No Vacation! Starring Snark W. Griswold

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by The Warrior, Mar 21, 2020.

1. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    That's how I felt about the 20. Great chopper, but if it gets bigger than the nine, I'll use a hatchet. I never really cared for the 21 too much. Bad ass looking blade, but to me, that's about it. Perhaps if the blade was sharpened at a different angle, but stock it didn't work well.

GeofS likes this.
  2. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Yeah, I worked on my 21's edge a bit. I needed a big badass blade until I have a forge large enough to make my own at that size. :)

GeofS, Xr6x and The Warrior like this.
  3. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I should rehome my 21 that I modded the grip on slightly one of these days - it just sits in the knife bag.

Xr6x and The Warrior like this.
  4. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Agreed, I never use my BK6 because I'm afraid I'll break it, besides it doesn't do anything my J.A. Parangatang won't do. I've got the 20. 21 & 29 and I end up using the niner or the Zomstro cleaver almost always.

Xr6x and The Warrior like this.
  5. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    The niner just works. My all time most used blade.

Xr6x and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  6. Galeocerdoshark

Galeocerdoshark

May 21, 2011
    My SO and I hiked a 12km trail today. There was some good scenery. Forest pics never seem to work out too well so I only took some pics where the terrain was a bit more open.
    Halfway through the trail there's a long stretched moat that houses a lot of life today. Back in 1939 it was constructed as an antitank obstacle. Didn't help much in hindsight.
    I'm carrying the 11 on the front of my belt in an Armatus sheath, works really really well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Love ALL the Big Becker’s now :D Took me a LONG TIME to get my 20 to have an even edge on both the left and right side the full length :DThought it was just in need of tip when new :p:p:p. All good now and it cuts like a KNIFE and chops better than my hatchet :)

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  8. tanglediver

tanglediver Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Who wouldn't like a new BK6? :D

As far as grinding jobs go, I've never gotten a Becker that did not cut stuff right out of the box.

On the other hand, I picked up a CS Wakazashi machete some time ago that was the worst abortion of a sharpening attempt I've ever seen. I could never imagine getting something that bad, brand new out of the box from anyone, but there it was. It was embarrassing. I spent one whole evening of intense work dressing the edge, but only after taking it to work and attacking it with my die grinders just to make it safe to handle. WTG CS o_O

GeofS and Xr6x like this.
  9. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    A new 6 would be sweet :D I don’t believe a bad grinds happen often but like anything :poop: happens once in a while o_O

10. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I would buy a new 6 for sure. They are sexy. I just won't use the Camillus one anymore, unless for very light work.

11. tanglediver

Sep 2, 2013
  12. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    I saw that about Dave Canterbury on the IG. Really glad I bought his book for my cousin's 18th b'day last summer.

On a lighter note:

Are you ready for masked formal season??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MolokaiRider, GeofS and dogboye like this.
  13. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    Too formal? Too stuffy?
    Snark got stuffed?

Next formal mask pattern used same fabric scheme with double-sided binding, for a faint hint of pink at the edge of the cheeks. Hawt. Going to my lawyer buddy in NYC. Too bad suit season is over. Too bad going outside season doesn't really exist, but he should look sharp while walking the dog. :-D

Xr6x, Aikiguy, 1066vik and 1 other person like this.
  14. tanglediver

Sep 2, 2013
    Where did all this chicken-little cowardice come from?
    It's the flu, people are going to get sick, a very few might get very sick and some may die. You don't destroy the nation because you MIGHT get the flu.
    I am done with the cowardice.

15. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    We have a flu vaccine and have had one for decades and we still have 65K to 85K die every year.

With the Chinese Virus, we have had just under 100K die, with an estimated 20% to 25% incorrect attribution (saying a person died of the CV when they really didn't, they just tested positive for it after they died of a car wreck, heart attack, stroke, gun shot).

That percentage of inaccuracy brings the death totals down to roughly the same as the regular flu, which Oh, by the way, no one seems to have died of since this fiasco started.

Is the Chinese virus contagious/infectious? Yes

Are people dying with it? Yes

Are people dying from it? Yes, but not as many as dying with it.

Form your own opinion.

tanglediver likes this.
  16. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    EVEN IF the virus is exactly as deadly as the flu BY PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE WHO CATCH IT, COVID-19 is 10x as virulent, which means it spreads exponentially faster, which means DRAMATICALLY more people will get it AND DRAMATICALLY more will die. Note that this is the actual appropriate use of the word "exponential", not the stupid diluted use that people often use to mean "gee, I think a lot".

A flu case typically spreads to ~1.4 other people.
    A COVID-19 case typically spreads to ~14 other people (and then they all spread it to 14 etc.)
    At the peak, 800 people were dying of this every day in New York City - where my parents live (they got out in time) and which was my home for a decade.
    They have brought in refrigerated trailers for the bodies because the morgues were overwhelmed weeks ago. One trailer's refrigeration unit failed...

So if you're casual about protection, you are putting other people's lives at risk. My late partner's adopted mother died of it two weeks ago. In my entire life, I've never known anyone who died of the flu. Obviously areas of low human density are at lower risk just because people are more distant from one another more of the time, but any apartment-type living arrangement is in serious peril.

Please do NOT form your own opinion. Listen to the experts, for Life's sake, and behave in a sensible manner. It's not merely about you. It's about cooperating as a nation to not kill off all of our elders and other vulnerable people.

Also, an excuse to make Lemonade in spite of the insanity.
    And if anyone knows what 100% cotton camo ripstop fabric (by the yard) is easy to breath through, please do let me know.

[​IMG]

Aikiguy, Xr6x, GeofS and 1 other person like this.
  17. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Been awhile since I've purchased a "new" knife. A few photos:

Obviously a Roselli:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roselli Grandfather:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The handle seems short, but it isn't. It's tall as well. Those of you that know me, know I have some big mitts. All the blade you need really:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Thanks for the pics, dubz.
    That's a lot bigger than it looks on the website listing.

The Warrior likes this.
  19. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Sure is. I looked up the specs earlier. It has a 5" handle:

Knife Length: 7.25"

Blade Length: 2.75"

Blade Width: 1.25"

Blade Thickness: 0.12"

Knife Weight: 3.4 oz.

Handle Length: 5"

Pommel: natural curly birch

Handle Circumference: 3.5"

Handle Material: natural curly birch

Sheathed Weight: 4.9 oz.

Sheathed Length: 9"

Belt Loop: 2.5"

Blade Material: high carbon steel (0.7% - 0.8%), hardened to Rockwell 59 - 62

Xr6x and 1066vik like this.
  20. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    I love stubby stabby!!

Xr6x, 1066vik and The Warrior like this.