"Old Knives"

Thank you everyone for the helpful comments- there's nothing like sharing possible problems / experiences with fellow collectors.
Charlie N - thank you for coming in with your wealth of experience concerning the Robeso n - very much appreciated Sir.

Jake - at Close hand the Blades have been resurfaced - leaving the nail pull at slightly uneven depths to the experienced eye thus also has left a slightly sharp edge on the Spine edge having not been finished off nicely.

Also the middle scale / Liner is mishapen - as in unevenness.

Last edited:
Back to the Scouts...
Here is yet another knife presented to me by Paul- Im sure he buys more knives for me than himself?
I keep telling him to stop- but it falls upon deaf ears!:)

Lovely Old Girl who to this day commands respect, Bone is simply stunning- Robeson Mastercraft!
Paul Thank you yet again my freind, your generosity knows no end! This Ol' Girl is a Beauty!

VVyitKE.jpg

Bhp99v3.jpg

t2bsiMq.jpg

zylnQ8V.jpg

Last edited:
HJ's....

Brantford
"Warranted Never Dull" Can I say that this would be a fairly Rare Knife on the Blade- Knife has a spring that is soooo close to Bear Trap - Man what a Knife, Ex CC.:thumbsup:

I love this Knife because...... well it's a HJ, and also the equal ender with great Rats Tailed Bolsters?, Brantford in Goins has this firm in existence from 1910 to 1930!
The Punch is kinda cool with a Chisel Grind- in other words its flat on one side - and the other side of the Punch has a nice Convex surface.
The Knife for such a nice old Knife has done very little work in it's life time- a massive improvement to my HJ collection with this new arrival!
For a 100 year old Knife this is pretty amazing - to my friend whom this came from- THANK YOU, Im taking it you knew just how good this knife was- and I want you to Know that I think that its an amazing Knife!

AEPkhmy.jpg

ebY2iq9.jpg

Fox Cutlery Co
Quite a unique frame to this lovely little HJ.
In amazing shape, I have one other Fox Cutlery HJ, and another Fox Jack, fantastic Knives!
4IzNG9Y.jpg

W8tfk7s.jpg

2VfsMpp.jpg

2kG96V5.jpg

I love the Fox etching on Fox Cutlery's Blades- This Knife has seen little action in it's lifetime!

HJ's....

Brantford
"Warranted Never Dull" Can I say that this would be a fairly Rare Knife on the Blade- Knife has a spring that is soooo close to Bear Trap - Man what a Knife, Ex CC.:thumbsup:

I love this Knife because...... well it's a HJ, and also the equal ender with great Rats Tailed Bolsters?, Brantford in Goins has this firm in existence from 1910 to 1930!
The Punch is kinda cool with a Chisel Grind- in other words its flat on one side - and the other side of the Punch has a nice Convex surface.
The Knife for such a nice old Knife has done very little work in it's life time- a massive improvement to my HJ collection with this new arrival!
For a 100 year old Knife this is pretty amazing - to my friend whom this came from- THANK YOU, Im taking it you knew just how good this knife was- and I want you to Know that I think that its an amazing Knife!

AEPkhmy.jpg

ebY2iq9.jpg

Fox Cutlery Co
Quite a unique frame to this lovely little HJ.
In amazing shape, I have one other Fox Cutlery HJ, and another Fox Jack, fantastic Knives!
4IzNG9Y.jpg

W8tfk7s.jpg

2VfsMpp.jpg

2kG96V5.jpg

I love the Fox etching on Fox Cutlery's Blades- This Knife has seen little action in it's lifetime!

More great examples Duncan!!!
But I am particularly keen on the Brantford and Fox harness jack models, both unusual and rare knives.

Awesome knives Duncan and Stuart :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... I am somewhat partial to those HJs but all great knives :) ... Duncan - the Fox Cutlery with a clip blade and punch is no doubt very cool and a beauty !

