Nutnfancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the OP, just watch his material and decide for yourself, who cares what us monkeys think.:D

I have watched one video of Nutfancy ... He attempted to chop a branch useing a large splitting axe ... He did not know how to use an axe, and did not know that he had a splitting axe in his hand ... He then spent the rest of the video dissing the use of an axe as a good outdoor tool

One video of Nutfancy was enough for me

Hahaha - you should've watched TWO vids, and maybe then you would have realized that the entire point of that vid was to demonstrate that, while you need 2 or 3 different types of axes to perform 2 or 3 different tasks, you can essentially do those same 2 or 3 tasks with one good large fixed blade knife. And, because his scenario is typically a backpacking trip (meaning that you have to carry the weight!), carrying ONE large fixed blade knife makes a whole lot more sense than carrying 2 or 3 axes.

But thank you for proving the point that I made in my first post - that point being that most people who "don't like" Nutn' haven't watched enough of his vids to know what they're talking about.

Hahaha - you should've watched TWO vids, and maybe then you would have realized that the entire point of that vid was to demonstrate that, while you need 2 or 3 different types of axes to perform 2 or 3 different tasks, you can essentially do those same 2 or 3 tasks with one good large fixed blade knife. And, because his scenario is typically a backpacking trip (meaning that you have to carry the weight!), carrying ONE large fixed blade knife makes a whole lot more sense than carrying 2 or 3 axes.

But thank you for proving the point that I made in my first post - that point being that most people who "don't like" Nutn' haven't watched enough of his vids to know what they're talking about.

+1 if I'm the kind of person who posts on blade forums as well as the kind who will watch a 50 minute YouTube video on proper sharpening technique. With nutnfancy he takes the time to really dog in and explain the spirit of the gear which is important. I know there's a place for condensed reviews but I think it's important to challenge yourself to be bored and hear the whole message through sometimes. I don't agree with most of his political beliefs at all but I can respect them and will actively watch them sometimes because he takes the time to express well thought out opinions. This the same reason I'm into the forums, to gain a deeper understanding of all things blade

Not a fan of his video's as he's way too opinionated in his reviews for my taste and not enough on the factual. At times it feels like I am watching a child do a knife review. Though he does seem to eventually show all angles of a knife and eventually point out some things that other reviewers don't point out, it's just a matter of patience through his video to see that. Overall I dislike his videos as they seem way to opinionated and childish a lot of times.

I could never understand why all the hate for nutn. He's never done anything to wrong the knife community. And opn top of everything he puts a lot of effort into his reviews so you as the viewer can get the best possible description and details of a knife before buying. If you don't like his videos don't watch them. However there is no need to mouth off about him because all he has ever done for the knife community is good.

There is one negative thing I will say about him though. Ever since he got his Nissan 350z modified for track and racing use and ever since he bought his motorcycles he has kind of turned into kind of a bit of a pretentious prick. I remember there was one video he made where he was bragging about his supped up 350z and claiming how it could "kill a Corvette".

I don't have a problem with him, I watch the videos of his I like (Alox Cadet) and ignore the ones I don't care to watch (a 50 minute Sebenza review? Ridic).

I enjoy his gear and knife reviews, even if they are a bit long at times. My main complaint is more of his political videos being pretty out there. The whole "King Obama is a Nazi Communist" kinda thing usually but I generally just ignore them.

...but I do think he has some good points and he gives an honest review to the best of his ability.

The reason people think he's a tool is because he gives opinions ABOVE his ability. You can't say an axe sucks when you don't know how to use one. The guy doesn't even know how to limb a tree properly. No offense to you but the vast majority of the people who say they like him are people I've found to be just as inexperienced. If you just want to see a guy using a knife I guess his vids are okay. Definitely leave the sound off though. :D

He's operating at a level of information lower than what I seek out, and it's pretty rare that I ever get anything out of the 45 minute videos he puts up.

I have this opinion. I used to find him annoying, then spent some time watching his videos and started finding his quirks amusing. However, I still don't get a lot for the amount of time spent and rarely find myself seeking his videos out.

Plus he does have 20 years of military service under his belt (can't say anything bad about that).

Military service means squat when it comes to woodsmans skills. Why the two are even lumped together boggles my mind.

I've seen a few. If I think one may have something to offer me I may well watch another. That'd probably be about the 6th.

I don't care for his delivery style. All that sheep dog and sheep crap. He gets away with that on tinternet but in meatspace I think those sorts of people are commonly known as “losers”. Matters not, I download and fast forward.

I think the way he evaluates a knife is different from how I do. Even if we were to agree on the outcome it could well be through such totally different routes as to be meaningless. A stopped clock is right twice a day and all that.

My jury is still out on whether his willingness to say something a lot of other people wont like is an admirable trait, combined with the courage of his convictions, or just that when someone has a following like he does it is comparatively only a few irritated people on a knife forum and is easily overlooked. That would be less noble. [I'm thinking of a knife I particular I wish I could remember the name of. He declared it as good as X for a tiny fraction of the price. There were a lot of little feet all stamping when he did that – He's a blah, and everybody knows Asian knives are fake]. At the moment I'm playing a generous move and holding that he just wanted to make observation statements about a knife as a knife devoid of any of the extraneous political / ideological lickspittle. I do that. A knife is just an object. I don't care if aliens beamed it here or cloned it. If I judge a knife it is as a knife, not as a bucket, something to wear, or as a political cudgel. I hope I haven't misjudged him here.

A best case scenario went like this: I was kinda interested in the Spyderco Temperance 2. His video gave me a fairly good look at it. I don't really care what he does or doesn't do with it so I can filter all that out. He does get a lot of knives in hand so his opinion that it was well overpriced compared to other offerings in VG10 is probably worth an eyebrow raise. Cool.

Some confuse a person's lack of interest in the OP videos and others with "hate". I am simply not interested in what his videos show, or his persona or his opinions. There is no emotion involved whatsoever. I generally have no use for most youtube reviewers or their reviews. And yes, I have watched a couple of his videos. And virtuovoice too. I have no interest in watching more of them. Carry on.

Sir
I saw the video a couple of times and at no time did he suggest you need a second axe
I watched without any opinion on the gentleman in question, but viewed such an unfortunate mixing of fact and fiction
Therefore one video is enough to make an educated decision

I enjoy watching his reviews. At least the guy actually used a lot of the things he's talking about. A lot of reviewers unbox the package, open and close it a couple times and go right on reviewing it... maybe they'll cut some paper and that's it.

I don't mindlessly buy whatever he recommends, but his videos helped me to develop my own taste. Usually I have a good idea of whether I want something or not after I see his review... and that is what makes a good reviewer to me.

I also like watching some of his philosophy vids too. He has some great insight on things. His political videos are something I avoid however. Don't really agree or care about what he has to say in those at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back