Olsen OK knives

I Itsmebsh , welcome to the forum!
I can tell you that some people here are very interested in what you are posting. Thanks for taking time and figuring out how to post pictures. I am enjoying learning about Olsen's.
Keep em coming, at your leisure, of course.:thumbsup:
Mark
Thanks it's been fun sharing info and pics.

You're killing me Brian. I'm a little old to be adopted but......... Thanks for all the info and photos.
joeradza joeradza D Duckdog this one is for you two lol. I knew it was in the safe. It was hiding from me. My 511 Fur * Long.
AzNYsSL.jpg

Like the starred tang stamp. I've got to find another 511 to have as a user.

I'm ready just not prepared to be overwhelmed.
Brian in your opinion what caused the demise of the Olsen company? It's obvious that they had an array of products that appear to be well placed.

I'm ready just not prepared to be overwhelmed.
Brian in your opinion what caused the demise of the Olsen company? It's obvious that they had an array of products that appear to be well placed.
Well, in the late 70's early 80's times were hard. Marbles and others were having hard times too. Olsen started making their Mark 5 700 series knife to cut cost to try too help lower the price. And it didn't help that a lot of lunch box knives went out the back door. I'm sure you know what I mean by that. And Olsen was a small company. So a lot of people think Olsen shut down or moved to Germany after their last fire. Not true, they rebuilt and sold the company in 1982 to 3 investors from Grand Rapids mi. who ran the company until 1985 and then filed bankruptcy . Olsen retained the Olsen OK stamp and sold them the Olsen Knife Company with a banner trademark that they used on their kitchen cutlery line. So the Olsen fixed blades out there with the banner etching were made between 1982 and 1985. I hope this helps, that's a condensed version. "Maybe" in the book it will be the whole complete story.

Well, in the late 70's early 80's times were hard. Marbles and others were having hard times too. Olsen started making their Mark 5 700 series knife to cut cost to try too help lower the price. And it didn't help that a lot of lunch box knives went out the back door. I'm sure you know what I mean by that. And Olsen was a small company. So a lot of people think Olsen shut down or moved to Germany after their last fire. Not true, they rebuilt and sold the company in 1982 to 3 investors from Grand Rapids mi. who ran the company until 1985 and then filed bankruptcy . Olsen retained the Olsen OK stamp and sold them the Olsen Knife Company with a banner trademark that they used on their kitchen cutlery line. So the Olsen fixed blades out there with the banner etching were made between 1982 and 1985. I hope this helps, that's a condensed version. "Maybe" in the book it will be the whole complete story.
x9aEflL.jpg
Ok here you go this is the Olsen 200 old sticker. Look closely what company did Olsen have make this knife for them to try to help that company out. ?

I'm no expert but I'd guess Marbles.
joeradza joeradza winner winner chicken dinner. Did you notice the dagger on the sheath . Olsen used that for a little while before Olsen OK. At least until Gerber threatened to sue them. But I don't blame Gerber for that. So you will find some older Olsen's with dagger sheath. So don't through them away .

joeradza joeradza winner winner chicken dinner. Did you notice the dagger on the sheath . Olsen used that for a little while before Olsen OK. At least until Gerber threatened to sue them. But I don't blame Gerber for that. So you will find some older Olsen's with dagger sheath. So don't through them away .
Do I get mashed potatoes with that?

tmZHG3c.jpg
joeradza joeradza Ok sense we went here. This is the big bad knife that started the fire at the factory in Howard City in 1978. Notice the nice shiny plastic handle. Well when they were shaping the handle the little hot pieces of plastic got sucked into the dust collector . Hence the fire, Olsen stop experimenting with plastic handles.

tmZHG3c.jpg
joeradza joeradza Ok sense we went here. This is the big bad knife that started the fire at the factory in Howard City in 1978. Notice the nice shiny plastic handle. Well when they were shaping the handle the little hot pieces of plastic got sucked into the dust collector . Hence the fire, Olsen stop experimenting with plastic handles.
joeradza joeradza shew Alan I'm wore out. That's a lot of info and pics for 3 days. I think that I will sit back and take a break and answer questions for a little bit. I have to save something for the book lol. But seriously if you guys have questions ask me, I will answer them if i can. I hope that I have done pretty good so far to gain your confidence to ask me. Trust me a lot more pictures to come , there is a safe full.

joeradza joeradza shew Alan I'm wore out. That's a lot of info and pics for 3 days. I think that I will sit back and take a break and answer questions for a little bit. I have to save something for the book lol. But seriously if you guys have questions ask me, I will answer them if i can. I hope that I have done pretty good so far to gain your confidence to ask me. Trust me a lot more pictures to come , there is a safe full.

I truly appreciate what you have provided to us in just this short span. There are so many interesting tidbits in the past few postings that I have to keep going back to read them. And what wonderful knives! The glimpses of history through the lens of a small industry and hard working folks. I still have some Herter's hunting gear (purchased before they folded and Cabela's took over the brand) so I am intrigued by that line of knives and its history, but Fur Long?? What a story that must be. As fast as I forget stuff, I could use some more learning.
- Stuart

I truly appreciate what you have provided to us in just this short span. There are so many interesting tidbits in the past few postings that I have to keep going back to read them. And what wonderful knives! The glimpses of history through the lens of a small industry and hard working folks. I still have some Herter's hunting gear (purchased before they folded and Cabela's took over the brand) so I am intrigued by that line of knives and its history, but Fur Long?? What a story that must be. As fast as I forget stuff, I could use some more learning.
- Stuart
Thanks D Duckdog - Stuart, I'm not done. And I will still share both pics and info. I am just waiting to see what kind of questions I get, and to see how many people are really interested in this little company and the great knives they made. Also had made for them.

Back