• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Nutnfancy Sebenza Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question: What is owning a Sebenza all about?

I've owned a lot of high end production and custom knives, and I've handled Sebenzas but I've never owned one.
What is it that makes owning a Sebenza special?

I'm comparing to higher end stuff not cheaper production knives.

I moved this thread out of the General knife discussion forum because the topic of thread was the reviewer. Now you want to talk about knives. :p

It's a valid question so feel free to start a thread in the General forum or even the CRK forum and I'm sure you'll get a lot of passionate responses.

I'd rather listen to 50+ minutes of Nutnfancy than the political mess anyday regardless of his opinion on the sebenza.

I suppose that he is balanced by jdavis883 videos. He particularly loves Sebbies, and had many good things to say about the HEST 2.0. Also pretty decent on sharpening stuff. Many good helpful videos; doesn't do as well when he tries to philosophize. He tends to chase favorites; buys multiples of the same model, then abandons them abruptly. He just got married, new city, new job, so that might explain it.
Sonny

I stopped watching his reviews when he said the ESEE 1095 was bad for a survival knife since it wasn't stainless. I can't stand his booth reviews since he doesn't let the damn rep speak for more than 30 seconds without chiming in.

Its a knife review of a knife guys knife by a non-knife guy. While his videos may be unbearably long, his knife reviews really lack any depth and are coarse and shallow at best.

I liked his review. I get tired of hearing how "perfect and buttery smooth" they are. He definatly looks at knives from a user perspective. I don't agree with everything he said, but it's good to hear from somebody that's not all gaga over it.

I can't see where a Nutnfancy review makes a difference. His audience is not Sebenza buyers. He calls a Griptillian an expensive knife, so no one should be surprised that he can't wrap his mind around a Sebenza. I also say that as a former Sebenza owner, I really loved mine, but there is no way on earth I actually needed a knife that expensive.
People buy Sebenzas because they are good, and because owners love the cratmanship and cachet that comes with owning such a knife. If you are prepared to spend $400+ on a knife, be prepared to not have the great majority of people understand what you did.

I watched the first 4 minutes. The sebenza is not a "tactical" folder. To nutn, everything has to be able pry, chop, and defend. Everything is tactical for nutn. I did not like the vid very much

I watched to whole thing start to finish, out of pure curiosity. It looked like a pretty straight forward review, covering a lot of ground and comparisons with nothing really very far from just objective critique. I think from the standpoint of someone actually looking to buy he had some very useable information to consider. ......and no, I do not think the Sebenza is a "tactical" folder.

Paul

I kind of agreed with him on this review. Great knife, but for over $400 there are better options. Always thought the Sebenza was kind of plain and boring IMHO, now the Umnumzaan, that's purdy.

I couldnt think of 50 minutes worth of stuff to say if I were reviewing any knife, even if it were the Roman sword used to pierce the side of Jesus Christ himself!

I couldnt think of 50 minutes worth of stuff to say if I were reviewing any knife, even if it were the Roman sword used to pierce the side of Jesus Christ himself!

This. Fetch that man an editor. 50 minutes that could've been handled in ten.

I watched to whole thing start to finish, out of pure curiosity. It looked like a pretty straight forward review, covering a lot of ground and comparisons with nothing really very far from just objective critique. I think from the standpoint of someone actually looking to buy he had some very useable information to consider. ......and no, I do not think the Sebenza is a "tactical" folder.

Paul

I agree Paul - besides him calling the Sebenza a "tactical folder" I didn't think much of what Nutn said was too far off base. There were a few areas I didn't 100% agree though.

He was critical of the speed of the Sebenza. My guess is his sponsor BladeHQ provided him the knife to review, and he has to send it back. So I doubt he opened and closed it all that much. My point here is he may not have had the opportunity to properly break in the knife (again, speculating here). I've been guilty of this myself. His reply to this point might likely be "should I have to break in a $400+ knife?" I won't go there.

I've had a Large Sebenza 21 in my rotation for a couple of months now and am surprised how much I like it.

I sat through the whole review, and I feel that Nutnfancy was fair by his standards. I do not think that he was out to put down the knife, he put the Sebenza in the overall context if how he sees knives. I think his points about marketing and pricing are fair too. People do gravitate towards expensive things and assume they are better.

My biggest problem with his review of the Sebenza is that he did not do adequate research. If he did, he would know tha Sebenza is not designed to be flicked. I do believe that Chris Reeve sought to make the knife harder to flick for legal reasons. I also was very annoyed by him constantly calling the knife tactical. First, I don't think tactical means weapon, second, Reeve designed the Sebenza as a utility and hunting knife. When Nutnfancy said he could not imagine using a Sebenza for hunting, I was shocked. The whole point of that clean, open back design and the provision of tools to disassemble the knife is because it is meant to be used for hunting, so it is easy to clean!

I knew to avoid watching when I saw the name Nutnfancy.

I don't need others to tell me what my opinion should be.
I have enough opinions for at least 5 people.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back