1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

OT/ Glock .45?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Lycosa, Dec 12, 2012.

1. gixxer1237

gixxer1237

Mar 10, 2010
    Not a Glock fan. Had a 23 and a 21. The 23 would not group at all. But it was a police trade in so may have just been worn out. My dog ate it(literly) so I sold the remaining bits to a buddy(really all he did was chew the bottom of the grip and destroy a mag). The 21 was ok accurate wise but bigger than my h&k USP in the grip and just never fit. So it went to a friend in a trade. I really have nothing against em except they don't fit me.

2. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    A pricy 1911 is a thing of beauty. If you have one that is reliable. I have shot a double handful, and had about an even number with reliability issues. Never had a Kimber jam on me. But have had quite a few issues with Springfield, some costing nearly as much as the Kimbers.

The trigger is what really makes them attractive to me. Nice slim grip and they are comfortable.

But, unless I was paying out for a higher end model, I would just go for the Glock. Shoot it, neglect it, drop it, leave it dirty and it will be just fine.

That does not mean that I am immune to the desire for a high priced custom. I just don't have the scratch right now.

3. kniferMan

kniferMan Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 16, 2011
    I've shot a number of Glocks and haven't come across one I didn't like. From large to compact and I have big hands. The only problem I did encounter was the slide sometimes can catch your thumb if you're not careful.

That being said, I'm currently on the hunt for a stainless 1911. I need something to slap my tiger hide grips on :D.

4. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    Everyone knows that Glock is better than Springfield, and a Benchmade is better than a Spiderco.. these are objective facts

also ford is better than chevy, Bud light is better than miller light, .40 is better than .45 and Mac is better than PC

[​IMG]

But seriously, there are choices because everyone's different. For ME the Glock 22 is the perfect pistol. Your mileage will likely vary. Shoot them all.. glock, springfield, smith, kimber, etc, and find the one that YOU love... they're all excellent weapons, and they all have a strong following

just don't buy a 9mm... -.-

5. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    That would be my thoughts as well and I feel I should not have left that out of my view.

I can speak only of my LB 1911. Reliable as anything with over 5k rounds and never a hint of a hiccup.

I do enjoy shooting the glock, I just would never trade my LB for one.

6. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Man! Thanks for all the replies... and keeping it cool.
    My neighbor just stopped in and he had his Colt .45 stuck in his belt. Dang.
    I just really like the modern simplicity of the Glock, more and more though.

7. gixxer1237

gixxer1237

Mar 10, 2010
    I love a fine 1911, and you haven't lived right until you've carried a custom colt commander, but the math just doesn't add up for me on a combat pistol. 7 rounds of 45, 38 oz, 4 pound trigger, huh, wait, I was trying to make it sound bad. Oh, is cost more that my first car! And you have to train to flick the safety off on the draw. It also has more moving parts that give it a statistically higher chance of one failing. And to be honest it doesn't do great when built tight and it gets dirty.
    Pistols are a personal choice. Determine the use, caliber, size, and action then just go shoot everything that peaks your fancy.

8. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    That's a dang good post, gixxer!
    It's gonna be a Glock... I think.
    I wonder if Jerry owns a Glock? I bet Jennifer does. :D

9. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    I know for sure that he owns a Para Ordnance PDA .45 :)

10. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    ok but what about Jennifer?
    Those Glock polymer magazines are kinda cool too, eh?

11. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    I don't know what the dilemma is UNC! If you are a glock man then Shout it out!

But just to add a fun pic to the thread here is my (goofier by the day) brother home for Thanksgiving. He wants a 45 for Miami and out on all the ships and boats he works on. I keep telling him glock but he keeps saying he likes shooting my 1911 better. HAHA..

I made sure he loaded 45acp rounds into it :p

[​IMG]

That is my "range" :D

12. salvo

salvo

Mar 14, 2006
    I had a bunch of Glock's I thinned them down to three, G27, G17, & G20. I sold the G21 thinking the G20 10MM had it covered. The G21 is the only one I miss.
    I have a couple of Colt 1911's if I get the .45 urge.

13. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Thanks Nef! Yer brother is better looking than you. :)
    I will sleep on this and make up my ming in the morning.
    Thanks everyone. Please continue to discuss!

14. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    That is okay, he is smarter too :)

Subscribed to see your decision.

15. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    lol! Yer my Nef!!
    Thank you Kevin! I'll be back...
    Rolf

16. Havoc550

Havoc550 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 9, 2011
    Get an HK USP .45 and forget the Glock hype bandwagon. Glock grew in popularity due to its use in movies, pop culture references, as a cheap law enforcement alternative, etc. The famous "Glock 7" reference in Die Hard 2 really gave it some serious popularity even though the concept was pure BS. And there is the word "Glock", people think it's fun to say, it's cool, it's hip: GLOCK OR NOTHIN' MAN!! GLOCK, NUFF' SAID!! I"LL TAKE ANY FIREARM OUT THERE AS LONG AS IT'S A GLOCK!! Blah blah blah blah blah blah

Seriously, hold an HK USP .45, study it's fit and finish, operate the slide, decock it, disassemble/reassemble it, hopefully fire it and then do the same with a Glock. If price is no issue and you have no previous bias, you will walk away with the HK. I have given Glock several attempts to win my business over the years by renting them and shooting several of them owned by my friends. Hell, I almost bought a Glock before I ever touched an HK due to the never ending hype. Thankfully I didn't :)

17. gusbuster

gusbuster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I like Glocks, you can throwem in the dirt and treatem like a lawn mower, and you're not worried about scratching them. I EDC a Glock 27 with a 357 Sig barrel. It holds 9+1, and I got a 15 round mag as a back up. I got a nice custom Spring Field Armory 1911 hard chrome and blued, but it's too big and heavy to EDC concealed in south FL.

18. tomthebaker

tomthebaker

Dec 9, 2005
    Lycosa, I have both a Glock 17, and a G26 in 9mm for carry, but I also recently picked up a G20SF. (All with Barsto Barrels) The slimmer frame fits me ok, and the 10mm is great for 4 legged creatures as well as 2-legged.

Generally, I prefer my 9mm in plastic (Glock), and my 45 on steel (1911), but the 10mm is a horse of a different color.

Check out Underwood Ammo's 135 grain 10mm going 1600fps!

My G17. The G26 is equipped the same way.

[​IMG]

19. Mr.LCV

Mr.LCV

Dec 1, 2012
    well my dad has a glock in 40 imho my hk is 10 times nicer too shoot def is more accurate but the glock is a good bang for the buck although the sights were so off he had to buy new sights for it. The best value for a .45 thats synthetic would be a FN they are accurate, you can shoot lead no worrys (you can with glock but they foul more easily) and FN i havent seen any bulged cases of course if you dont reload like me then thats not a problem.

20. mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Jun 2, 2005
    i carried a glock 21 as a cop, and a 17, Ive carried 1911, HK and smith's. I like the glock.....