1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!
  3. Hey folks! We were alerted to a bug where several hundred members somehow got permanent paid memberships. We're going through and correcting that now. Somehow some of you somehow got yeaaaaaaars of free memberships, and, well, it happens. If your membership accidentally is turned off please post in the Service & Support forum thread with your transaction ID and I'll fix it

Osage is the new Black, er...Bog Oak...

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Southern Gent, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Kal-El

Kal-El Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Nice score on that Esquire!

2. Kal-El

Sep 30, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bmurray, prom52 and Scotcha like this.
  3. Luca917

Luca917 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Oh Serg!

Kal-El likes this.
  4. Tekton

Tekton Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 8, 2015
    IMG_0478.PNG

Bmurray, prom52, Luca917 and 2 others like this.
  5. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Tek & Sergio
    yall have the best knives:thumbsup:

Luca917 and Kal-El like this.
  6. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Handyman - my first snag on a Fiddleback Friday a week ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Bmurray, Choppaman, Scotcha and 3 others like this.
  7. PolRoger

PolRoger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2007
    [​IMG]

VANCE, Bmurray, Kal-El and 1 other person like this.
  8. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Heck of a first! Congrats! What's the steel thickness on it?

9. RobbieB

Jul 13, 2017
    Thanks, I'm very happy with it. It's 3/32 A2, SFT.

10. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Perfection! :thumbsup:

11. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Agree

Odaon likes this.
  12. Luca917

Jan 10, 2016
    Excellent job on the first snag. Beautiful blade.

13. RobbieB

Jul 13, 2017
    Thanks.

So, I found Thoughts on different woods for handle scales where Andy explains how he finishes scales. I understand osage will darken over time, especially with UV exposure, and there's really no getting around that, but is there a recommended regimen for maintaining osage handles, anything folks have found that works better at preserving the wood and its beauty?

14. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    I think the consensus you'll get from this group is that they love how Osage ages - to the point that they'd let em soak up UV rays 24x7 if they could. :) Being of the order of Bog Oak bellied Sneetches I'll often kid around with the Osage bellied Sneetches that Osage will darken to become Bog Oak in 5,000 years or so.

Anyway, not sure if you're asking about general preservation or if you're asking about slowing the Osage darkening process. This has always been a good source for general maintenance if you haven't found this one. It took me a while because maintenance is slightly misspelled in the title and I couldn't find my bookmark.
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-optimization-and-improvement-thread.1254062/

Hope that helps.

15. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    i had to knock the dust off this one & clip it to my front pocket tonight
    [​IMG]

Kal-El and Nbrackett like this.
  16. Luca917

Jan 10, 2016
    Damn Phillip!

Robbie, I agree with what Warrior said. Most of us love how osage ages with time. Look through the threads and you'll see many pics that provide good examples. I have no idea how to prevent this, but I use Howard's Feed and Wax on my wood scales. You can get it at Lowe's.

Nbrackett likes this.
  17. RobbieB

Jul 13, 2017
    Warrior, thanks for the link to that maintenance post! There's a lot of great information there and in other posts it links to. That is a fantastic resource.

Phillip, that's beautiful!

Luca, yeah, I'm not going to even attempt to fight the color change. I just wondered about general preventative maintenance of wood and if there was anything unique to osage. I think I only have one other knife with wooden scales (walnut). I've used a beeswax & orange oil product on that one, but it's not nearly as nice as my Fiddleback. I thought I'd try to start off right with it from the very beginning.

18. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    thanks,

the Howards Feed-N-Wax we use is beeswax & orange oil

Luca917 likes this.
  19. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Check out this little Osage gem I got at Bladeshow from the esteemed Carl Rechsteiner @crex

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PolRoger and Nbrackett like this.
  20. Kal-El

Sep 30, 2010
    I was able to handle that one at Carl's table, Andy. Outstanding blade! It really made me appreciate his work that much more.