One knife for 2011?

Anybody going to try for one knife all year?

I'm going to give it a shot with my Vic Electrician. I might carry another knife with it on occasion, but I plan to carry the Electrician every day in 2011.

I might not make it a week b/c my Case Amber Bone Texas Jack is a jealous knife and always sneaks back into my pocket and kicks everybody else out, but I'm going to give it a try :)

Good luck with that Mr. Benny. One of the reasons I have more than one knife is so I have a little variety---- so I don't think I will be participating, but it will be interesting to see the results.

Much, much easier said than done. I've been carrying my Tribal Spear every day since September, and the temptation to drop something else in the pocket instead is almost unbearable. And it's not because there is anything wrong with the Tribal Spear, it's as close to perfect as you're gonna get in a production knife.

I just want to mix things up a bit.

That's a tough one. I have quite a few that would do fine for anything that came up but some times I need to change it up for sanity sake. Would make a lot of financial sense though. ;)

Nope ..... :d

Agreed.

I really only carried three or four different knives this year so I probably wouldn't have a problem with only one. My "resolution" for 2011 is to stick to one brand. Not one knife.

I've never given Buck the attention it deserves so I'm going to pick up a couple slip joints and lock-back folders from Buck and give them a try.

Maybe in 2012. I'm new to traditionals, so my collection is barely budding. So far I've only got a Case medium stockman, a Buck 301, and my Canal Street Hawbaker muskrat that just arrived today. Too few to choose from yet.

My wish list (so far) for 2011 is:

Case Congress CV in chestnut bone
Case Swayback Jack CV in chestnut
Queen Dan Burke small Barlow
2009 BF Barlow (if I can find one)
Buck 303 Dymondwood
GEC Executive Melon Whittler
Tony Bose congress in ivory (hey, I can dream, right?)

Out of those maybe I'll find the perfect one that I remain faithful to.

No chance here. I can't even carry the same knife for a week, much less a year. I have 8-10 that I carry at different times.

Nope, just got too many new knives. Good on ya, though. A noble endeavor.

... I might not make it a week b/c my Case Amber Bone Texas Jack is a jealous knife and always sneaks back into my pocket and kicks everybody else out, but I'm going to give it a try :)

Why not try your Case Amber Bone for a year instead of the Electrician? If it's the dominant knife in your life anyway, might be easier that way.

I may be giving this one a chance.I love everything about this knife. The MooreMaker has been taking a back seat.

DSCI0033.jpg

Why not try your Case Amber Bone for a year instead of the Electrician? If it's the dominant knife in your life anyway, might be easier that way.

I'd say right now I'm a 50/30/20 split between the Electrician/Texas Jack/Mini Trapper so I'm going for a year with the Electrician. I also throw a Sodbuster, Peanut, Farmer, Tinker, and some Old Timers in the pocket from time to time. If I can make it a month I'll be shocked. I'm hoping that if nothing else it will keep me from spending as much money this year.

I keep thinking I should try it--after all, why not have a "trusted companion" that I can slip into my pocket like my Dad does (Buck 301) and my Grandfather did (Buck 309)? I keep thinking it will be the Buck ComfortCraft Yellow 303 but then I have a need for a screwdriver or a can opener and think, my SAK Pioneer or the new Spartan should take over. I can't bring myself to carrying more than one unless I'm hunting whereas one goes on the belt--just not that knifeknutty I guess?

Going hunting with my Dad and BIL tomorrow so I know I'll have a Buck 110 on my belt; but not sure if I will take the 303 or the Spartan in my pocket. I'm in a "traditional" frame of mind, but boy that screwdriver came in handy today with the weird screw that my broadhead quiver had--maybe the Spartan will win out. (I know the SAK is considered traditional, but these are the mindgames that are played in my mind to help with my indecisiveness.) Who knows....decisions, decisions, decisions. I wish I could play...only time will tell.
Matt

Last edited:
Well' it's only been about a week for me so far but I'm giving it a shot.

My knife of choice is a "Gum Fuddy" Case Humpback Stockman that I got from my lovely wife for Christmas.

Feel free to call me a lunatic but I'm actually shooting for the same knife for the rest of my life.:eek: For some strange reason, I am very confident that I can pull this off. I guess I am just at that point in my life or something, I don't know, but I feel extremely capable of doing this.

I think it boils down to the fact that I really want a knife that, eventually has been with me everyday for many years. That right there is a piece of my knife collecting hobby that is missing.

I will still carry other knives in addition to my primary knife but the "Gum Fuddy" will always be in my pocket. (At least that's my plan anyways)

Have I gone off the deap end?

Heck no I have many knives so I have many options. You know how us females are, can't make up are mind for nothing. :D

vendor link removed by moderators

I might try this one for a year. I got it right before Christmas anf its been in my pocket ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought from the title of your thread that you meant only buying one knife for a year. I can do that. At least I think I can. But I don't think I can stick with only one knife for the entire year.

- Christian

I have a back pocket knife that i have been carrying since 2001. It is not a traditional pattern so ill leave it at that, but i generally carry something traditional in my front pocket and the last few years i have been getting a new trad knife to carry for the year. This year is the Boker canoe that i won here last week. For me carrying a knife for just one year is barely enough time to let it aquire a few memories. I say go for it.

Back