"Old Knives"

Thanks, Jack, s-k, Gev.

How far should I go when cleaning up and oiling an old knife?

Good question. I think the answer is "It depends."
That is, if you have an antique, it's generally best to do very little. The more you alter it, the more it potentially loses value to collectors who want an antique as close to original condition as possible. I would recommend wiping it down with oil to stop any active rust. That's pretty much it. You can find some threads on this subject if you search on this forum.

On the other hand. If you have an old knife that you intend to use, I would go ahead and clean, oil, and sharpen it. I usually make a paste of baking soda and dish soap and use a soft toothbrush. Then mineral oil.

Great Keen Kutters Dan :thumbup:

I just have this Peanut now, won in Markesharp's generous giveaway a while back :)

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. Jack, that peanut is beautiful, that was a very generous giveaway.
Dan

Jack, that peanut is beautiful, that was a very generous giveaway.

Thanks a lot Dan. Yes, it certainly was. I won it just after giving my only other Keen Kutter away :)

Similar to AlexWitte's- mine is by American Cutlery, who were in Chicago. Dad glued the handle on upside down, but it still works.
This isn't easy to sharpen, despite its good old carbon steel, and I carve in the kitchen rather than at the table, but I brought it out and worked on it for the Thanksgiving turkey.
pfifb8yU

That's a lovely carver, full of old world character :thumbup:

Thanks S-K, that's another lovely knife :thumbup:

Okay, I know this isn't a knife but I ran across this display case in an antique mall recently and just had to show it with all these Keen Kutters showing up on here. Wouldn't it make a great display case for knives!
They had it discounted to about$1800.00.:eek:

Nice knives danno!! I only have 2 KK left and have to take pics of those but what about this NYK WW1 Navy knife. Etch is faint but there.

Back