"Old Knives"

Thanks for the comments folks.
Jack .... thanks for the info.
s-k .... Thanks for showing that interesting stockman. I wonder what age it is ?

Here are some more from Joseph Rodgers. They have seen some service !!

RODGERSX4sm_zps3549e6c4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Adee, Wow those J R 's have seen some work, I love the knives you are showing!:thumbup:

Jack, that Pearl J R is beautiful!!! Where are you getting all these from eh? :)

SK, I always have loved Joseph Rodgers for their typical heavy stamping - their use of their Maltese Cross's etc...and of course their quality of knife - this stockman of yours has all of that - a real wonderful knife. I sent Charlie a Joseph Rodgers Etterick - that was the same with nice stamping ( not etching ) on the blades-and the use of all their symblos on each blade - but this Stockman of yours has their Maltese Crosses in big display on the blade - just pure WOW factor...thats a real honey.

Jack, that Pearl J R is beautiful!!! Where are you getting all these from eh? :)

Thanks my friend, not the real thing I'm afraid, but I do rather like it :) I've had to start searching in my sock-drawer (I'll post some more tomorrow)! :D

Those are amazing Rodgers/Sheffields! Simply beautiful...

Funny though, that knives like those are so desirable, but I find the finish on many of them to be rough. What a hundred or so years can do.

Glenn, you are right mate- but in saying that...when you pick up a Rodgers Gentlemans knife - one like the one shown back a few pages - and they have Pearl etc..you couldnt get a knife that was more skillfully and precisely made! and some of those are 120 years old!!!

Funny though, that knives like those are so desirable, but I find the finish on many of them to be rough.

Some of them ARE rough, no doubt about it Glen. That Wharncliffe of mine for example would have been a cheap knife, and the cutler who made it would have been paid a pittance. After World War 2, companies like Rodgers struggled to compete with cheaper imports from the Far East, and that was reflected in the declining quality of their knives.

Don't get me wrong, they are all awesome! There is a wide variety in the quality, but I'd gladly own any of them.

Sadly, low cost products can have an adverse effect on quality, and even drive companies out of business, like we have seen with Schrade and others.

At least we can still enjoy them, thank you for sharing them!

Thanks for the comments on the stockman. I don't know the exact answer to your question ADEE. I think it's from the 1950s.

This seems appropriate. Looks like some similar knives to yours here from the 1920s or so.

scan0013-1.jpg

Last edited:
Do you guys clean your knives to get them to look that immaculate? I can't get over how nice looking some of those really old knives are, loving the Rodgers! Here's another from my Grandfather, his old Hobo he used while he was in the boys scouts:

1382779_10152520324663590_5939351119936814577_n.jpg

10003264_10152520324728590_2014832617862213732_n.jpg

Lots of use out of this one!

That's cool Jack. What were they like?

Both my grandparents had lots of friends, relatives, and work-mates in the cutlery trade, having worked at various factories themselves, and my grandfather was always giving me knives. I had a Spearpoint with the Ebonite scales, and at least one with the pen too. I think I also had a Clip too, without the pen I think. One of them had a pair of tweezers in the covers, a bit like on a SAK, the tweezers being made of steel and brass.

The knife I remember my granddad carrying most was a Bunny Knife, also with the Ebonite covers.

None of them were anything fancy, just plain bolsters.

I'd sort of forgotten about this one, but just took a few table-top pic to assist with an explanation in another thread. Thought I'd post them here too. As you can, the pen has been broken unfortunately, and those tang-stamps... :( Nice snap on the remaining blade though :)

Must be nice to have your grandfather's Hobo Knife Luke :thumbup:

Personally, I can be a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning, minimalist you might say :eek:

Thanks again for the kind comments.

s-k ... Thanks for showing the Rodgers catalogue page. I think the era is right for the two older knives at least. They have the No 6 Norfolk St stamp. The top knife on my picture belonged to my grandad but I suspect it was not bought until the 1950s or later. The scales do not have the through pins.

LukeGeauxBoom ... another nice family item. Yes it has seen some enthusiastic use. You asked about cleaning .. yes I clean with great gusto. I can't help myself. I like them to look like they have been in a pocket over the decades and not in a garage drawer.

Jack .. Another shapely one .. Rodgers ? or have we moved on ?

Jack .. Another shapely one .. Rodgers ? or have we moved on ?

Thanks ADEE :) The Wharncliffe? Hey, you can probably read that tang-stamp better than I can! :D If I remember, I'll put it in my pocket tomorrow :thumbup:

Jack ... slow down .. I can't keep up ! Super, steel knives Jack. They look fine indeed.

Back