Nutnfancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's operating at a level of information lower than what I seek out, and it's pretty rare that I ever get anything out of the 45 minute videos he puts up.

Smartest thing I've ever seen written about the guy. I will give him credit for the high res shots & in hand close ups of a few knives I've researched though.

He's a big goofy dude, and he's the first to admit it - you gotta give him that, and I can respect that. And he was one of the first guys out there doing actual vids (instead of just shooting his mouth off on some forum) about what he does, why he does it, and what works or doesn't work. Plus he does have 20 years of military service under his belt (can't say anything bad about that).

He has done a ton of actual outdoor testing of gear for one primary purpose - to provide viewers with data points (unlike many of these wannabe's on YT who do "reviews" but you NEVER see them outside actually using the products they are reviewing - that is lame). What you do with the data points Nutn' provides is up to you.

I think most people who don't like him haven't watched enough to know why they don't like him. The same paradox applies to Rush Limbaugh - most people who tell you they hate him have NEVER even listed to his show. My bottom line is this: when it comes to any YouTuber - if they provide information from a first-hand demonstration about something I'm interested in learning about, then I'll check out their vids. Then, I decide for MYSELF if the information is useful to ME. That's what YT is supposed to be for anyway. Well, that and stupid cat vids... Hehehe....

Btw, I'm not a fan-boy, but I can tell you one thing for sure... "The Owl is on the Shed."

This about sums it up for me as well. IDC what people say, I like him.

Triple owl checking in!

I never watched enough videos to understand what "The Nutnfancy Project" means. Anybody have an explanation?

I've watched a couple dozen of his videos. It's funny to me that, of the numerous guns and knives I bought before ever watching him, he reviewed and liked most of them. I'm more than a little envious that he can go out in the wilderness and really "cut loose" with the same gear that I can only use in my back yard or at a range. Although I've never bought something because Nutnfancy gave it a glowing review, I have passed on a couple of things after seeing them get an especially bad review from him or outright fail in one of his videos.

I know enough military veterans to recognize that their training doesn't equate to expertise with all gear or all techniques, but it sure beats seeing a couple of disembodied hands tearing into a FedEx package, pulling out a knife and then fondling it in front of a camera while reciting specs that any doofus could look up online. That's as useful to me as being stuck in a meeting where someone is reading word-for-word off of a PowerPoint slideshow. Nutn at least states up front if he hasn't put something through all the paces, and on the other end of the spectrum, doesn't put everything through ridiculous torture tests that have no basis in reality.

Yes, he is long-winded and opinionated, and his philosophical/political vids certainly aren't for everyone, but for me, it's all about gaining perspective.

From the few video's I've seen, he's not bad...fairly well spoken, sort of a 'common man' position, decent video skills/equipment, none of his opinions I've heard are too far out there, military veteran, etc. He does actually seem to spend a fair amount of time on legit T&E efforts, has respectable shooting skills, and has somewhat standardized his talking points in a cognizant fashion. He's far more credible than a lot of half-wits out there video-documenting their less than well-grounded opinions. He has over the years amassed a fairly good base of knowledge/experience on which to base his opinions.

Druthers...his arbitrary 'standards' such as the weight on a folder. The difference in an ounce or three doesn't matter much to me...if you starting pounds, ok, but otherwise, kind of non-issue for me.
That and a lot of his vids show him in roll-out/load bearing gear, etc. OK if you're addressing the preppers and LEO/MIL folks, but not very practical for most other folks.

Other topics, such as sort of avoiding the custom side of blade things, is spot on for the vast majority of folks...while there are a lot of folks concentrated on this forum that have no problem dropping 3-4 figures on a blade (and I'm one of them--I've got a three figure ZT in my pocket as I write this), we're but a sliver of the knife owning population. Most folks aren't going to spend much more than your average spyderco/benchmade on a EDC knife. Just the way it is, so if he doesn't spend a lot of time on custom cutlery, its because its not a large portion of his audience.

So, I don't watch tons of his stuff, but from what I've seen, he's decent. I'm sure his detractors are quiet envious of what he's managed to do.

BOSS

I've got no problem with the guy not wanting to get into testing and reviewing custom made blades. How many of us would really want to take a handmade damascus steel bowie knife out into the field and test it by batoning through logs or cutting down a tree?

He's just a toy nut like the rest of us that has enough time to devote to what he loves. I think it's funny to see so many people giving him slack. His videos give his opinions, nothing more just like ANYONE who does a review. I find allot of his stuff informative and I've been a firearms instructor for close to 20 years.
To the folks who give him slack - The minute you think you know everything, your mind closes; EVERYONE can teach you something.

Some confuse a person's lack of interest in the OP videos and others with "hate". I am simply not interested in what his videos show, or his persona or his opinions. There is no emotion involved whatsoever. I generally have no use for most youtube reviewers or their reviews. And yes, I have watched a couple of his videos. And virtuovoice too. I have no interest in watching more of them. Carry on.

Precisely.
smileycoffeed.gif

I don't get any hate for the guy. If I don't like someone's vids, I just don't watch 'em, problem solved. I find his reviews interesting enough that I occasionally watch them, especially if he's comparing and contrasting. His multi-tool comparisons are handy. Plus he's complimented my work, so I can't really dislike him :)

That said...

Hahaha - you should've watched TWO vids, and maybe then you would have realized that the entire point of that vid was to demonstrate that, while you need 2 or 3 different types of axes to perform 2 or 3 different tasks, you can essentially do those same 2 or 3 tasks with one good large fixed blade knife. And, because his scenario is typically a backpacking trip (meaning that you have to carry the weight!), carrying ONE large fixed blade knife makes a whole lot more sense than carrying 2 or 3 axes.

