No Vacation! Starring Snark W. Griswold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thisll be my first blade forums knife. What a year for it to be so memorable. Downside is all these poll threads got me thinking how i need more traditional knives in my life. Seems i turned my back on them years ago.
Fun, isn’t it? Last year’s Forum knife was awesome! :thumbsup:

I’ve been on a modern traditional kick lately. I’m really loving some of the stuff coming out of Maniago, Italy right now. Here’s some modern takes on classical designs...
4nv9z1y.jpg

Four more are inbound. :)

I like the "modern traditional" idea. Wish GEC would make something in a decent stainless steel for small blades.

Yeah, its really sidetracked me for a few days. It helps us not dwell on current events. And knife “design” by committee is a great idea.

Ive liked the look of several italian knives but thats the full extent. My traditional folders are either US or spanish. Not to mention a few higonokamis laying around

I honestly thought about this a few times.
I'd be ripped too from covering all the height difference here :D.
Ain't nobody got time for getting ripped. So here's some ham.
9pxyRPN.jpg

And some more scenery?
yBfnJqL.jpg

TABkTU5.jpg

wVuNSz6.jpg

The water was absolutely freezing :eek:
Dfpr7Lv.jpg

NPhY4YY.jpg

Zg2a7aa.jpg

Who likes some museum pics? The town I'm staying actually has an early Celtic culture named after it: the Hallstatt culture. They got rich through salt trading. Tons of graves were discovered with some nice bronze age items. Thought you guys might like the swords and axeheads. In particular I liked a small knife design they had several examples of. They are all bent inward. I'd like to see a modern iteration of this, but I'm not sure of the use. Cutting grasses? Mostly pull cuts I suppose?
DaNbpVi.jpg

XrRyh4I.jpg

VIt82qZ.jpg

Today's our last day. Nothing much planned, we'll see. Thanks for looking guys.

Edit: daizee daizee those are super nice man!

Wow!

I’ve been on a modern traditional kick lately. I’m really loving some of the stuff coming out of Maniago, Italy right now. Here’s some modern takes on classical designs...
4nv9z1y.jpg

Nice lineup!

Rules are being tightened again tomorrow so I went out today and yesterday for some fossil hunting. Good times again. The stuff from today is fragile so I took home the layer, but found one tooth at the spot. Will have to screenwash the 300 kg later at home to see what I found. At the first spot we sifted the material right then and there.

KeoJyp6.jpg

QCWugvQ.jpg

Site 2
zYNY25h.jpg

KZrySpt.jpg

rjWrONz.jpg

Edit: as it was found in the test we did with the sieve.
SuFJUCF.jpg

Last edited:

4nv9z1y.jpg

I'm really craving an Otnat, I thought I could satiate my desire by buying the Thrill and the Thrill's a great knife, but I still can't stop wanting an Otnat and your pictures aren't helping.

I'm really craving an Otnat, I thought I could satiate my desire by buying the Thrill and the Thrill's a great knife, but I still can't stop wanting an Otnat and your pictures aren't helping.
I love it. Couldn’t be happier with the ram’s horn scales. :thumbsup:

Gonna check the Thrill out now. Thanks! :)

I love it. Couldn’t be happier with the ram’s horn scales. :thumbsup:

Gonna check the Thrill out now. Thanks! :)

The Thrill is the least traditional traditional knife I've ever come across, it has the essence of a modern folder with the design features of a traditional. Aluminum integral handle and a stainless supersteel blade, but in a slipjoint with a nail-nick opening. It both has and doesn't have a pocket clip, which even further muddies the water.

Worth a purchase just because of it's uniqueness, but it's a capable and well-refined folder as well.

I need to snap a picture of my modern traditionals maybe I can find time this weekend. I have a couple Otnats in Ram Horn they feel better in my hand than some smaller scales. I tend to prefer carbon steel on my traditionals but the M390 holds a great edge once you put one on it so there is a trade off. Have Swayback in Stag and some Olive wood Lionsteels that I really like too. I'll get a photo to post sometime soon.

Last edited:
Rules are being tightened again tomorrow so I went out today and yesterday for some fossil hunting. Good times again. The stuff from today is fragile so I took home the layer, but found one tooth at the spot. Will have to screenwash the 300 kg later at home to see what I found. At the first spot we sifted the material right then and there.

KeoJyp6.jpg

QCWugvQ.jpg

Site 2
zYNY25h.jpg

KZrySpt.jpg

rjWrONz.jpg

SuFJUCF.jpg
So cool. What’s the age of layers again?

So cool. What’s the age of layers again?

The black teeth are from a relatively young deposit, they're Tortoniaan (Late Miocene) in age, spanning 11.6-7.2 million years ago and the other deposit with the orange rooted teeth is Selandian (Middle Paleocene) in age, ranging from 61.6-59.2 million years ago. The distance between both localities is approx 50km.

KeoJyp6.jpg

QCWugvQ.jpg

Site 2
zYNY25h.jpg

KZrySpt.jpg

rjWrONz.jpg

SuFJUCF.jpg

Very cool, looks like a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back