Ontario Rat 1

is $46 too much for this knife, i can find the black one for 28, but really want od green.... which is $46...am i spending to much just to have it green?

Last edited:
Hey, Taiwan make majority if the high end fasteners...I don't see why they are not capable. China in the other hand is unstable...If the Rat 1 was not made in Taiwan, then they are not able to offer at such great price.

Just saw them on the co. website and that auction site cheaper than $40

Yeah, if this knife were made in the States or Japan it would cost at least twice as much. Also, the scales are NOT Zylel as everyone seems to think... they are Nylon 6, the same material used in Glock pistols.

I knew it, I shouldn't have looked into this thread :D

This is also the great thing about this forum, because I probably would have overlooked this knife thinking that you can't get this kind of quality for the amount it sells for.

Yeah, if this knife were made in the States or Japan it would cost at least twice as much. Also, the scales are NOT Zylel as everyone seems to think... they are Nylon 6, the same material used in Glock pistols.

Good enough for me.

Most knife websites I've seen list zytel as the handle material. Wether it is or isn't I couldn't tell ya. It still is a great knife though!

Great knife. Tough as nails. I have thought of making g10 handle scales since the zytel scales are low traction.

I couldn't stand the teflon coating so I decided to stonewash mine.

AH132062.JPG

AH132066.JPG

AH142082.JPG

AH142085.JPG

AH142087.JPG

AH142086.JPG

That I sweet man... Mind me asking how you did that?

smeecogg, that looks nice, I went with plain satin and coyote brown, but that pic' makes me want that one! :)

Very nice!!!! Who did the scales, I think I would like to get a pair?
Thanks knifehunt.I made the scales send me a visitor message with your contact info.maybe we could work out a trade of some kind.

Nope, and mine span from the early ones with the single (reversible) thumbstud, to the latest ones. Quality is totally consistent across the years, and I've not found a problem with any of them.

Thanks for the info. I don't care for liner locks. But this little trooper has had such a great rep for so long, that I have to try one out. :thumbup:

Back