• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Non members beware

Welcome back Doug Kost. Like others have said if your looking solely to buy or sell knives then there are many other places for that but if you're passionate about the whole (Knife Game) then you have come to the right place. Stick around a while and toss some posts up and join in some of the many interesting discussions that go on here 24/7 and build a little street cred and good things will follow. Just remember sellers can sell to who they wish and if you post something inflammatory then their most likely will be some backlash so you need to be a little thick skinned and learn from the expiance. That said, stick around and post some pics of the knives you like or have questions about because everyone loves pictures;):thumbsup:

As a new guy here, this doesn't bother me. I'm a member on other forums and it goes like said several times above. Once you're part of the community by participating and contributing, doors seem to open up. I see the exchange here just like the classifieds at another forum I frequent, they are a perk to being part of the "family".

I'm completely disappointed in this group. The members on here seem to only deal with other members. If this is a closed group you should make it a closed group. Non-members are treated rudely and with disregard so why would someone want to become a member.

Sadly, I'm forced to agree. As we can see in this thread, there's tons of people jumping to the defense of the overall forum membership. IMO these people are either in denial of this reality or just seeing what they want to see. I've been reading BF for years now, and while most (remember, 'most' can mean as little as 51% of the whole) of the forum membership appears courteous and mature, there IS a sizable portion of the forum membership that routinely exhibits behaviors ranging from general rudeness to downright juvenile and insulting.

And for anyone that doubts it, all one has to do is take a brief tour thru the threads contained in the 'whine & cheese' subcategory of these forums and they can read how many of these *courteous and polite people* REALLY feel when it comes to newer members or basically, just anyone they don't like in general. And as can be often seen, many short and / or rude comments spill over from W&C into the general forums. And it seems that, depending on who made the comments, they can do so w/ impunity.

Bladeforums does have it's positive points, first that comes to mind is the absolute wealth of information and knowledge on the subject of cutlery. Which is pretty much the ONLY reason I keep coming coming back.

Because of the overall rudeness of many in the BF community, sadly I don't think I could ever recommend that new members start threads on anything here. If I was to recommend BF to anyone (and in the past, yes I have) it would be STRICTLY on the premise of the wealth of archived knowledge on the site and NOT to post questions or start threads to be responded to by courteous and helpful people. Because the truth is, while those people may be the majority, that majority is just not MAJOR enough for me.

It pains me that I can't give BF higher marks because there is lots of knowledgable and courteous people on this site. But unfortunately, the disproportionately large amount of adult children on here spoil it for the whole. :(

Sadly, I'm forced to agree. As we can see in this thread, there's tons of people jumping to the defense of the overall forum membership. IMO these people are either in denial of this reality or just seeing what they want to see. I've been reading BF for years now, and while most (remember, 'most' can mean as little as 51% of the whole) of the forum membership appears courteous and mature, there IS a sizable portion of the forum membership that routinely exhibits behaviors ranging from general rudeness to downright juvenile and insulting.

And for anyone that doubts it, all one has to do is take a brief tour thru the threads contained in the 'whine & cheese' subcategory of these forums and they can read how many of these *courteous and polite people* REALLY feel when it comes to newer members or basically, just anyone they don't like in general. And as can be often seen, many short and / or rude comments spill over from W&C into the general forums. And it seems that, depending on who made the comments, they can do so w/ impunity.

Bladeforums does have it's positive points, first that comes to mind is the absolute wealth of information and knowledge on the subject of cutlery. Which is pretty much the ONLY reason I keep coming coming back.

Because of the overall rudeness of many in the BF community, sadly I don't think I could ever recommend that new members start threads on anything here. If I was to recommend BF to anyone (and in the past, yes I have) it would be STRICTLY on the premise of the wealth of archived knowledge on the site and NOT to post questions or start threads to be responded to by courteous and helpful people. Because the truth is, while those people may be the majority, that majority is just not MAJOR enough for me.

It pains me that I can't give BF higher marks because there is lots of knowledgable and courteous people on this site. But unfortunately, the disproportionately large amount of adult children on here spoil it for the whole. :(
What does this have to do with the topic of buying?

What does this have to do with the topic of buying?

"I'm completely disappointed in this group. The members on here seem to only deal with other members. If this is a closed group you should make it a closed group. Non-members are treated rudely and with disregard so why would someone want to become a member."

IMO, this comment can be interpreted in more than one way, and even if it is directly referring to buying or selling, what I said STILL has relevance. Even where interactions between buyers and sellers on here are concerned.

