Ontario Rat 1

Where the heck do you live that doesn't allow the blade length of a Rat 1 ? .....The blade length is already pretty medium out of the box.

Great knife. After modding mine, I gained a new respect for AUS 8. It literally ate hacksaw blades and I needed a carbide rod saw to get through it. Brought it down to legal carry length and full convexed it. Still have a minty fresh satin & orange model, but figured the black & black version was safe to experiment on. Still locks up solid and dead center closed despite the abuse it went through. It's the rented mule of the folder world.

RatModded1_Large.jpg

Last edited:
My rats. I have been using the green handled black blade as my edc for about two weeks. The brown handled satin blade I just got yesterday (2/1/2013).

rat1_open.jpg

rat1_closed.jpg

I am new to knives, but based on what I have seen so far the RAT1 is a great value.

Now I am looking at some of Ontarios fixed blades - RTAK II, RAT 3 AND RAT 7. Don't want to derail this thread but can anyone comment on these fixed blades?

Last edited:
Where the heck do you live that doesn't allow the blade length of a Rat 1 ? .....The blade length is already pretty medium out of the box.

Rhode Island has a 3" tip-to-handle legal limit. Sure puts a damper on carry options with most companies starting at 3.25". Thankfully, I have plenty of traditional slipjoints to see me through such hardship.

Rhode Island has a 3" tip-to-handle legal limit. Sure puts a damper on carry options with most companies starting at 3.25". Thankfully, I have plenty of traditional slipjoints to see me through such hardship.

RI kind of makes up for it with fairly decent gun laws.

I really like my venom green with a satin blade I got a couple of days ago from KW. I like it bc the scale isn't basic black like a lot of my other folders.

I stripped the paint off of the clip and heat treated the clip....it looks Much better IMO. I already have a couple of nicks from it...I guess it's mine now.

I really like my venom green with a satin blade I got a couple of days ago from KW. I like it bc the scale isn't basic black like a lot of my other folders.

I stripped the paint off of the clip and heat treated the clip....it looks Much better IMO. I already have a couple of nicks from it...I guess it's mine now.

I have the same green/black one from KW on its way, really looking forward to it.

Well guys and gals I came home to a pleasant surprise this afternoon; my rat 1 arrived a day early! Man, for 28 buck I am blown away with the quality of this knife. It arrived dead center and silky smooth; the blade has a nice even grind on both sides and easily shaved hair and sliced through phonebook paper along the entire edge of the blade. Lockup was at 50 percent with absolutely no side to side or up and down play. In all honesty the lockup is the closest of any of my knives to my Sebenza and Umnumzaan, and that is saying a lot. There is one blemish on the pommel (is that the correct term for the end of the knife?) but you really have to be closely inspecting the handle to even notice. I bought this knife because I wanted something else to carry to work and give my pm2 a break. I am not sure about how well AUS8 steel holds an edge, but I am excited to see how the knife holds up after some use. To say I am happy with this knife would be an understatement. Without knowing how well AUS8 steel holds up I would honestly be impressed with the knife at twice the price. Sorry for the ramble, I don’t know if I was just lucky or the quality is always this good, but it is not often I feel that I got more than my monies worth.:thumbup:

Got my RAT1 yesterday, man it's a helluva lot of knife for the money.

Very impressed!

k4cz6d.jpg

I got a Desert Tan in the mail yesterday, my cats need fired, to many Rat's around here! :)

I just received a new venom green/satin blade Rat-1 today. Comparing it to my older first production run model I see a great improvement in the thumb stud. Much more comfortable than the original and now ambidextrous.

Man, this thread is really making me itch for one.

Been trying to scout for my next beater and this one just put the CS Voyager in the back burner (a bit large for me to EDC regularly).

This certainly isn't a new knife and I still remember when it came out in the old the RAT guys' sub-forums some years back. Didn't really pay much attention to it because it was a liner lock.

After all the positive feedback though and the dozens of Youtube stuff, I think I might just dive in and get one.

BTW, for those that haven't seen this yet, a long term review after surviving a tour of duty in the sandbox -

[youtube]p39s9e7vBiw[/youtube]

Just ordered a satin blade in venom green. Stoked to get this one. I think a coyote brown will be in my future eventually as well, since I had a really hard time deciding between the two.

Back