1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.
  2. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

No Knife :-(

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by wdtorque, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Rey HRH

Rey HRH

Oct 6, 2014
    I'm sensitive to a guy making an honest living and having issues that put his ability to earn a livelihood at risk. That could very well be me. I wish nothing but the best and a full recovery for Ian.

2. Bludgeon

Bludgeon

Dec 28, 2014
    I also hope for a pain free recovery for you Ian. My career ended at 41 years old from degenerative joint disease leading to two hip surgeries and a total hip replacement. Hang in there, things have a way of working themselves out.

3. JR88FAN

JR88FAN

May 5, 2013
    I am not sure if you've ever heard of Karma, but you've taken every opportunity to beat down Mr. Hall in this thread.

I hope you never find your name in this section of the forum for any reason other than a positive one, but, should you happen to make a mistake or should something derail your ability to work, I will be the first one to pile on you sky high...

It's one thing to doubt someone and be skeptical, it's quite another to just be down right evil and mean spirited.

I wouldn't take a knife from you sir if you where giving them away.....

4. wdtorque

wdtorque

May 29, 2010
    Folks,
    A request to respect one another and treat others as you would like your own family to be treated.
    Thanks,
    Dozier

5. Ritt

Ritt

May 17, 2004
    Got my knife today!

6. wdtorque

wdtorque

May 29, 2010
    Good deal. Nothing here yet but, I'm feeling pretty good about Ian coming through.
    Dozier

7. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    Ian, for full disclosure this has been going on for more than a year and a half. Same lack of communication, same statements of the knife being done when it wasn't.

I really hope you get better quickly and Lord willing when that happens you start cranking out great knives again. But please don't make it sound like it's just been this year. If/when you start making knives again you need to stick to your deadlines or no matter how great your knives are people will find you less than dependable. You don't want that, your peers don't want that, and your customers don't want that. I understand your medical issues have only fairly recently started but you missing deadlines that you yourself set and telling people things that aren't really true is not.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1202072-Hall-Handmade?highlight=Ian+hall

Like I said in the email I sent to you a couple of weeks back, regardless of the knife making business, whatever happens, I hope you get better and congrats on the good news of your wife's pregnancy. It's a hard time. You'll pull through. Good luck, sir.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  8. 91wm6

91wm6

Nov 25, 2012
    I got my knife Wednesday, couldn't be happier with it. It's absolutely amazing quality wise, the grinds are just about perfectly symmetrical. The sheath is simple but high quality, and compliments the knife well. The whole package is smaller than I thought (Ian provided specs, I just over estimated size), but it turns out to be perfect for edc either on body or in an edc pack. Thanks Ian!
    [​IMG]

9. JR88FAN

JR88FAN

May 5, 2013
    C'mon man, if you wanna throw a log onto the fire, then at least make sure it's made of wood....

He didn't make your knife because you wanted something he just didn't feel right doing.

We've seen that happen in this forum before.

This is a very different matter all together, and adding the two together is just not adding up to me.

Seems to me that as I follow this thread, Mr. Hall is making good of either refunding his customers or getting them their knives....why don't we let that process just finish?

10. mtangent

mtangent

Dec 6, 2011
    I would like to say that "recreational indignation" is a beautiful phrase.
    I will also say, that as a reader of this thread with no skin in the game, Mr Hall comes off looking like an honest man. All the best.

11. Ritt

Ritt

May 17, 2004
    I gotta agree with this.

Here's a quote from bodog's thread:
    He asked no deposit and I lost nothing in the deal other than time and opportunity

Dragging this up just makes you look petty, bodog.

12. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    He was a gentleman through and through. I hope he gets better soon because his knives really do stand out.

13. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    And that's not exactly true but it's not worth rehashing. I'm not trying to kick a man when he's down. When, not if, he gets back up I hope he communicates a little better and doesn't offer deadlines that he can't meet. Nothing more. He really is a nice guy. One of the nicest guys I've talked to, as a matter of fact. Sometimes he bit off more than he could chew, I'm sure that's happened to many talented craftsmen who had a strong presence in their field. I know I've bitten off more than I could chew before and needed someone to come in and say to chill out because I was getting overwhelmed or took on projects I couldn't complete. It helped me get my mind right and set me on a better path. He's making things right and that's what's important. It says a lot considering the physical difficulties he's currently experiencing. A lot of other people wouldn't be doing anything.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  14. wdtorque

wdtorque

May 29, 2010
    Got my knife this morning!
    Mr. Hall came through as most of us hoped and wished.
    Hope your health improves and things smooth out for you Ian.

As far as the knife goes, it is outstanding craftsmanship.
    The grinds, ergonomics, fit and finish, all here. The hallmarks of a very skilled knife maker.

My Best to you and your family Ian.
    Dozier

15. TOMBSTONE

TOMBSTONE Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 1998
    That's fantastic, I'm so happy for you! It also goes to show you that some people still have work and personal ethics. Even under such extremely painful and difficult challenges this knifemaker had the determination to follow through with his commitments. That's impressive and refreshing. To Ian, I truly hope better day's and many blessings come your way.

16. Kirkwood

Kirkwood Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I bought a knife from the same batch as the OP and received it last week. Just as described with the sheath I requested. A great knife all around! :)

I sincerely hope Ian's health resolves for the better and wish him nothing but the best.

17. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Glad to see this coming together, and in a positive manner. Best wishes to everyone involved.

Mr. Hall, here's wishing you better and pain-free days ahead, sir.

18. Ulf Krogstad

Ulf Krogstad

Nov 19, 2013
    Me and a few others have been waiting for knife materials going on 6 weeks now.

Would like to hear something from you Ian. Good to see others have got there knives.

19. knifeknut

knifeknut Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 1998
    They have not all been shipped. I have not received the Knife I paid for in July. I opened a dispute in ebay this evening. Before we all fall all over ourselves about someone having a hard time but coming through in the end, lets make sure the claims that everything has been shipped is true.

20. HallHandmade

HallHandmade

Jun 5, 2012
    First off,

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I appreciate it. I may or may not deserve them, but at least they take the edge off the not so nice ones. You have my sincere gratitude.

Ulf,

The other material buyer requested a refund and has been refunded as of my last post in this thread.

I had some of my BF sales set aside in a separate drawer in my lockbox, I was cleaning and moved everything off the benches to keep them away from dust and damage. No complicated reason, that's it. They just weren't out in the open and I haven't been in the shop much anyways.

I'm willing to resolve in any way you see appropriate, double your order, send free + cost of shipping, doesn't matter at this point.

Please email me at ian at hallhandmade dot com or ouspco at gmail, both emails work, and I will receive either immediately.

PM notifications from BF do not work at all for me, and for many others from what I understand. I have not been back to BF since my last post in this thread. I had no idea that you'd sent me two PM's, and if you've sent any email via the forum, that hasn't arrived either. Neither type of notification has worked for me since probably the end of last year.

The reason I'm here, is I got your dispute notification, that's the only way I even knew to come and post.

I take refund requests seriously and send within 24-72hrs. Anyone who has ever asked me for one can vouch for that.

As I mentioned on page 3:

PM's on BF aren't the greatest way to contact someone in a hurry. Yes, I would have responded on my next visit, which I'd actually been planning for several days. To be honest I don't feel I can be blamed for not being excited about coming and reading a bunch of posts about how much of a terrible horrible person I am.