Were you genuinely curious Craytab? Or were you just trolling out of boredom?

"I'm completely disappointed in this group. The members on here seem to only deal with other members. If this is a closed group you should make it a closed group. Non-members are treated rudely and with disregard so why would someone want to become a member."

IMO, this comment can be interpreted in more than one way, and even if it is directly referring to buying or selling, what I said STILL has relevance. Even where interactions between buyers and sellers on here are concerned.

Were you genuinely curious Craytab? Or were you just trolling out of boredom?
I think if you read the thread you will see the topic is not what you want to discuss. Perhaps your concerns unrelated to buying and selling would better be addressed to a mod or in the tech support forum.

You know what's awesome? When people start spouting complete garbage opinions, and then sprinkle that trash with statements like "Well, the truth is..." No, these are your opinions only, and not only that, they aren't even factually correct. Newer members start threads in the General Knife Discussion section all the time, every day, and odd, they aren't treated rudely. How about that? So, I have to ask, which banned member are you? What was your original username? Because that's what this post sure reads like, someone who acted out, and got the Banhammer right in his face.

Bladeforums is going to be just fine with or without your "higher marks".

Excellent post except for the quoted text below. One should never advise the use of f&f for the purchase of goods. Especially to a newcomer.

"If the seller is an established member offer to pay via f&f to set their mind at ease (and save them a few bucks) since that eliminates the chance of a chargeback. They still may decline but it's worth a shot and doesn't cost you anything."

Great post otherwise.

Yeah it doesn’t cost you anything unless you get scammed by the seller lol.

Also the act of paying ff for a purchase is scamming paypal.

I certainly wouldn't sell to the OP after reading this thread. :/ That would be just looking for trouble.

I feel like this thread belongs in Whine and Cheese.

there IS a sizable portion of the forum membership that routinely exhibits behaviors ranging from general rudeness to downright juvenile and insulting.

With a sampling as large as the BF membership, you are going to have a wide range of backgrounds and personalities. Some are going to be more tolerant than others and some rather blunt in their replies. Even those that are usually very tolerant are going to have a bad day, just get fed up with someone or get carried away-some to the point of getting banned. These things happen, but like news people tend to remember the bad and forget all the good. There are many helpful people here and even those that go off once in awhile contribute a lot other times. New members are just that, and often make mistakes, be it sales forums, posts or creating threads. They often don't grasp proper procedure or think before writing( choosing the right words can be the difference between a polite answer or a negative response). Take this thread for example-the op was already digging a hole for himself just by the title.
I don't think this is a major problem, but maybe I an just a glass 1/2 full rather than 1/2 empty type

Last edited:
If folks would read more and post less, none of these problems would exist. Read more, get a feel for the forum you are in and don't inject yourself into a thread as a know-it-all. Gotta be thick-skinned around Bladeforums sometimes. Good folks here that are very knowledgeable on knives. Assimilation is key here!

With a sampling as large as the BF membership, you are going to have a wide range of backgrounds and personalities. Some are going to be more tolerant than others and some rather blunt in their replies. Even those that are usually very tolerant are going to have a bad day, just get fed up with someone or get carried away-some to the point of getting banned. These things happen, but like news people tend to remember the bad and forget all the good. There are many helpful people here and even those that go off once in awhile contribute a lot other times. New members are just that, and often make mistakes, be it sales forums, posts or creating threads. They often don't grasp proper procedure or think before writing( choosing the right words can be the difference between a polite answer or a negative response). Take this thread for example-the op was already digging a hole for himself just by the title.
I don't think this is a major problem, but maybe I an just a glass 1/2 full rather than 1/2 empty type
New Peter's not here.

All due respect, I think you're confusing a "difference of opinion" with "denial". I also think the fact that "tons of people jumping to the defense of the forum" actually reinforces our opinion on that the forums are for the most part a positive place. If it weren't, it would have died years ago and not have grown to be the biggest knife forum on the planet.

Now you are correct in that the forum is not all sunshine and roses and that there is rudeness/trolling that occurs, this is the internet after all. I don't even think anyone would actually dispute that, I just think you're blowing it way out of proportion.

