down and still retains its original looks.

I really love that big honking 4 hole pivot and the square jimping of the original knife. So I don't think I'll be picking up this version. I would rather pay a premium and pick up an older version if I had too.

Sorry guys,
Im not being a hater, its just the older pivot was one aspect that I truly loved about the Zaan. :(

What sucks is there's no pivot bushing in the Umni or the 25. They would be real hard use folders with the beefed up pivots and a big ol' barrel of a bushing in between the scales!

I still think the new changes would make it the perfect small sized Umnumzaan. Add to that some damascus and it would make for one bad@ss little folder.

I liked the old pivot better and the old jimping much better. Don't really care too much, though. I have a Startac Zaan and I think that's always the one I'll want to have anyway.

I do think it has a lot to do with cost cutting. It take a lot of time for CRK to perfectly dial in a bushing setup and generally you get Sebs with a bit of a stiff opening, because even if they DO dial it in perfect from the factory, when the washers break in and subsequently wear a tiny bit thinner, you'll end up being able to force a tiny bit of play. To have a perfect bushing setup requires some maintenance and it will most likely require you to tweak it yourself to get a perfect action from the start.

I liked the bushing because and was bummed that it was gone at first, because I thought that system was a big part of "CRK tolerances" - the fact that it worked. I loved how you didn't have to tighten the pivot at all and there would still be blade play. However, I found on my Umnum that the same thing is true - just the scales being tightened together creates the perfect distance for the blade plus washers to fit in and it gets zero blade play with the pivot only finger-tightened. You still get that feeling of amazing tolerances but it's much easier to tweak and maintain. My Zaan's blade will drop when you take the pressure off the lock bar just like my perfectly dialed in Seb. However, it takes zero effort and doesn't even require you to find the "sweet" spot on most knives. You just screw the pivot together finger tight and the tolerances do the rest. You've got perfect smoothness with a free swinging blade and zero blade play.

With the bushing setup, you're prone to either a bit of blade play or a stiff action. IF you've taken the time (or gotten lucky) to dial in the bushing setup perfectly, all you've done is created the equivalent of what I will always be able to get out of my Zaan and any other standard pivot system high quality knife --- perfect smoothness/free swinging blade and solid blade play. It's a microscopically thin line between a bushing system Sebenza being either too stiff or slight blade play, and if you're even slightly to the far side of that hair line distance, you'll be able to force a tiny bit of wiggle in the blade. I think CRK's tolerances are still just as apparent in the pivot system of the Zaan and presumably the 25, but it's a much more foolproof system that can be adjusted in seconds with a tool when the washers break in/wear as opposed to with a sheet of sand paper and lots of trial and error. Just my opinion.

But yeah, screw the mismatched pivot (a cost saving technique) and the lack of the most perfect jimping, especially for this knife. The normal jimping feels so nice and looks perfect for the Zaan. I'm not used to seeing the Sebenza style jimping on this knife and don't like it, even though the Seb jimping is also perfect - but perfect for the Seb...

Not too keen on the new pivot.

I thought the whole point of the big pivot on the Umnum was that it gave a lot of surface area.

I don't like these new mods at all on the Umnum.
The original, like the one i own, is the one that always made me want to buy one. I really like the "old" pivot wich i find to be the most distinctive aspect of the knife, setting it apart from any other out there!
The dual thumbstuds and the jimpimg were also a persuading factor so seeing it changed now it kind of breaks my heart:(
So take a look at this:
[video=youtube;7n6yca0ZEbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6yca0ZEbY[/video]
:eek:
Has the jimping already started to change?!

I meant more surface area on the bolt face touching the scale, not the pivot diameter.

One aesthetic I like about the new pivot design is it seems to have fixed the slight bulge of the tang sticking out past the finger guard cutout; it always looked like a design flaw to me.

have the old s30v one, love it
the newer one looks good, jimping may work better or look better, nor sure
the improved pivot looks better maybe in the asymmetrical version but the new one is not bad either, maybe less 'zaan than before but easier to disassemble/tweak

wonder about the pivot size, imagine it's the same

Does anyone have pictures of the new style Umnumzaan tore down?

Do they have the 25 style washers?
Is the pivot diameter the same?

Back