I recently posted my Empire Stabber Jack and got some photos of my Southington Stabber Jack. This Southington has a closed length of 4" and ebony handles with all metal liners, bolsters etc... long pull on a spear point, stamp is abit worn on top of curve, and blade no doubt sharpened.. funny thing is I originally thought someone "played" with the choil to make the blade look less sharpened but looking at many Southington knives it appears imo that is how other Southington blades were made in terms of a steep and well formed choil... nonetheless - well used but not abused knife with deep double swedges & still hard snapping and tight! Again I like Stabber Jacks - reminds me of jumbo Boys knives
icon_biggrin.gif

lh6KGop.jpg

3QT8GBa.jpg

FsFtq03.jpg

s1B3mhr.jpg

Cheers
Lee

Duncan, I've felt pretty good leaving a knife show with three our four knives, but you absolutely killed it!

Stuart, both are nice but I really like that physician's knife.

Lee, thanks for posting that Southington stabber jack. Love it.

Nice Southington, Lee, and certainly an old and interesting knife.

Enclosed is a Remington Whitter type model with nice jigged bone handles as Remington surely had. It would be interesting to know if Remington performed the complete process of their bone handles or contracted out for rough handle material which they then finished. Also enclosed is a statement from Remington from a 1930 salesman catalog which seams to imply that they completed their bone handles from start to finish???

View attachment 758874

View attachment 758875

I never realized the origins of jigged bone to be "bone stag" as a cheaper imitation of stag antler. To me they are each unique and wonderful handle materials!

Lee- Oh man- That big Southington is a beauty! As Paul said- LOVE those old Stamps on the Tang! They knew how to put a Swedge on a Knife in those days didnt they!

Neal
- Thank you my friend once again for the nice comments! Yes those Old HJ's just do things to a Knife Lover don't they! My friend That Remington is Spectacular - I note you described the Knife as Whittler Type- Yeah- thats a big Spey that takes it away from being an "ordinary"type of Whittler, I think that knife is a Stunner- Great Score my friend because thats a nice wee treasure there!

Mike- I did come back with a slightly heavier bag- Paul has a Knife roll chocka with Knives- most though are what I bought over with me - I suspect some new buys may be in there as well! I know I have a beautiful Big Ulster Jack in there somewhere!
I am loving that beautiful Big Old Southington Jack - just look at those Matchstrikes! Thats a neat old one- But...That Congress is one Hang of a Stunner Mike- Just Beautiful my friend! This is the Knife on the Cover of your Book? ( and page 95 ) Im sure it is - if so it truly deserves to be there my friend - Beautiful!

Paul - my friend, I was reading Mike Robucks Book GUN COLLECTORS GUIDE TO COLLECTABLE KNIVES- Great Book Mike and anyone if you dont have it- I highly recommend it...anyway Mike has a section on Bone Handles...your beautiful Wade and Butcher my friend has to be New York Knife Company's Bone .... man out of all the knives- that one stays with me as it's such an important Transitional era Knife- amazing find!
I really dont know if I am making a big fuss over something thats not all that important - but this is what Knife collecting is about having a Knife that tells a story- and a darned interesting one at that!

Jeff - thank matey, I am am pleased overall with the knives that came back with me my friend, I enjoyed seeing you on the Rendezvous Video!

Lyle - My friend- Wonderful Farmers Jacks - That Ulster is simply gorgeous

8nQRaaA.jpg

nqPEhk6.jpg

xQEm2ym.jpg

LbVtQk0.jpg

Photos taken at SMKW. Had a knife museum of sorts. They had some other people's collections on display, not for sale. Really amazing knives here. This is a drop in the ocean compared to what I didn't take pictures of.
There was much on display for looking but not much information signs or anything for learning. I'd love to sit and learn the history behind these knives.
It makes me wish there was a dedicated knife museum that had a tour, going through the different exhibits talking about knives.

Boy, what I would do to get a case full of those!!!!!

Mike, Neal & Lyle...Thank you for posting WONDERFUL and educational knives. I have favorite threads but this one is my all time favorite:cool:

Duncan, I have Mike's book (gifted to me from our friend Mark) & I agree with you in regards to the bone covers. I see influences of SCHRADE Cut Co in the knife as well. Not uncommon for those traits to carry over from such great companies. I treasure the Wade and Butcher for the exact reason you mention Duncan. An important (rare) transitional piece in really FANTASTIC condition...a HUGE Thank you Duncan:thumbsup: all yours when I pass in 30 years:D

Back