"Old Knives"

I hate to sound like a broken record but I am going to reiterate what I have said before. Just a wonderful WONDERFUL display of beautiful knives posted over the last several days. Thanks to everyone who has contributed these beautiful knives. I can confidently assume that everyone is like me and gets absolutely giddy every time they go through this thread. Please keep them coming guys. I'm all out of bullets so I'm going to have to live vicariously through you! :)

Here is a Marshall Wells Hardware Co. lock back folding hunter. It is obviously a NYKC produced folder and then branded Marshall Wells. Part of their Zenith outdoor hunting, camping and fishing lineup. I have a HSB OVB marked lock back folding hunter that is exactly like this one with the exception of the bone handle, jigging pattern and of course the markings—but again a NYKC product.

Marshall Wells Hardware Company was started in Duluth MN in 1892. It was a wholesale hardware company. Sometime around 1917 the hardware part of the company name was dropped and it became just Marshall-Wells. This lock back folder was made by NYKC probably between 1892 and 1917. I have included a page from a 1912 MW Hardware Company publication showing this exact knife third one down. The blade etch on mine is pretty much faded and worn off but under strong light and magnification it can be seen.

My example is marked MARSHALL/WELLS/HDW. CO. On the pile side tang and has the Zenith Circle trademark (sun at its daily pinnacle or zenith) with M.W.H. Co. At he bottom of the circle. Also both of the cap end bolsters have M-W engraved in a fancy script.F2EC5EA2-C5B0-43C8-82A8-01852413A491.jpeg 1FE99E2A-B84A-4285-A25F-0ADA91A9F59E.jpeg D9AAFEAB-E477-4F05-8746-7177B6DF516D.jpeg D16A0B6B-5AD0-450F-9643-B8AF3ADFCB29.jpeg C64F9572-ACD0-4601-B0A2-14468098D9EC.jpeg 429B02D7-C217-4E9E-A3AD-B7934A950110.jpeg D057F7CB-A235-4284-9703-7ECEE8A05A12.jpeg EF4542EE-FAC8-4D9A-9950-CFC64CA74A4B.jpeg DE9A670C-1C95-4E7D-B8D8-2CCA88C0D4A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Lloyd, an absolute beauty. While I have not seen many Marshall Wells knives, those I have are stellar. I have a gorgeous MOP whittler built on a 4" premium stockman frame with a punch. Great knife that I must get around to posting.

Joining in on the massive thanks to all that have posted some outright stunning Knives.
Some of our friends have absolute best of the best! The darned hard work - getting what you can within your price range - trading - slowly building in quantity or perhaps just quality.

I know only on a very small level just how much it takes to get where I am... let alone where some of our friends are - so this inspires me so much to the HUGE commitment from them to enable a collection to be of such magnificence .....,, the work, study, disappointment through expensive mistakes- forever watching out for the Con Man ...... Whew! everything that is unseen and these amazing people are here sharing with us.
Thank you everyone.

Kevin - That New York HJ is a nice one - you should post that in the Magnificent HJ thread if you can one day? New York Knife Co had something going on didn’t they my friend!

Eric Sir - That Ulster - just WOW!! Would you call that a Whittaker because of the Broadness of that Beautifully cut Blade?

What an example! Thank you Eric for sharing.

Lloyd my friend- what can I say? Man that Marshall Wells is something else!!!
Magnificent piece there my friend - everything- just everything about that big knife just Rocks.
You can see the NYK Co connection - especially mark side Jigging! Gorgeous!

Last edited:
Mike, Lyle, Charlie, Kevin, fantastic knives all of them. What a show! Charlie every time I see one of the Schrade Cut wharnnies the old heart rate goes up!
Here's an Ulster I picked up fairly recently. I think some of you may have already seen it:

View attachment 864224 View attachment 864225 View attachment 864226

Eric

What an Ulster! That blade combination is unusual, I've never seen a sleeveboard whittler with a punch. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the secondary blade is glaze finished while the master is crocus. Is that correct?

Here is a Marshall Wells Hardware Co. lock back folding hunter. It is obviously a NYKC produced folder and then branded Marshall Wells. Part of their Zenith outdoor hunting, camping and fishing lineup. I have a HSB OVB marked lock back folding hunter that is exactly like this one with the exception of the bone handle, jigging pattern and of course the markings—but again a NYKC product.

Marshall Wells Hardware Company was started in Duluth MN in 1892. It was a wholesale hardware company. Sometime around 1917 the hardware part of the company name was dropped and it became just Marshall-Wells. This lock back folder was made by NYKC probably between 1892 and 1917. I have included a page from a 1912 MW Hardware Company publication showing this exact knife third one down. The blade etch on mine is pretty much faded and worn off but under strong light and magnification it can be seen.

My example is marked MARSHALL/WELLS/HDW. CO. On the pile side tang and has the Zenith Circle trademark (sun at its daily pinnacle or zenith) with M.W.H. Co. At he bottom of the circle. Also both of the cap end bolsters have M-W engraved in a fancy script.View attachment 864681 View attachment 864680 View attachment 864679 View attachment 864675 View attachment 864674 View attachment 864673 View attachment 864672 View attachment 864671 View attachment 864670

What a grand example of a folding hunter!