But thank you for proving the point that I made in my first post - that point being that most people who "don't like" Nutn' haven't watched enough of his vids to know what they're talking about.

... neeman and Shotgun are correct. Not hating in any way and it's highly likely that his knowledge has improved since the vid in question. In that vid though, it's very clear that he knew nothing about axes or how to use one.

A) As neeman pointed out, he was using a splitting axe. This isn't a matter of a "one axe solution", it's just a mistake due to a lack of knowledge. An axe designed for chopping will still out split any knife made by leaps and bounds, so the idea of a big knife doing what you'd need 2 or 3 axes to do just doesn't make sense. The only reason one would use a splitting axe (even one with as slim a profile as the Fiskars) as an example of a general woods axe (especially for chopping) is that they don't know any better. Given some axes are made to do specific things well, but that applies even more to knives.

B) Comparing a big knife to an axe doesn't make sense to begin with. You can compare a big knife with a hatchet or hawk and maybe draw the conclusion that the knife can kinda replace them (though I'd beg to differ), but not a 3/4 or full size axe. They just aren't comparable tools.

C) His technique alone shows that he didn't know how to use an axe in that particular vid. He's beating on that branch like he's mad at it, he's exhausted when he gets done, and he's a safety hazard to himself. No flow, no rhythm, absolutely no control. Just trying to pound it apart. An axe isn't a club and using one isn't meant to be a test of how hard you can swing it into something.

"Dude this blade has *SICK* jimping. This is totally my new tactical carry. The WRO on this TPD is a full 12/10 and I DIG the awesome steel that they put on this. Epic!"

NutNFancy manages to say in 20 to 25 paragraphs what anyone else could say in one succinct sentence.

That sums NutnFancy up perfectly. His longwindedness, which he's not outgrown and has actually gotten worse with endless repetition, is a huge waste of the viewer's time.
Nutnfancy requires 45 minutes to say what could be said well and thoroughly in 3 minutes or less.

I don't hate him. If you have hours and hours of time to burn and unlimited patience (Unemployed? incarcerated? In high school?) there are eventually some nuggets of actual manufacturer's website specs embedded deep, like last winter's buried squirrel's nuts, somewhere in his loooooong reviews.

Really, the worst thing about NutnFancy's reviews is they have been adopted as a model template by other youTube would-be reviewers, even more simpleminded and longwinded. Guys who make NnF look like Albert Einstein.

So now, thanks to NutnFancy, there are a million guys in badly lit basements who think 45 minutes is the bare minimum of time a viewer should expect to spend to see what should be a 60 second tabletop show-n-tell of a $10 product.

His longwindedness, which he's not outgrown and has actually gotten worse with endless repetition, is a huge waste of the viewer's time.
Nutnfancy requires 45 minutes to say what could be said well and thoroughly in 3 minutes or less.

I don't hate him. If you have hours and hours of time to burn and unlimited patience (Unemployed? incarcerated? In high school?) there are eventually some nuggets of actual manufacturer's website specs embedded deep, like last winter's buried squirrel's nuts, somewhere in his loooooong reviews.

Really, the worst thing about NutnFancy's reviews is they have been adopted as a model template by other youTube would-be reviewers, even more simpleminded and longwinded. Guys who make NnF look like Albert Einstein.

So now, thanks to NutnFancy, there are a million guys in badly lit basements who think 45 minutes is the bare minimum of time a viewer should expect to spend to see what should be a 60 second tabletop show-n-tell of a $10 product.

For the win.
smileycoffeed.gif

I like nutnfancy's videos. I have only seen a few of them but the ones I have seen are ones that I chose because the topics interested me. I saw a few of his wilderness adventure style videos and they made me happy when I couldn't be in the woods myself.

EDIT: One thing to keep in mind is that not everyone can be outside near as much as they like, and some of his videos are an entertaining way to to live vicariously. He also goes to different terrain/environment than some of us live in so it is nice to see different scenery. Finally, if I had a gear company I would find a way to get gear into his hands because love him or hate him, he sells gear. Companies are about making money which means they are about selling gear. :)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with entertainment, and it's great you enjoy him. Obviously a lot of people do. He's made a niche for himself on YouTube. More power to him.

He's just not a source I would look to for accurate facts or solid information. YMMV.

He's d@mned if he does, d@mned if he doesn't. He is who he is...obviously he has a sizeable following. If you had that many subscribers, would you think you were doing something kinda right? Probably. If you were doing something kinda right, would you keep doing what you're doing or change to suit the critics? Probably keep doing what you're doing. Just sayin'.

He's not PhD in metallurgy or former Delta guy, but that's not his audience. He's mostly talking to the common man, and I wish I had the time to do what he does. Testing gear seems like it would be a dream job for many of us, if you could do cognizant written report/reviews to your employers.

Is he a bit long winded? Maybe so. There are times when I look for shorter reviews and some times, that 5 min video is better muted.

Ultimately, its just preference... either you like his presentation to some degree or you don't. Not really a wrong answer. I'm sure NTF will sleep fine if you chose not to tune in to him.

BOSS

I just gave him another try

Precise, conscise, and focused?
No...

I just watched about a cook set where he did not explain his own Philosophy of Use until 10 minutes into the video
Does he not understand his own "POU" that he cannot explain it clearly?

My take:
1. He backpacks, so is concerned about weight
2. He mainly cook freeze dried food, so he only need to boil water
3. When he goes with more than one person, he needs a one liter pot
4. Larger pots are more efficient

He's not worth reading four pages about him. That's all I'm gonna say. Don't have an opinion about him either way after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back