"Old Knives"

Did a bit of a photo shoot today and got at least one shot of everything in my collection. Here are some of my newer "old" knives.

36800435202_8998737822_b.jpg

36800434782_ebd43a0ce6_b.jpg

36136243534_d7099a8a3b_b.jpg
Jiminy Christmas, that's a daunting task! Good on you. And those are fine photos of some fine knives.

Thanks Herder and indeed that is an awesome & unique Hatch knife :thumbsup: ... Those are some of the nicest aluminum handles I have seen in terms of a pattern design and a cool way to pop the blades open... Here is another aluminum handled knife for comparison... many companies seemed to have a design similar to this Waterville ... it makes one wonder if those aluminum handles were outsourced by the same company for many of the cutleries...

adHujyG.jpg
Interesting idea!!
I will try and get a better picture, but some of the design elements on the aluminum are similar on this Simmons Barlow - obviously aimed at a somewhat upscale market.

Aluminum Bolsters 1.jpg

Thats interesting Charlie- one of the coversations in this Thread of late was hoe the use of Aluminium was for the upmarket - so to see this early Simmons - would this be an indication that this is a very early Barlow 1920's 1930's?

I bought this Southington jack off of an older gentleman that lived in Arizona. He was carrying it so it's nice and sharp, but I struggle to get the main blade open.
EA0hDJM.jpg

Here's a Southington congress I've had for a while. It's very smooth on the opening and closing.
DkebpQE.jpg
o6clt1q.jpg
S1g1K1r.jpg

Cool Southingtons Mike - that swell center congress is awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ..

Bone on the Southington and this old Ulster has quite a resemblance.View attachment 758894 View attachment 758895

Lyle - The bone on that Southington FJ is spectacular :thumbsup: ... the color of bone and jigging is really special !!

Nice Southington, Lee, and certainly an old and interesting knife.

Enclosed is a Remington Whitter type model with nice jigged bone handles as Remington surely had. It would be interesting to know if Remington performed the complete process of their bone handles or contracted out for rough handle material which they then finished. Also enclosed is a statement from Remington from a 1930 salesman catalog which seams to imply that they completed their bone handles from start to finish???

View attachment 758874

View attachment 758875

Awesome Remington Neal - she's a real beauty :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thats interesting Charlie- one of the coversations in this Thread of late was hoe the use of Aluminium was for the upmarket - so to see this early Simmons - would this be an indication that this is a very early Barlow 1920's 1930's?
Thanks Mark and Lee!
I am not sure when exactly the decorative use of aluminum for cutlery was in its ascendancy Duncan, but that Barlow sure fits the "upmarket" designation with the nice (now used) fit and finish and high-grade Pearl. Post WWI is a good guess, but perhaps others with more knowledge will chime in.

Great Doc's Knife Stuart!

Jeff- You can never go wrong with a New York Knife Co. Knife- and thats a Grand old Beauty you have there my friend- just look at that Bone! Again another variation from NYKC with their stunning Jig work!

Great Doc's Knife Stuart!

Jeff- You can never go wrong with a New York Knife Co. Knife- and thats a Grand old Beauty you have there my friend- just look at that Bone! Again another variation from NYKC with their stunning Jig work!
Thank you. I like it a little better that the larger ones. A fun knife to carry and show to buddies.
- Stuart

8nQRaaA.jpg

nqPEhk6.jpg

xQEm2ym.jpg

LbVtQk0.jpg

Photos taken at SMKW. Had a knife museum of sorts. They had some other people's collections on display, not for sale. Really amazing knives here. This is a drop in the ocean compared to what I didn't take pictures of.
There was much on display for looking but not much information signs or anything for learning. I'd love to sit and learn the history behind these knives.
It makes me wish there was a dedicated knife museum that had a tour, going through the different exhibits talking about knives.

Boy, what I would do to get a case full of those!!!!!
Thanks for taking the time to snap the pics and sharing. I appreciate the opportunity to see these unique knives.
- Stuart

Back