Also, please think about this. One's demeanor and attitude has a great affect on how they perceive the forums.
Here's a generic example of what I mean:
If you've been here long enough, you will see a few threads each month of a new person asking about the value/info of their knife while they lack the proper membership. Members will then point them to the rules and let them know they need Gold or higher to ask values. This will generally elicit one of a few responses.
1. They say thank you and either drop the valuation question or pony up for the proper membership.
2. They whine about how unfair that is, melt down about it and then probably leave.
The folks in category 1 would probably say that the forum was fairly helpful. The folks in category 2 would generally say that this forum is elitist, a scam, has a hive mentality, an insiders club, or whatever. Same situation, yet two different outcomes due to perspective/personality. Who is correct?

The OP had two business deals that could have went better for him and with that, formulated his opinion and blasted his perceived negative nature about the forums as a whole. If you believe that is a fair assessment, then that is your prerogative. I for one think that it is a faulty leap in logic stemming from a salty buyer. YMMV

I've been here less than a year. I've bought a lot of knives, I think my first purchase happened when I had a post count of 5. I've never had a problem, and never even had an annoyance that I can remember, either in the Exchange or in the general population.

The thread you're complaining about, your email address isn't there. Did you edit it? Your email address does appear in at least one other thread. Most of your posts here look like tire kicking on sale threads, maybe sellers are being cautious. It might be that some positive participation in other areas of the forum would help your cause.

I read a lot of the For Sale threads. Some potential buyers seem to make a lot of work for sellers, and it also seems that most sellers bend over backwards to try to figure things out. Those guys are posting because they want to sell their stuff, not because they want to make some kind of social commentary. If two out of three deals didn't go well, it seems that you ought to look at what you're doing rather than blaming the whole membership here for your troubles. If problems were as widespread as you are suggesting, there wouldn't be a busy Exchange area here.

Plus, it's great to support the forums that provide an avenue for you to share your experiences. It's not expensive at all to buy a Basic membership, or even a Gold one for that matter.

All due respect, I think you're confusing a "difference of opinion" with "denial". I also think the fact that "tons of people jumping to the defense of the forum" actually reinforces our opinion on that the forums are for the most part a positive place. If it weren't, it would have died years ago and not have grown to be the biggest knife forum on the planet.

Now you are correct in that the forum is not all sunshine and roses and that there is rudeness/trolling that occurs, this is the internet after all. I don't even think anyone would actually dispute that, I just think you're blowing it way out of proportion.

Also, please think about this. One's demeanor and attitude has a great affect on how they perceive the forums.
Here's a generic example of what I mean:
If you've been here long enough, you will see a few threads each month of a new person asking about the value/info of their knife while they lack the proper membership. Members will then point them to the rules and let them know they need Gold or higher to ask values. This will generally elicit one of a few responses.
1. They say thank you and either drop the valuation question or pony up for the proper membership.
2. They whine about how unfair that is, melt down about it and then probably leave.
The folks in category 1 would probably say that the forum was fairly helpful. The folks in category 2 would generally say that this forum is elitist, a scam, has a hive mentality, an insiders club, or whatever. Same situation, yet two different outcomes due to perspective/personality. Who is correct?

The OP had two business deals that could have went better for him and with that, formulated his opinion and blasted his perceived negative nature about the forums as a whole. If you believe that is a fair assessment, then that is your prerogative. I for one think that it is a faulty leap in logic stemming from a salty buyer. YMMV
If you want Pete to hear you you'll have to talk a lot louder than that.

If you want Pete to hear you you'll have to talk a lot louder than that.

IS THIS ANY BETTER????;):D

For those that have not seen, Mr. Peter Mandrake was just banned for being a returning troll. As I said before, one's demeanor and attitude will impact their opinion, case in point. :rolleyes::D

Oh, and he'll be back.

Last edited:

Judging a knife-themed forum by the contents of one specifically off-topic (read: not knife-themed) subforum, a subforum that has different censorship rules and allowed topic than the entire rest of the forum, is misguided and will not result in anywhere close to a real representation of what this site contains. If you see content in any other part of the forum that you think does not belong there feel free to report it to the moderators, unlike what you may think the moderators are as neutral as members of this forum can get and show no bias towards any group of members on the forums.

As for asking questions and starting threads, there are ever so many threads on this forum that almost every question a new member could ask has already been asked time and time again, and all it takes is some reading of older threads to find answers to most every question one might have on knives. Starting new threads to ask questions is not what a new member's purpose should be, and in my opinion shows a rather lazy attitude towards this forum and the content it holds. Read before you post, and ignore the subforums you don't like, and I see very little that could create a negative experience on this forum.

Back