1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 12 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, March 23; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Both Gutta Percha and hard rubber were used but not much after the 1920 for GP, and I've never seen a post WWII with the black rubber. Be careful with those as some modern solvents will make them "sticky" and ultrasonic cleaning will tear them apart.

Campbellclanman and knowtracks like this.
  2. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yeah Jeff I do know what you mean - that’s why I couldn’t place a name to it, thank you eisman for the information.

Hard to describe- it’s defin a Composite- I am sure that it’s not a Black Delrin - well if it is - never have I seen it referred to as such by anyone - but there’s all ways room for improvement :)

I guess you could say it’s exactly what Case used with their black handles?

Actually Jeff - LF&C with their “Perfect Stag” Black Composite - that I think would be an exact match with what you have there.

3. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, fellas, always great info on the Old Knives thread!

4. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Jeff Sir, here is that LF&C Composite I was telling you about, I would put money on it that it's the same material....

[​IMG]

This is a stunning Whittler gifted to me by our one and only Herder.......( Many thanks again Herder Sir )..

[​IMG]

Moulded to imitate Stag..

[​IMG]

GasMan1, Duckdog, knowtracks and 8 others like this.
  5. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Beauty, Duncan. I don't think mine is nearly that old, but it looks like the same material.

6. E40

E40 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I found these in my late stepfathers collection of knives - collection of users, NRA, North American Hunting club and other assorted "knives". I know they are fairly old, but not uncommon. The Zippo knife I thought was interesting. Apparently that company had something to do with tobacco production. Figuring I might put them amongst my old decoys and shell boxes as decorations. IMG_1424 1.jpg IMG_1426 1.jpg IMG_1427 1.jpg IMG_1428  1.jpg

7. E40

Oct 13, 2012
    A couple more old knives. This is made by COLONIAL, RI, USA Some sort of promo knife I would assume. IMG_1453 1.jpg
    This is my great grandfather's name and where he lived. Also appears to be a promo knife, made by "N.C. Co. CANTON,O" so again, assuming, made by a company in Canton Ohio.
    IMG_1455 1.jpg

Made by Imperial, RI, USA. I guess some people know that it has a rolling pin that locks the blade if you close it in a vertical position. Turn it 180 degrees, press the blade down to release pressure, pin rolls out and blade will open. Pretty cool.
    IMG_1457 1.jpg
    Victorinox, Switzerland
    IMG_1459 1.jpg
    Old Camillus. Says "Camillus" over "New York"
    IMG_1461 1.jpg

8. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks, and very neat to see the knife and card together, and from a great guy to boot!!!

Beautiful knives, and quite interesting to see and compare them together.

Wonderful examples, and Happy Belated Birthday my friend!!! I can't believe that you are 30 already. :)

Always enjoy seeing Sheffield examples.

Your knife dates to the 1960s era and was the last of the pruner models from Ulster. Ulster pruners from post-WWII through the 1950s had bails which were eliminated around 1960.
    Enclosed is a catalog cut which Ulster describes as having "Black Stagged Plastic Handles".

BF Ulster Pruner 1960 .jpg

9. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Great info, herder, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

10. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Glad to help and that's a fine old knife which is over 50 years old.

11. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks for that Ulster information, herder. Do you (or does anyone else) know when Ulster was last stamped on a knife, after the Baers bought them out??

12. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Goins states that Ulster was dropped around 1972 which I think is about right.
    I believe they were still stamping the Ulster name on knives at least until 1970 or 1971, and probably right to the end around 1972.
    There also were some Camillus made scout knives which bear the Ulster name dating to 1984 / 1985.

Augie and knowtracks like this.
  13. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks, herder. There seem to be a lot of Ulster-stamped scout knives in existence. I wonder if anyone has studied them to determine which were made respectively at Ulster, Schrade, Camillus or wherever?? It would make an interesting study!!

14. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Novelty Cutlery Co, Canton, OH. You could send them pictures of loved ones, business logos, or whatever else you wanted, and they would put in under clear celluloid for your knife handle.

Duckdog, E40, r8shell and 1 other person like this.
  15. E40

Oct 13, 2012
    Thanks for the information. He never seemed like the type of person who would have done this, but I only knew him as a grumpy old man!

16. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Have this New York Knife Co Hammer Brand Jack in the hard rubber, I can't recall seeing another NYK in this material.

IMG_7523.jpg

17. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Bokers Corn Knife
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The lettering is there, although faded. I just noticed that the "R" in Bokers is crossed by the "S" to make "Rx", which is fitting for a scalpel. :cool::thumbsup:

18. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Good stuff, Augie and r8shell. I just acquired this nice Camillus #12 medium jack from the late '40s.
    Would you call this Rogers bone, or what?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Nice one Jeff, Augie and r8shell!!! Jeff, I'd call it Rogers bone but I am not the source of knowledge:confused:;):)

Campbellclanman likes this.
  20. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, Paul, that's two votes for Rogers!