That M-W is an out-and-out Killer, Lloyd!!
Makes me weep with joy!! Number one collector piece; a collection all by itself!!!

I like your classy Blue background also!!

Seems the jumbo whittlers were often handled in ebony ,or is that just my anecdote.
One of my favorite patterns Eric and that is an awesome example.

A great piece Lloyd.

Seems the jumbo whittlers were often handled in ebony ,or is that just my anecdote.
One of my favorite patterns Eric and that is an awesome example.

A great piece Lloyd.
I agree with you Lyle. Most of those stout whittlers were black wood bound!!

Some GREAT knives being posted!!!:thumbsup::cool:
Thank You Kevin, Eric and Lloyd what a knife!!! Love the bone and the catalog that goes with it!!:D

Dave

Thanks Jamie, Duncan, Lambertiana, Charlie, Paul, Lyle, Mike and Dave for your very nice comments on my MW Lockback Hunter!! I think this is my last knife purchase before the OKCA show next month:eek: Thanks to all that make this thread such an inspiration in the pursuit of vintage/antique knives! My bank account not so much:D!!

Tweedale has three paragraphs on Robert Bunting & Sons. Apparently, Robert Bunting was one of the first Sheffield makers of Bowie Knives. His first trade listing was in 1822 (I may be able to find the date he registered with the Company of Cutlers). He died in 1850, aged 74. The business then passed to his son Richard, still being called R.Bunting & Sons, and they were still in business, and with Richard still working, in the early 1870's. He died on 12th August 1876, aged 74. The business appears to have died with him.

Any thoughts on the original form of that blade?
I hope you don't mind my bringing your post over into this thread, Jack.
The tang stamp on this little gem actually says: R. Bunting & Son, rather than Sons. I wonder if that narrows down the date any.
R. Bunting & son 4 .jpg I have to include the pile side picture, because it's just so pretty. :)
R. Bunting & son 5 .jpg

So, Tweedale and Levine disagree on dates and markings. I wonder who is right??

I agree the pile side is nice, r8shell!
I could never decide whether the blade was a spear or a wharncliffe. I did observe the knife has retained wonderful walk and talk after all those years! The owner(s) knew about oiling the joint, and Bunting did a great job treating the steel!!
May you enjoy it in good health, r8shell!! Some day you will be able to say you have a 200 year old knife!!:)

I could never decide whether the blade was a spear or a wharncliffe. I did observe the knife has retained wonderful walk and talk after all those years! The owner(s) knew about oiling the joint, and Bunting did a great job treating the steel!!
May you enjoy it in good health, r8shell!! Some day you will be able to say you have a 200 year old knife!!:)
Thank you, Charlie. We should all live so long!

I hope you don't mind my bringing your post over into this thread, Jack.
The tang stamp on this little gem actually says: R. Bunting & Son, rather than Sons. I wonder if that narrows down the date any.
View attachment 865615 I have to include the pile side picture, because it's just so pretty. :)
View attachment 865621

No Rachel, I've got so behind with this thread, I've been afraid to show my face :rolleyes: Lovely old knife :thumbsup:

When it comes to Sheffield, my money would always be on Tweedale :thumbsup:

I thought it might be helpful to repost this here also (originally from the EDC thread):

Tweedale reproduces a trade ad with 'R. Bunting & Sons', but doesn't give a date. I may have a copy in one of my own trade catalogues (which you also have in PDF form Charlie). Possibly it is his ad from 1839, which Tweedale refers to in the text. Robert Bunting was at this time working with his sons - Richard, George, and Abner. The change to R. Bunting & Son came after 1856, the son being Richard Bunting's son Henry. During this period, and in the 1860's, they were located on Milton Street, Sheffield, where I had my climbing adventures last week ;) :thumbsup:

The first listing I can find for Robert Bunting is in the 1822 Yorkshire trade directory, where he is listed as a pen and pocket knife manufacturer. He is omitted from the 1823 Yorkshire directory, but is listed in the 1825 Sheffield trade directory. Interestingly, George and Richard are listed on their own, in the 1833 directory, as cutlers, while Robert is listed separately, though on the same street, and possibly at the same address, as a pocket and self-defence knife manufacturer. In the 1852 directory, Richard is listed as R. Bunting & Son, while Robert Bunting is listed separately, on the same street, but at a different address (possibly this is a reference to the business rather than the individual). This directory includes listings for both R. Bunting & Son and Robert Bunting & Son, silver fruit and dessert knife manufacturers, at the same address. Richard and the 'factory' are at 10 Regent Street, while Robert is at 16 Regent Street. Robert Bunting & Son are listed in the 1855 directory of the Northern Counties. In the 1856 Sheffield directory, Richard Bunting & Son are listed at Boston Works, Milton Street. The only Robert Bunting listed is a shopkeeper. In the 1859 directory, Richard Bunting is listed as running the company, Robert Bunting & Son, with the earlier address given for both his home and the works. In the 1862 directory, Henry Bunting is recorded as being at Richard Bunting & Son, with the company recorded separately, still on Milton Street. The firm are not included in the 1879 directory.

Last edited:
Back