"Old Knives"

All great knives. The penknives are very classy. That is a fine Christopher Johnson stockman Duncan. Johnson's factory was named the Western Works so hence the name. I like the horn scales.

Thank you Steve, interesting - the knife isnt fancy by any means - but .... well hey...i just really like the knife!

Nice knives and great sentiments on this page so far. Thanks to all.

Campbellclanman ... A lovely display of fine knives [and I like the photos]. I noted too your kind hearted words. I had the pleasure of Jack's company this afternoon and he brought a present for me [yes it was sharp and pointy] ... and he bought the chips, [mind you it was his turn. I know this because I had written it down on a piece of paper !] :D Lovely stockman ... love the scales. Thanks for all that. AD.

Thank YOU Adee, hey its very easy to find nice words about nice folk :) :thumbup:, it doesnt surprise me he turned up with a gift like that - that would be Jack to a "T".

Hey Jack - nice Haul indeed! - whats the half - pan thingy? the Compass looks like a nice one - any age to it Sir?

Hey Jack - nice Haul indeed! - whats the half - pan thingy? the Compass looks like a nice one - any age to it Sir?

Thank you my friend. I think the pan thingy is some sort of ashtray, that's what the trader reckoned. It's very nicely made from copper and brass, I was thinking of using it to keep change in, or more likely giving it away to someone! :D

I'm very much enjoying researching the pocket compass as there's a huge amount of information available online. It was made by F Barker & Sons of London, 19th century, nickel silver over brass, English cross bar needle on a jewelled pivot, and crystal glass. It's also number 61 of that pattern, and that is stamped on the inside of the lid of the case, below the maker's mark. Since I was born in 1961, it's an added bonus :) A very nice find, and it was a pleasure to take it out of the hands of the misery I bought it from for £10 :) :thumbup:

Super gleanings, Jack. I've pretty much given up my local places, as they never have interesting stuff anymore. I must travel further afield. You certainly are the master at finding interesting areas, that also yield good results!

Super gleanings, Jack. I've pretty much given up my local places, as they never have interesting stuff anymore. I must travel further afield. You certainly are the master at finding interesting areas, that also yield good results!

Thanks Charlie :) I guess at least everything is pretty compact and close together here - or overcrowded! :D It was certainly a good day yesterday, I had to travel out of town, but not out of the county. I usually fill my wallet up well before I go, but yesterday I could have spent twice as much, first time I've ever run out of cash! :eek: Have to go back next week! ;) I don't think I've found anything in my local market for six months, I don't know where all the knives have gone :( Good luck my friend, you certainly have some beautiful old knives in your collection :thumbup:

A very recent addition. J Nowill & Sons looks to be circa 1930s based on the can opener. A chunky knife with three springs and lots of useful attachments.

DSC_02362_zps7a6359cf.jpg

DSC_02412_zps4d5bfc60.jpg

Wow, that's a really neat one, s-k. Any chance you could post a photo of the pile side?

Here's an unusual 'SFO' made for the Foreman's Association of one of Sheffield large engineering firms.

I had this EXACT knife about two years ago. It now resides in very good hands in NZ;):thumbup:

The one I sold was Identical to this but in original shape where this one underwent a bit of restoration:eek: I bought it this way and am glad to have it but I always look for "as is" condition that can yet be made serviceable again:thumbup:

Electric Cut Co Jack with great Bone covers Circa 1910---1920? 3 7/16 closed, SOLID blades with great walk and talk:thumbup:

3c2Bw3.jpg

evP7Jy.jpg

fSfNQ1.jpg

GtkPx8.jpg

x8Vn8i.jpg

Paul, I think I'd have to use this one if it were in my hands. Maybe that's sacrilege, but I love seeing old knives be used.

One of my favourites in this style, (of which I have a few), light as a weather and takes up barely any pocket-space :)

Christmas come early!!! Ok, here's the quick (if possible) back story. When Holiday decorations where being boxed up last year I was ill with an acute case of "Diverticulitis" DON'T WISH IT ON ANYONE!!!

Anyway several knives got mixed up and where packed away with the decorations:(

Well to my surprise, I found the box of knives the other day and here is one of them I want to show here:thumbup:

A big "THANK YOU" goes out to Mike Berkovitch as he gifted me this GREAT Schrade Cut Co Sheepfoot Jack:thumbup:

Great weathered ebony? covers that speak in their own special way, Rat Tail bolster and SHARP but a little worn solid blades:)

82FKHt.jpg

WJIgcM.jpg

9W7oAz.jpg

gAR4cR.jpg

XomqIQ.jpg

Ry2rkc.jpg

dJUedC.jpg

jekdvM.jpg

Mq3zfO.jpg

kyy6P9.jpg

Thank you again Mike, I love this old girl;):D

Paul, I think I'd have to use this one if it were in my hands. Maybe that's sacrilege, but I love seeing old knives be used.

I agree Brian---it will be carried, babied more than likely as I'll have a user in pocket as well, but still it will be used:thumbup:

Wow, absolutely lovely knife Paul, great lines and real character :thumbup:

Mike is one of the greats, as Duncan noted!

Paul, it's just a real beauty. Love the old ebony and a sheepsfoot to boot! An apple in my eye;)

Jack
Great old Eye Witness! I love that stamp:D

I am digging the Wharnie as well.

Thanks guys, Paul I am glad you found the knife, it had its rest for a year, now drop it in your pocket.
A lot of great knives everyone it the best thread in the best forum.

Mike

Back